Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nicest cup-a-soup ?

Options
  • 27-11-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,250 ✭✭✭✭

or hotcup, currently find the Erin beef and vegetable tasty enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

There is no such thing as a nice cup-a-soup.
    It's easier to find a pot of gold and the end of a rainbow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

An empty one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Agreed, there really is no such thing as a nice instant cuppa soup. Yuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

2smiggy wrote: »
    or hotcup, currently find the Erin beef and vegetable tasty enough.

I know that everyone's definition of "tasty" is different but unless they dramatically improved since I last had one - admittedly over 10 years ago - then they are still rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

They all taste like tomatoes that have been boil cooked in weak vegetable stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're all vile. I particularly dislike the inevitable crunchy bits of pea and carrot that seem to defy being rehydrated.

Making your own soup is probably one of the easiest things to do in the kitchen, so make up your own and reheat at work (assuming there's a microwave, of course) and save a bundle of money. I just buy whatever happens to be the Lidl /Aldi fresh veg offer of the week whenever it's on and make a big batch of soup out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Pot noodles are worse muck though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Salty goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oxtail. With a couple of slices of fresh Brennan's bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Agreed, there really is no such thing as a nice instant cuppa soup. Yuck!

Though didn't they bring out a puke flavour a couple of years back. I thought it was very passable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,250 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

perhaps should have phrased it as least rank cup-a-soup !!

they are handy on these cold mornings, especially if where you are working involves bringing a flask and sandwiches. I also find the leak and potato flavor not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There are some nice ones coming in from Japan in the form of Miso soup, available in Asian markets. I like the Osuimono, and the spinach one is nice too. Healthy as well, good source of B vitamins.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Oxtail. With a couple of slices of fresh Brennan's bread.

Oxtail is the champion amongst cup-o-soups. Dipping a slice of buttered soda bread in it is expert level.

An Italian girl I worked with could not understand the concept of cuppa soups.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Was always a fan of Knorr's Chicken, but they messed with the recipe, and now it's horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

SNERT!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

SNERT!
    I'm probably one of only a handful of people on boards (including yourself of course!) who knows what that is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Alun wrote: »
    They're all vile. I particularly dislike the inevitable crunchy bits of pea and carrot that seem to defy being rehydrated.

Making your own soup is probably one of the easiest things to do in the kitchen, so make up your own and reheat at work (assuming there's a microwave, of course) and save a bundle of money. I just buy whatever happens to be the Lidl /Aldi fresh veg offer of the week whenever it's on and make a big batch of soup out of that.

Would you ever gazpacho it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Batchelors Minestrone Cup A Soup with croutons & some soy sauce to taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Pregnant and craving these at the moment (haven't eaten them in years). Yellow box (can't remember the brand) tomato flavour and the oxtail are my fav at the mo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Alun wrote: »
    I'm probably one of only a handful of people on boards (including yourself of course!) who knows what that is :D
    Erwtensoep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Pregnant and craving these at the moment (haven't eaten them in years). Yellow box (can't remember the brand) tomato flavour and the oxtail are my fav at the mo

Knowr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Knowr?

No clue. All I know is that this thread brought the cravings back with a vengeance and a trip to the shop is in order rofl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Muck-a-soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Terrible vile stuff altogether and riddled with salt as well. Make a big pot of your own which is very easily and cheaply done and keep it in freezer in small containers and use as required. Much more tasty and definitely more healthy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Bachelors Cream of Asparagus is a proper craving food for me! Otherwise I hate them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Forget the cup-a-soup stuff and get yourself a microwaveable vegetable soup by Cully & Sully.
    Much much nicer!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Reoil wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a nice cup-a-soup.
    It's easier to find a pot of gold and the end of a rainbow.
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/24/article-2430666-18393EFC00000578-657_634x467.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Erin Oxtail is by far the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Snert is a disgusting name for a brilliant soup.

I bought this packet of miso cup a soups from a Chinese supermarket a year or so ago. The packet was for 12 cups of soup and had all these different strips of packets. So 12 miso paste, 12 very fine dried seaweed and tofu strips, 12 broth: 4 chicken, 4 beef, 4 veg. Best cup a soups ever, savoury and light and no clumpy powder.

But can I find the feckers again? No I cannot.

Advertisement