Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen Unseen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Mr E wrote: »
    The Irish one has to be Black '47, right? Saw the trailer in the cinema tonight - it looks excellent.
    Due for release on September 7th, so I think it could be a runner....
    Yeah it can't be anything else really, there are no other Irish movies coming out soon that I know of. It is getting great reviews. Here are clues for it so far
    1 She was almost it
    2 The relative's newest was old
    3 Poached by sly family member

Here are the first 3 clues for the screening on the 28th
    1 Previously mixed like The Beatles
    2 Could have been an estuary
    3 Why so serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tonight's movie was Black '47. Flawed but very good. Some amazing performances in it, especially Hugo Weaving and Stephen Rea.

Very authentic too - lots of Irish (some with subtitles and some without). Could be a tough sell for the foreign markets.

Recommended though.

The last clue for Tuesday's screening: Fast and ardent

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've seen people on twitter getting 'Bohemian Rhapsody' out of the clues. I would love that.

I don't understand most of their clues anyway, even when I know the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It was 'American Animals' which I knew absolutely nothing about. Loved it though, Barry Keoghan gets better and better.
    It was the kind of film I think I will find myself thinking about a few times over the next few weeks.

I knew nothing about the incident it is based on - off to google now.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

spurious wrote: »
    It was 'American Animals' which I knew absolutely nothing about. Loved it though, Barry Keoghan gets better and better.
    It was the kind of film I think I will find myself thinking about a few times over the next few weeks.

I knew nothing about the incident it is based on - off to google now.
    Hilarious

This is back again this Monday. Here are the clues for anyone interested.

1. "Phantom scribe"
    2. "Rapid Royalty"
    3. "Last seen secretly drunk"
    4. "Fresh off the third"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

People on Twitter seem to be leaning towards A Star Is Born or A Simple Favour. The latter seems to be the more highly tipped.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    People on Twitter seem to be leaning towards A Star Is Born or A Simple Favour. The latter seems to be the more highly tipped.

Awww. I hope its neither of those, tbh. A Simple Favour is out later this week anyway. Surely they wouldn't go with a film that close to release?

• Advertisement

Just saw on Twitter that it was A Simple Favour.

That's out on Friday, so no big coup. :o

Just saw on Twitter that it was A Simple Favour.

That's out on Friday, so no big coup. :o

Yeah, I was at Screen Unseen tonight. Wasn't exactly enamoured by the two main prospects: A Star is Born or A Simple Favour, but it turned out that A Simple Favour is actually good! Genuinely funny in parts, quirky, and it kept you guessing. Cinema was full tonight as well - not sure if that is the norm for Screen Unseen as it was my first.

Solid film, I would give it a 7/10.

Very entertaining. Was the largest crowd I've seen for a Screen Unseen in Coolock.

Had no idea of what to expect before going in as I hadn't seen a trailer, but really enjoyed it. Quirky and funny, and two good leads in Kendrick and Lively.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I thought it was very funny. The vibe I picked up was it was like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, sort of knowing comedy thriller. Couldn't believe the showing I was at some people arrived in over 30 minutes into the film.

I thought it was very funny. The vibe I picked up was it was like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, sort of knowing comedy thriller. Couldn't believe the showing I was at some people arrived in over 30 minutes into the film.

The lack of ads prob caught them out. Probably thinking they were being very smart in skipping ads, but catching trailers and start.

🤪

This is back again on October 2nd which is a Tuesday. It's not listed on the English website yet so it may be an Irish exclusive one which means it will be an Irish movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

cliggg wrote: »
    This is back again on October 2nd which is a Tuesday. It's not listed on the English website yet so it may be an Irish exclusive one which means it will be an Irish movie.

Abrahmson and Gleeson film?

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Abrahmson and Gleeson film?
    No that's out on Friday. It's probably this https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8247470/. It has been screened at a few festivals over the Summer and comes out about 2 weeks after the Screen Unseen.

cliggg wrote: »
    No that's out on Friday. It's probably this https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8247470/. It has been screened at a few festivals over the Summer and comes out about 2 weeks after the Screen Unseen.
    It was Rosie. I'm glad I didn't go to it now. It's getting very good reviews but personally I don't want to watch a movie about the homeless crisis in the cinema. I go to the cinema to escape the real world not have it shown to me a really big screen. Bullet dodged!

• Advertisement

Yeah I heard that. I think it would be a tough watch. Not the kind of movie I go to the cinema to see... I'll watch it when it goes terrestrial though (no doubt next year at some stage).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I saw it and it does bring the reality of the homeless to you.

Im not talking about the long term homeless you keep on having children without the means to support them. This film was about a family with one parent working long hours and the other spending the day ringing to find accommodation for six people. The house they were renting was sold by the landlord and they cant find anything in their budget to rent.

It made me very thankful to be going home to my nice warm house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

tretorn wrote: »
    I saw it and it does bring the reality of the homeless to you.

Im not talking about the long term homeless you keep on having children without the means to support them. This film was about a family with one parent working long hours and the other spending the day ringing to find accommodation for six people. The house they were renting was sold by the landlord and they cant find anything in their budget to rent.

It made me very thankful to be going home to my nice warm house.

Fully agree. Was very thankful heading home after it. Made me wonder if any work colleagues or friends are experiencing the same and trying their best to hide it.

I think it would have been good to see the process of them leaving their old house and how easy it can be to slide from a secure situation into one of utter chaos.

Thought the 3 little kids were excellent in their roles.

Odeon Screen Unseen back on 5th November

Booked two tickets for it and I have no idea what it could be. Best bet is 'Widows' seeing as it is out the following day...!

Clues so far:

1. "Not singing fats"
    2. "Almost in the 'hood"
    3. "A quad of gold knights"

Widows would be a poor choice based on when it's coming out, but it looks likely.

Clues so far:

1. "Not singing fats"
    2. "Almost in the 'hood"

Widows would be a poor choice based on when it's coming out, but it looks likely.

Does ODEON explain the clues after the film has been shown? It would be nice to work out their logic as these 'clues', to me anyway, are more like unsolvable riddles than anything else. :pac:

Falthyron wrote: »
    Does ODEON explain the clues after the film has been shown? It would be nice to work out their logic as these 'clues', to me anyway, are more like unsolvable riddles than anything else. :pac:
    They used to give the explanations on their Twitter after the movie but lately they have only been doing it when someone actually asks for them. They are very obscure, I never bother with them as they would require serious research and I really don't care that much. Here are the answers to the clues for the screening of American Animals as an example.

Clue 1 : Previously mixed like The Beatles.

One of the stars Barry Keoghan played the characters George & Martin in his previous 2 films; the same name as The Beatles' producer.

Clue 2: Could have been an estuary.

The director wanted to use a scene from OCEANS 11 in the film, but was refused, therefore the film could have acted like an estuary which is the point at which a river 'meets' the ocean.

Clue 3: Why so serious?

The director's other credits are all for documentaries.

Clue 4: Fast and ardent .

The main character (played by Evan Peters) also plays Quicksilver in the X-Men/Deadpool films.

Clues so far:

1. "Not singing fats"
    2. "Almost in the 'hood"

Lots of people on Twitter and Reddit seem to think it will be
    The Favourite

• Advertisement

The movie tonight was 'The Old Man And The Gun'. I found it to be an enjoyable, easygoing and amusing movie. It's probably the kind of movie I would not go to see based on a trailer so i'm glad I knew nothing about it at all beforehand.

Advertisement