Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

footpath not suited for running

Options
  • 26-11-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

what is the rule or law for a runner if the path next to the road in unlevel and uncomfortable to run on. i run on the road next to it because i nearly twisted my ankle on it. the footpath is in a quite village and i run against the traffic.

there is a lot of slopes on the footpath going in to driveways and shops. am i breaking the law?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

what is the rule or law for a runner if the path next to the road in unlevel and uncomfortable to run on. i run on the road next to it because i nearly twisted my ankle on it. the footpath is in a quite village and i run against the traffic.

there is a lot of slopes on the footpath going in to driveways and shops. am i breaking the law?
    rather twist my ankle than get a smack of a van,,,paths are for people,roads are for vehickles

I presume a runner heading onto the road to avoid a bad stretch is as legit as a car mounting the footpath to avoid a pothole.

Not sure that any is illegal per se though there are driving offences that can apply to the latter (it may be considered dangerous/careless), but on the other hand the civil consequences might be worse - if it causes an accident I'd say the excuse "but I had to avoid the bad footpath/the pothole" would be fairly weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I think runners who run on the road are idiots. If the footpath you usually use isn't suitable then find a different route that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

In around towns the footpaths are very uneven and unsuitable for running. However it is illegal for a pedestrian to be on the road if there is a footpath available on either side. Once got pulled by a garda over this during the big freeze a few years back. Footpath was covered in a layer of Ice. He agreed with me that the footpath was unsuitable for running but said that been the case I should walk very slowly on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure that it is actually illegal for pedestrians to be on the road, unless it's a motorway. Inadvisable in most circumstances...yes, but I don't think there is anything saying that pedestrians cannot use the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,128 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Effects wrote: »
    I think runners who run on the road are idiots. If the footpath you usually use isn't suitable then find a different route that is.

I would agree. Idiots may be a bit harsh, but very careless. Is a run really worth the risk on a country/village road?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

walshb wrote: »
    Is a run really worth the risk on a country/village road?

Yes, and it's far more dangerous running around a city where you do have footpaths and street lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

and if there are no footpaths, what should the idiots do then? Long before there were cars on the road, there were people on foot.

Forget your water meters. Take back the roads!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Yes, and it's far more dangerous running around a city where you do have footpaths and street lighting.

Lucky then that I don't do either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Afaik, it is not an offence to run on the road, unless you it cross within 30 metres of a pedestrian crossing.

As far as possible, I run on the road, however:
    Face oncoming traffic
    Wear high visibility clothing
    Remain alert at all times
    Listen!!
    Don't use headphones
    Watch out for people who, apparently, own the road
    The rule is look out for your own safety at all times - don't expect everyone else to mind out for you - people, including runners! do stupid things. If a motorist/motorcyclist/cyclist does something stupid, you may be in deep "do do"!

Yes I agree, footpaths can be a nightmare - I call one road (Capwell Road, Cork) near me "Toblerone", due to the severe ups & downs on the footpath. Anyway, tarmac surfaces are significantly "softer" than concrete. Finally icy concrete tends to have significantly less grip than icy tarmac.

Oh...I nearly forgot....Tends to be less dog crap on the road!

......And choose quiet roads, as far as possible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭plodder

I would agree. Idiots may be a bit harsh, but very careless. Is a run really worth the risk on a country/village road?
    It totally depends on the road. Where I live they are mostly pretty safe. I wouldn't run in fog or bad conditions like that. But, to generalise about all roads is a bit ridiculous frankly, and implies people shouldn't even be out walking on them.

But, I think the law says if there is a footpath, you are supposed to use it, which does make sense.

plodder wrote: »
    It totally depends on the road. Where I live they are mostly pretty safe. I wouldn't run in fog or bad conditions like that. But, to generalise about all roads is a bit ridiculous frankly, and implies people shouldn't even be out walking on them.

But, I think the law says if there is a footpath, you are supposed to use it, which does make sense.

By all means run on a road. I just wouldn't take the chance, that's all. You can prepare all you like. It doesn't matter. When on the road, cars are on that road, so you are taking a bigger risk than running on a footpath that is off the road. And, yes, not all roads are the same. Some would be that bit more risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

and if there are no footpaths, what should the idiots do then? Long before there were cars on the road, there were people on foot.

Forget your water meters. Take back the roads!

But but but............. he pays road tax (Joe) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭plodder

By all means run on a road. I just wouldn't take the chance, that's all. You can prepare all you like. It doesn't matter. When on the road, cars are on that road, so you are taking a bigger risk than running on a footpath that is off the road. And, yes, not all roads are the same. Some would be that bit more risky.
    We're probably thinking about very different kinds of roads. I live in a rural area with no footpaths (outside the immediate village). The roads are very quiet, but I'd grant you that some rural roads I've seen I wouldn't put a foot on, they are so dangerous. It totally depends.

Last Winter though I saw a runner on the road in a builtup area, dressed in black, no lights or hi-viz, and what looked like a decent path beside him. That was taking the proverbial.

menoscemo wrote: »
    But but but............. he pays road tax (Joe) ;)
    It annoys me greatly to see runners on the side of the road when there is a perfectly good footpath available, but if there's no footpath, I'd have no hesitation in running on the road. None, whatsoever (as long as it's safe and legal (i.e. not a motorway). When I see some of the idiots cycling on the M11 every day, trying to cross an exit ramp or merging road, where all of the traffic is travelling at 120 km/hour, I do despair a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

I do where high visibility gear and those light up armbands. I run on the foot path generally but there's only limited footpaths around the area. It's just 250m along the village that isn't suitable to walk on never mind run.

