Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide Squad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Jai Courtney is the poor man's...everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

That's the least whelmed I've been in a while.
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=43944

Leto partially done up as the Joker

I stand corrected...!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I stand corrected...!

Feeling whelmed? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Slydice wrote: »

Er, I was actually saying that pic of Leto was even more underwhelming than the cast photo... It looks so awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Not a big fan of the Leto pic either. Then again set pics of Ledger not in full garb and make up had a similar effect and ended up turning out well. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Leto's Joker

CDZbuEiUUAAtGQb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Not a fan.

You can try an imitate the killing joke with the pose and the 'haha' style tattoo, but he just looks like a kid who has a thing for Marilyn Manson.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I have a feeling, now that Leto's Joker has been unveiled it'll kick up a ****-storm similar to the one started when Heath Ledger was cast in the role for The Dark Knight, and we all know how that went.

I don't like it, but i'll wait for the trailer before rushing to judgement.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I have a feeling, now that Leto's Joker has been unveiled it'll kick up a ****-storm similar to the one started when Heath Ledger was cast in the role for The Dark Knight, and we all know how that went.

I don't like it, but i'll wait for the trailer before rushing to judgement.

Here ya go...

I so f**king disappointed with this 'Joker' look, I really, really am. So, Joker just goes into Gotham Ink and says "Yeah, I'd like some tattoos to really hammer home that maniacal laugh that I do and just the general Joker theme, what if you inked 'HA HA HA' on my left tit, and then that trademark smile of mine on my inside forearm? That'll scare them. Oh, can I pay you per session? Thanks, man."

And then, the body ink is bad enough but that forehead "Damaged" piece? Ah please, please, just please, let this be a late April fools' joke...please! It's as if WWE did an interpretation of the Joker, and not DC/WB.

Yes, lots of fans threw a shítstorm when Ledger was announced, but that was because of the casting. From the first set pic of Ledger's Joker, people started getting on board then. I saw mostly positive reaction when Leto was announced, but this look they gave him is just wrong. Taking everything out bar Leto's face, he's got the psycho/maniac thing nailed, but the design department just f**ked one of the greatest comic book villains hard and dry.

I'm not 'out' on Suicide Squad, I will give it the benefit of the doubt until I actually see it, but I couldn't be much more disheartened with this first look at the new Joker.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't assume too much on what is basically a promotional picture but yeah, I'm not loving it either. The damaged ink on his forehead is particularly annoying. That being said he does look like the kind of psycho who would murder a child. ;)

I guess it's a wait and see job.

I read an interesting and fair point elsewhere that the reason for the grill could be due to repeated batterings from Batman over the years.

I have a lot of faith in Jared Leto to pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

Jsg6vhF.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I totally respect the decision to avoid comparisons with the Heath Ledger version, but this feels like something that's trying way too hard. Subtle as a brick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

It's just a promo pic, they will gauge fan reactions and hopefully drop the tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

The state of that tattoo on his forehead. Trying not to build up any high expectation of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,439 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I lost any hope for this when I saw Jai Courtney was in it nothing to do with how the Joker would look to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

"I just really need to focus on my art right now, mother!"

I don't have a problem with Leto being cast but those tattoos are a bit much, looks like someone who would be Joker's goon rather than the Joker himself. That "damaged" one is cringe.

I think it works a lot better without them
    dAx0vDQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Duggy747 wrote: »
    "I just really need to focus on my art right now, mother!"

I don't have a problem with Leto being cast but those tattoos are a bit much, looks like someone who would be Joker's goon rather than the Joker himself. That "damaged" one is cringe.

I think it works a lot better without them
    dAx0vDQ.jpg

Massive improvement. The tats are like someone trying to be edgy in a Marilyn Manson late 90s kind of way. Wouldn't be so terrible if it wasn't for the "Damaged" one, which a particularly poor choice. Honestly, I bet the Joker's middle class parents were appalled when he went to the mall like this.

• Advertisement

The damaged tattoo doesn't work for me because figuratively speaking, I don't believe the Joker would label himself like that.

It's just naff, hopefully they have the sense to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

He's not gonna be shirtless the entire movie, I don't think the tattoos will make much of a difference, though I do agree with the 'damaged' one being very out of character. Maybe it was forced on him in arkham asylum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

He's not gonna be shirtless the entire movie, I don't think the tattoos will make much of a difference, though I do agree with the 'damaged' one being very out of character. Maybe it was forced on him in arkham asylum?

By someone who insisted on a beautiful script? It's an explanation that could maybe sorta work, but it'd want to look less like something he got off Miami Ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Honestly, all this goes to show is how judgemental people are of people with tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

I wonder is this the look they were going for?

8s2MBa.jpg

Tbh, I wouldnt be surprised if we see a number of other releases of The Joker. This feels like its just testing the waters so to speak.

I would love them to throw a bit of a curve ball in the next release. Maybe have him looking at a picture of his wife (if they go down that story route) and a slight reflection of his face in frame. Something to remind us that he was at one point just a guy trying to do the best he could rather than focusing on "look at how psycho he looks"...

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Honestly, all this goes to show is how judgemental people are of people with tattoos.

Wrong. The criticisms come from the infuriating sense that - yet again - the fundamental nature of a comic book character is completely misunderstood by the suits behind these films. The Joker would never "do" tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,357 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah, maybe a tattood psychopathic, maniacal, killer is just the guy to right people's thoughts on tattood people....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I'd agree with doing away with the tatoos but he should have scars to replace some of them. The "hahas" should be scarred into his skin as if he did it to himself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I'd agree with doing away with the tatoos but he should have scars to replace some of them. The "hahas" should be scarred into his skin as if he did it to himself

Victor Zsasz?

• Advertisement

That's a ridiculous statement to be honest - I've ink myself, my OH has various pieces - no one here is offended by tattoos, just these terrible tattoos.

Advertisement