Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Lotto sold to UK 's Camelot

Options
  • 30-11-2014 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Went in to different shops today to do my numbers on the Daily Millions and both said you could only do quick picks .
    Did get to manage to do it 3rd time around .

Then bought a Euro Millions ticket and the nice yellow colour is gone , and they on plain white paper.

So it seems that Camelot have bought the National Lottery .

Also went online to check tonights numbers and the website is been upgraded .
    https://www.lottery.ie/prizes-and-results/?game=daily-million

Is this true ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Radio_Fan_67

In other news Elvis has died

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

In other news Elvis has died

That was years ago , but in this case the new lotto machines are only working since this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Should be green ticket now instead of the yellow tickets, don't know how you got a white one.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Is this true ?
    Donno how true it is but I do know when I was in town Sat I was told by the Rep that The scratch cards are being replaced that night(Sat) and also the machines were being upgraded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The sale to Camelot (& An Post) was agreed last year I think.

€400m for 20 years if memory serves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Dey turk R lotto.

800 years etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Well that explains why I ended up with 4 lines of the same numbers when I tried to to my regular ones on Saturday. Maybe they were lucky though and I won the jackpot 4 times?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

I had a nightmare first hour of work today trying to figure out how the new machine works. I should have had training but our genius management only sent two staff members for training, neither of whom ever work on Sundays so for the first day of the new machine I just had to wing it. The customers were very understanding though, so I was grateful for that. By the end of the first hour I'd figured out how to do everything except print out the jackpot info. Still have no idea how to do that. It was a similar situation when leap cards came to Galway. We got no training for those either.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Oh, and this probably explains why you can do the lotto in the post office now too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Machines went live today. All scratchcards and playslips replaced. New lottery company is premier lotteries ireland. Camelot with An Post.

Things will settle in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Premier Lotteries Ireland, a consortium comprising Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (the owner of the Camelot Group), An Post and An Post pension funds.

There has been major disruption to the staff in the National Lottery for the last year or so. Many of the staff were pushed out or took early retirement. Horrible atmosphere for those who worked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Its not really a case of the British buying the lottery more a case of the Canadians renting the Irish lottery for 20 years who also happen to control the British Lottery. Considering Ireland is so small compared to the UK, I imagine that they will operate the Irish lotto as some sort of division of their UK camelot business.

Lotto is a tax on fools anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Stinicker wrote: »
    Its not really a case of the British buying the lottery more a case of the Canadians renting the Irish lottery for 20 years who also happen to control the British Lottery. Considering Ireland is so small compared to the UK, I imagine that they will operate the Irish lotto as some sort of division of their UK camelot business.

Yes the ultimate owners of both Camelot and the Irish Lottery are a Canadian pension fund, although An Post pension fund has a minority stake (in the Irish one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Oh, and this probably explains why you can do the lotto in the post office now too.

You always could I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Stinicker wrote: »

Lotto is a tax on fools anyway.

750 (known) millionaires would probably disagree with you on that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

they sold it last year

they threw the baby out with the water

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lottery_(Ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I was in the newsagents earlier and I overheard the lady ahead of me in the queue asking for a Winning Streak scratch card. The shop assistant was explaining that they weren't selling them today due to the change over. It was the first I heard of it.

I had 3 stars from a couple of weeks which I never got around to posting. I took my opportunity and posted them off today. Fingers crossed, I'm hoping there are less names in the drum this week. Aarrrgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Camelot eh?

"We're knights of the round lotto
    We make you gamble more than you aughto.
    We'll steal your cash, in a bi-weekly flash
    'it won't be you' should be our motto."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Feckin Pensioners doing the lottery..

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

I was in the newsagents earlier and I overheard the lady ahead of me in the queue asking for a Winning Streak scratch card. The shop assistant was explaining that they weren't selling them today due to the change over. It was the first I heard of it.

I had 3 stars from a couple of weeks which I never got around to posting. I took my opportunity and posted them off today. Fingers crossed, I'm hoping there are less names in the drum this week. Aarrrgh.

Our lotto rep said they weren't going to issue any more winning streaks for this season so there's no more going to be sold at the moment. Same with hampers sweets and treats or whatever it's called now.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

braddun wrote: »
    they sold it last year

they threw the baby out with the water

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lottery_(Ireland)

That's an understatement, yet another genius move by our elected leaders...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Our lotto rep said they weren't going to issue any more winning streaks for this season so there's no more going to be sold at the moment. Same with hampers sweets and treats or whatever it's called now.

How will that work with the game show? How will they decide who gets on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

How will that work with the game show? How will they decide who gets on that?

It'll just be relatives of people who work in RTE.

If someone can't make it up to Winning Streak they just go to the RTE canteen and pick someone there to be on it. It's all a big fix.

Most of the people on it aren't real people at all but are actors hired by the Lotto. Most of the money they 'win' goes straight back to big fat bonuses for everyone involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

porsche959 wrote: »
    Yes the ultimate owners of both Camelot and the Irish Lottery are a Canadian pension fund, although An Post pension fund has a minority stake (in the Irish one).

So essentially all money goes to Beelzeboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

JC01 wrote: »
    That's an understatement, yet another genius move by our elected leaders...

What was wrong with the sale?

A lottery is hardly a vital state asset.
    The gov got €400m for doing nothing.

They also get VAT & the 'good causes' money is still there.

20 years from now, they get to sell it again.

I can't see a down side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

New green colour is dreary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

We were told to keep selling the remaining stock of both

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

I had a nightmare first hour of work today trying to figure out how the new machine works. I should have had training but our genius management only sent two staff members for training, neither of whom ever work on Sundays so for the first day of the new machine I just had to wing it. The customers were very understanding though, so I was grateful for that. By the end of the first hour I'd figured out how to do everything except print out the jackpot info. Still have no idea how to do that. It was a similar situation when leap cards came to Galway. We got no training for those either.

You press the i underneath whichever draw

Advertisement