Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

footpath not suited for running

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,128 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I saw this the other evening for the first time, at 5.30, it was already dark and there were two runners on a road in the city. Plenty of footpath space, and footpaths are well maintained here (I run on that path myself). Arrived up to the lights, and they even broke the red light on a busy junction, putting out their hands to stop traffic! God forbid they'd slow down to follow the rules of the road! And not even wearing very visible clothing.

Dangerous idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭aero2k

AKW wrote: »
    OP the keys words, I believe, are "with due care & consideration for other road users". As long as your actions don't endanger yourself or others, rock on.

If only we could all follow that all the time. Now, I'm sure I do inconvenience others inadvertently from time to time..anyway here's a little story.

I run in the Phoenix park most days. Occasionally I travel the North Road in a Westerly direction. The footpath on the North side of the road has a very pronounced slope from right to left, and as I have a hip / lower back problem, I occasionally run in the gutter, facing the traffic, where it's nice and flat. Most oncoming traffic moves out, if they don't I hop up onto the path. Usually there are friendly waves all round. One day I encountered a cyclist who didn't like moving, and he made a big production of pointing down to his left and my right, while shouting "footpath!" Unfortunately I was too mentally slow to give the perfect riposte of pointing to the opposite side of the road and shouting "cycle lane!"

Advertisement