Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any of ye ever get strange thoughts/ideas?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Gavin duck

Viriconia wrote: »
    Whenever I'm doing 120 on the motorway, I always get the urge to yank the handbrake to see what would happen.

Don't it won't work in ur favour

Eh yea I know that, the thread is about strange thoughts/ideas not things you are going to do :confused:
    Never said I was going to it just things I wonder about while driving.

8 hour Round drive every week makes for strange thoughts.

I no I think about what I'll see on the way seen a load of pigs on the road the other day tractor turned over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Gavin duck wrote: »
    I no I think about what I'll see on the way seen a load of pigs on the road the other day tractor turned over

9/10 times I preempt what I may find on the road ahead of me, I do a fair bit of horse box towing to become complacent on the roads

9/10 times I preempt what I may find on the road ahead of me, I do a fair bit of horse box towing to become complacent on the roads

Then u no to keep ur eyes on the prize and mor so the lad or girl in front of u a split second is all it takes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

I too get odd thoughts while driving. Tomorrow morning I have a 250 km / 3 hour journey to Clare to start my work week. I have made the same journey week in, week out for the last month without fail. It is mindnumbingly boring. I often think about the strangest things. Why does the universe even exist? Why did there have to be anything at all? There could have just been an absence of all reality. I sit behind the wheel and try to wrap my brain around the idea of nothing. It makes the journey fly by to be fair.

• Advertisement

Gavin duck wrote: »
    Then u no to keep ur eyes on the prize and mor so the lad or girl in front of u a split second is all it takes

Ah give up the lecture, it's an ah thread not bloody confession, I drive with a lot of due care, so what if the odd time strange thoughts enter my head, I won't ever act up one it because I have a bit of cop on. Every other poster has strange thoughts doesn't mean we're all about to run riot

Ever be in a public place and think about what If the world were to end and only you and the people on the bus/train/waiting room etc were the survivors.
    Who would fight, how would you all survive, who would take leadership, who would crack under the pressure, who would sacrifice themselves to get food/water etc.

Ohhhh public place thoughts, please say I'm not the only one!

Ah give up the lecture, it's an ah thread not bloody confession, I drive with a lot of due care, so what if the odd time strange thoughts enter my head, I won't ever act up one it because I have a bit of cop on. Every other poster has strange thoughts doesn't mean we're all about to run riot

Not a lecture or confession were all different that's what makes us who we r so who in the world doesn't think crazy things some times I often think r we alone in this world Otis their other life out their

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Ever be in a public place and think about what If the world were to end and only you and the people on the bus/train/waiting room etc were the survivors.
    Who would fight, how would you all survive, who would take leadership, who would crack under the pressure, who would sacrifice themselves to get food/water etc.

I wondered what it would feel like to cover my contact lenses in wasabi and then put them in my eyes, while sitting waiting for takeout food last week. Better than awkward eye contact and small talk I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Do you ever get the urge to maybe lick somebody's face when your in a meeting.
    Oh it's just me so. That's a bit worrying:(

Thank fcuk I know now it's not just me! :D

Took them long enough to train me to resist hugging everyone I come in contact with. I dare not tell them I want to go all doggy style licking people's faces, that's just embarrassing :o

• Advertisement

Like me favourite show the walking dead is step forward and do as much as I could for the good of humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

mickdw wrote: »
    Seriously, stop driving and see a doctor. I don't want to share the road with you

It's just a thought that comes into my mind, I'm zero % unstable or depressed , it's more the feeling that life hangs by the tiniest thread . I mean you think of all the dangerous things you consider doing in life but forget that you drive past maybe hundreds of vehicles everyday within a couple of feet both with a combined speed of 120mph . ....does t anyone every wonder how there aren't more crashes on the road .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Sometimes when we dream, it can seem like an epic movie lasting for an hour, when actually it is actually only 2 or 3 seconds of our clock time, and as it stands we only use 10% of our brain, this has led to some scientists conceding that people who believe in heaven will actually go there in their minds as the mind will emit electricity 5 minutes after the body has died, these 5 minutes may seem like a 1000 years of bliss to a believer who has drifted into dream mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sometimes when we dream, it can seem like an epic movie lasting for an hour, when actually it is actually only 2 or 3 seconds of our clock time, and as it stands we only use 10% of our brain, this has led to some scientists conceding that people who believe in heaven will actually go there in their minds as the mind will emit electricity 5 minutes after the body has died, these 5 minutes may seem like a 1000 years of bliss to a believer who has drifted into dream mode.

