Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are all the good xmas songs the old ones??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Saralee4 wrote: »
    I haven't seen anyone mention The Darkness, 'Christmas Time' from 2004.

I have to say I love this song and it has all the traits of a really good Christmas song, heartbreak, fun, great melody, bells etc.

And you can air guitar the sh1te out of it :D

Thats always a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

x factor and their rubbish music and singers has wrecked the christmas chart.
    leona lewis etc screaming (for want of a better word) as though someone had caught her from behind is not my idea of a christmas song.

chris rea is probably the best in that listening to his 'driving home for christmas' doesn't make me want to tear my ears off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

"Why are all the good xmas songs the old ones??"

OP maybe its cause our grannies always tell us that the old songs are the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭paulbok

Lets write our own Xmas song.

Saralee4 has us off to a good start;

""Why are all the good xmas songs the old ones?
    maybe its cause our grannies always tell us that the old songs are the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I never liked those overly happy Christmas songs but since the death of my father around Christmas I despise them.

The only Christmas songs I can stand are Happy X-Mas (War is Over) and I Believe in Father Christmas. I think this is because they're sombre and reflective rather than being about simply having a wonderful Christmas time or rocking around the Christmas tree or some other load of bollocks. The cheerier the song the more depressed it makes me feel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I love Flyleaf's Christmas Song.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Well how come in every shop I was in today I just heard all the old ones on repeat?

Well one reason is there are more old ones than new ones!

Another is the new ones are mostly shíte:D

Only good recentish Christmas song is the JCB song and that must be 10 years old. Simon cowell ruined christmas, fúcking grinch:mad:

I never liked those overly happy Christmas songs but since the death of my father around Christmas I despise them.

The only Christmas songs I can stand are Happy X-Mas (War is Over) and I Believe in Father Christmas. I think this is because they're sombre and reflective rather than being about simply having a wonderful Christmas time or rocking around the Christmas tree or some other load of bollocks. The cheerier the song the more depressed it makes me feel.

If you listen to Stop The Calverley, you thinks it's upbeat but the lyrics are deep and it's a very profound anti war song! It's another one of my favourites.

If you listen to Stop The Calverley, you thinks it's upbeat but the lyrics are deep and it's a very profound anti war song! It's another one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Some of the old songs aren't even Christmas. I usually wallop this one out at some point over the holidays. Are we right ladies and gentlemen? Very well then, thumbs in belt-loops, now... swaaaaay! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Saralee4 wrote: »

& strangely enough, it doesn't mention Christmas :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

& strangely enough, it doesn't mention Christmas :P

Only has "Wish I was at home for Christmas" in it a few times.:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Anyway, Sile Seoige is bucking the trend this year with a Christmassy Chariddee Song.

It's really, really awesome, like.

I won't post a link to it;)

Advertisement