If I don't use this route the alternative is dark unlit roads with more traffic problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

From Rules for Pedestrians: (Section 18 of the RSA Rules of the Road).

Walking beside or along a road
    • If there is a footpath you must use it.
    • If there is no footpath, you must walk as near as possible to the right-hand
      side of the road (facing oncoming traffic).
    • Do not walk more than two abreast. If the road is narrow or carries heavy
      traffic, you should walk in single file.
    • You should always wear reflective clothing at night when walking outside
      built-up areas.
    • You should always carry a torch when walking at night time.
    • You should always be aware of other road users.

I believe the Rules of the Road are based on the Road Traffic Act - so they are laws as well as rules!)

I'd imagine this covers runners as well as walkers.

plodder wrote: »
    We're probably thinking about very different kinds of roads. I live in a rural area with no footpaths (outside the immediate village). The roads are very quiet, but I'd grant you that some rural roads I've seen I wouldn't put a foot on, they are so dangerous. It totally depends.

Last Winter though I saw a runner on the road in a builtup area, dressed in black, no lights or hi-viz, and what looked like a decent path beside him. That was taking the proverbial.

I am thinking of any roads that cars use. Running on roads that cars use is IMO quite risky, more so than running off the road on a footpath. I personally wouldn't do it. No such thing as a safe road to run on if there are cars also traveling that road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

You know you live in Ireland when.....

You overtake a cyclist on a main road with a decent cycle lane. The cyclist on the path and the runner (me!) on the road.

This actually happened a few times recently. Somewhat harmonious if you think about it. Life without boundaries!

Murph_D wrote: »
    From Rules for Pedestrians: (Section 18 of the RSA Rules of the Road).

Walking beside or along a road
    • If there is a footpath you must use it.
    • If there is no footpath, you must walk as near as possible to the right-hand
      side of the road (facing oncoming traffic).
    • Do not walk more than two abreast. If the road is narrow or carries heavy
      traffic, you should walk in single file.
    • You should always wear reflective clothing at night when walking outside
      built-up areas.
    • You should always carry a torch when walking at night time.
    • You should always be aware of other road users.
    There's an awful lot of 'should' in that list (which renders it immediately non-binding). Still, it all makes sense.

There's an awful lot of 'should' in that list (which renders it immediately non-binding). Still, it all makes sense.

It's not binding anyway, in the sense that the Rules of the Road are not the same as the laws of the road, and in particular road traffic law.

I found a line that was hopefully from a long since overuled act talking about if you are in a group of 20 people or more then one of you should be carrying a light that is white at the front, red at the back and visible for a good distance. It seemed to be written from a time when the only other traffic you may encounter on any road would be a stray herd of cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I think runners who run on the road are idiots.

Never realised until now how much of an idiot I am. :rolleyes:

OP the keys words, I believe, are "with due care & consideration for other road users". As long as your actions don't endanger yourself or others, rock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

AKW wrote: »
    Never realised until now how much of an idiot I am. :rolleyes:

OP the keys words, I believe, are "with due care & consideration for other road users". As long as your actions don't endanger yourself or others, rock on.

This is what I thought but last night for the first time someone flashed there lights and swerved in 2wards me then indicated for me to get up on the foot path. That's y I'm asking the question now. Only Me and him on the road at the time.

He obviously saw me as he flashed me when he was 50m in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

ByeLaw 35 of the Road Traffic Act 1964
    Rules for pedestrians
    35.—(1) Save when crossing the roadway a pedestrian shall use a footway if one is provided, and if one is not provided, shall keep as near as possible to the right edge of the roadway.

(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) of this bye-law, every person in a group of twenty persons or more walking along a road shall do so as near as possible to its left edge.

(3) During lighting-up hours at least one person from a group of twenty persons or more walking along a road shall carry a lamp showing a white light visible for a reasonable distance in the direction in which the group is walking and a red light visible for a reasonable distance in the opposite direction.

(4) In this bye-law " pedestrian " includes a person pushing a pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Whether you run on the road or the footpath is a matter of how bad the footpath is and how much traffic is on the road. One should always running against the traffic if on the road.

However the thing that bugs the heck out of me is the people who run at night wearing black and not a hi vis vest, reflective armband or light. Now they're the 'idiots' that a previous poster might be on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

chinguetti wrote: »
    Whether you run on the road or the footpath is a matter of how bad the footpath is and how much traffic is on the road. One should always running against the traffic if on the road.

However the thing that bugs the heck out of me is the people who run at night wearing black and not a hi vis vest, reflective armband or light. Now they're the 'idiots' that a previous poster might be on about.

But also do not run against the traffic on a bad bend, cross over to the less bad of the bend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I saw this the other evening for the first time, at 5.30, it was already dark and there were two runners on a road in the city. Plenty of footpath space, and footpaths are well maintained here (I run on that path myself). Arrived up to the lights, and they even broke the red light on a busy junction, putting out their hands to stop traffic! God forbid they'd slow down to follow the rules of the road! And not even wearing very visible clothing.

Advertisement