Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen Unseen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

cliggg wrote: »
    The movie tonight was 'The Old Man And The Gun'. I found it to be an enjoyable, easygoing and amusing movie. It's probably the kind of movie I would not go to see based on a trailer so i'm glad I knew nothing about it at all beforehand.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. A very easy going film and I felt it was symbolic of Redford's own career and how he is at a bit of a crossroads. When I saw 'Widows' and 'The Favourite' in the trailers I knew it would be 'The Old Man and The Gun'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Screen Unseen back on Monday the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Margan

Enjoyed the The Old Man & The Gun but no idea what the clues mean. Wish they would release the answers.

Going to this tonight and the general consensus seems to be 'Sorry To Bother You'.

Clue 1: Married to the God

Clue 2: Things aren’t always what they seem

Clue 3: Kicked off with a brief dozen

Clue 4: 2,5,10

I'd be happy with 'Sorry To Bother You', 'The Favourite', or 'The Frontrunner'. My long-shot ideal film would be 'Vice', but it is probably too soon seeing as it isn't out in Ireland until January.

Just back from Screen Unseen and it was 'Sorry To Bother You'.

How do I summarise this...? It is not for everyone. Personally, I really, really enjoyed it and, in many ways, its not what you would expect. I feel it is a film you ought to see without any prior knowledge or a trailer. If you want to see something really different, I would highly recommend it.

A solid 8.5/10 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Dont go to see this movie, two hours of total rubbish.

At least it only cost a fiver and I upgraded to premier seats for free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I may have laughed out loud on the Luas when I heard someone observe: “I was with it until
    the horse thing

(I liked it a lot incidentally)

I found the movie boring and way too long. Too many ideas/subplots that are just forgotten about or ignored altogether and there was not one character in the movie that was likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Bizarre film. I really enjoyed about 2/3rds of it but then it went a bit too far and lost me for the last 30 minutes.

Screen Unseen is back on Monday the 10th of December. :)

• Advertisement

First clue for Screen Unseen on Monday the 10th of December:

'Like Julian March'

The Julian March is the name given to an area in south eastern Europe, shared by Italy, Croatia, Slovenia. Three-way split. This suggests it could be 'Glass'. Three leading roles, Jackson, Willis, McEvoy and, more likely, the reference to Split. Split is a city in Croatia (part of the Julian March) and Split was Shyamalan's 2016 hit and directly connects to 'Glass' coming out in January.

Falthyron wrote: »
    First clue for Screen Unseen on Monday the 10th of December:

'Like Julian March'

The Julian March is the name given to an area in south eastern Europe, shared by Italy, Croatia, Slovenia. Three-way split. This suggests it could be 'Glass'. Three leading roles, Jackson, Willis, McEvoy and, more likely, the reference to Split. Split is a city in Croatia (part of the Julian March) and Split was Shyamalan's 2016 hit and directly connects to 'Glass' coming out in January.
    I'd be happy if it was that, Split was shown for one of the Scream Unseen screenings too. However the policy has always been to not show sequels for the Screen Unseen screenings as there would people who haven't seen the preceding movie(s). They do like to allude to more than 1 movie with the clues so it's probably not Glass (but I hope I'm wrong).

Screen Unseen tonight. The four clues:

Clue 1: Like Julian March

Clue 2: Along the long lines home

Clue 3: Separating last of three, at first

Clue 4: Performance from the bridge

The likely candidate:

The Favourite
    Beautiful Boy
    Green Book
    Glass
    Vice (long-shot!)

I wouldn't mind any of them, but would love to see The Favourite or Glass.

It was Beautiful Boy. Absolutely brilliant. Timothy Chamalet is an excellent actor. Highly recommended film.

10/10

Odeon Screen Unseen is back this Monday. 3 clues so far.

1 Married, not versus

2 Shifting focus, 232 miles South

3 Knighted number 43

Most people trying to work out the clues are going with either
    Vice
    or
    On the Basis of Sex
    . That doesn't mean it will be either of them so don't hold me to that! :P

I have been reliably informed by a trustworthy source that tonight's movie is
    Vice, (I typed this to make the spoiler longer so I don't ruin it for anyone! :p)
    . I'll give it a miss as I'm not interested in it at all but I know a lot of people are looking forward to it so if you wanna see it for a fiver then tonight is the night.

Vice was the film alright. Excellent stuff.

Screen Unseen back again this Monday. 2 clues so far.

1 Speaking Dutch

2 Not dancing in the darkness

Someone on Reddit posted these answers so I'm spoilering them here for anyone who likes or doesn't like to know beforehand.

Clue 1: The Dutch Swing College Band released an album called Beale Street Blues in 1961 - If Beale Street could talk (speak)
    Clue 2: rather than dancing in the darkness, dance in the moonlight. Director of If Beale Street Could Talk, Barry Jenkins' last film was Moonlight.

My trustworthy source tells me Monday's Screen Unseen is
    If Beale Street Could Talk is the movie being screened. Added text to not give it away to whoever doesn't want to know.

Odeon Scream Unseen is finally back on February 18th. No clues out yet.

It's not officially announced yet but there will also be an Irish exclusive Scream Unseen on March 6th which will be an Irish horror movie so I can't see it being anything else but this
    The Hole in the Ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw the trailer for that - looks very creepy. :)

FYI there is an Alita: Battle Angel early screening for Unlimited card holders on Monday night (out for everyone else on Wednesday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

What was the screen unseen on the 28th of January.

If Beale Street Could Talk

This Monday's Scream Unseen is now an Irish exclusive. It will be a regular Screen Unseen in Britain. I think the reason for this is the Irish horror movie due out next month has been leaked online so they brought the release date forward for it. That movie is
    The Hole in the Ground

Did anyone go to The Hole in the Ground?

Mr E wrote: »
    Did anyone go to The Hole in the Ground?

I saw it. Wasn't great if I'm honest.
    Mother lives in rural Ireland, Wicklow specifically, and lives beside this giant sinkhole. She starts to think her child isn't the same child and things deterioate from there. What could have been interesting just became muddled as the existence of the sinkhole is never really explained. A few references, whether deliberate or otherwise, which put you in mind of far better films
    for instance Babadook and Invasion of the Body Snatchers, even The Shining,
    make you aware of the film's shortcomings.

I couldn't make it but I wasn't bothered about it as the reviews point out it's just another jump scare accompanied by loud violin screech horror movie, I've seen too many of them already.

The Screen Unseen in the UK was Wild Rose which seems to have gone down a treat judging by twitter & reddit reactions.

Screen Unseen is back on May 6th. No clues yet not that it would matter.

Clue 1: Rubbing shoulders with Bette

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Clue 1: Rubbing shoulders with Bette
    I'll spoiler this for anyone who likes the surprise element but it a few people have pointed out these things
    Beanie Feldstein (star of Booksmart) was in the 2017 Broadway revival of 'Hello Dolly' alongside Bette Midler. And both Cineworld Unlimited and SKY VIP are having screenings of Booksmart on May 6th & 7th and they often show the same movies as Odeon do at Screen Unseen when they are on the same day.

If it is that I'd be happy with it.

Advertisement