Ten percent of the brain myth

Are you sure you didn't just dream up the rest of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I sometimes drive my car on a main road doing say 60 mph and I think, if I pull over other side of road right now into oncoming truck we will find out if there's anything else .

I am sure this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

When I'm out walking I often think how very easy it would be to step under a car, not that I'd ever do it, obviously.

Sometimes I pretend that my Dad is spinning around on a bus somewhere, and that we just keep missing each other, rather than him being dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

At night i think if the world ended now, no one would be alive to care or mourn. If everyone died nothing would really matter anymore.

Makes me think its all a big fuss over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

sometimes when im sitting at the fire and its gone low you know when the coals arent flamey just really red I get the urge to just grab one in my hand really tight and see if my strenght would overcome the pain.
    I mean im never ever ever in a million years going to actually do it but I get a strange comfort thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I often wonder how parents walking down the street with their wee toddler on a leash thing would react if I just punted the wee crater as I walked past. Like a 45, got some serious air with them. I'd never do it, it always just pops into my head.
    In very serious or formal situations I often just stay quiet for fear that the urge to say or do something inappropriate may overwhelm me.
    I honestly dont know wether or not, if i ever got my hands on one, I would unleash a zombie virus on the planet. Id like to think common sense and compassion for my fellow man would over ride my zombie apocalypse fantasies, however misguided and naive they may be, but I really dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

RubyGlee wrote: »
    sometimes when im sitting at the fire and its gone low you know when the coals arent flamey just really red I get the urge to just grab one in my hand really tight and see if my strenght would overcome the pain.
    I mean im never ever ever in a million years going to actually do it but I get a strange comfort thinking about it
    know how you feel but burning coals don't help....talk helps x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Sounds like OCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

poisonated wrote: »
    Sounds like OCD.
    really don't think so somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

When's your next sci/Fi novel out?

I'm often in formal situations when I begin to contemplate the consequences of me just whipping me lad out and doing the helicopter. I then have to stop myself from giggling.

Recently, when I'm in particularly boring lectures in college, I imagine myself giving the lecturer the Wealdstone raider speech...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

When driving I wonder what would happen if I took the keys out of the ignition when going at a speed.

Always get that though when doing 100km on the n2 ... Should I be worried!
    Also think the same about the hand break and pressing the brake with my right foot (acellerator food) just to see what would happen.

Obviously don't act on this but it preoccupies a good bit of my thoughts when driving on long journeys.

I can tell you what will happen, I did it once when I driving down my parents long driveway after a day of driving. First of all your steering wheel will lock up, you won't be able to steer the car. Secondly with your steering wheel locked you'll hit the breaks to avoid crashing, you'll have no brakes, nothing will happen. So you'll be travelling at speed with no brakes in a direction you have no control over, you'll certainly crash. You might even flip over your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    All the time OP. To make matters worse, I have some damage to my frontal lobe, so I have very poor impulse control.

lol. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Anytime I'm on a travelator & there's someone on it with a full trolley, I have this overwhelming desire to press the emergency Stop button, just because it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 daukey34

intrusive thought's everybody gets them , some people laugh them off, some people take no notice of them, but somepeople hang on to them and drive themselves crazy over them , the first one is the best option

All the time I think about actions and reactions or what if u could reed people's taughts.crasey thought goes round in ur head when ur board

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    I can tell you what will happen, I did it once when I driving down my parents long driveway after a day of driving. First of all your steering wheel will lock up, you won't be able to steer the car. Secondly with your steering wheel locked you'll hit the breaks to avoid crashing, you'll have no brakes, nothing will happen. So you'll be travelling at speed with no brakes in a direction you have no control over, you'll certainly crash. You might even flip over your car.

Oh dear! Thank heavens I don't give into the urge, that's definitely not a good situation to be in at all!

Advertisement