Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Dublin Porter & West Indies Porter - anyone tried them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

loyatemu wrote: »
    had a pint of Dublin Porter in the Palace, it's blander than regular Guinness, so not sure what the point of it is.

Finally decided to try a pint of the Dublin Porter last night. My thoughts exactly, pointless. Almost a "watery" taste to it - won't be going near it again. I still think the West Indies one is pleasant enough though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had the Dublin Porter in Glasgow last night. Anyone else get a marshmallow taste off it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Had a bottle of the Dublin Porter last weekend and I didn't like it at all.

The excellent review inked above has it spot on: thin and watery tasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

All Guinness is trying to do is protect their market share from craft beers. Budweiser has admitted that they have had their weakest sales since the 1980s and have put it down to craft beers. The amount of young Americans never tried Busweiser was shocking to the company, as young Americans prefer spirits or craft beers.

I imagine Guinness is afraid that trend will spread to here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭adocholiday

hfallada wrote: »
    All Guinness is trying to do is protect their market share from craft beers. Budweiser has admitted that they have had their weakest sales since the 1980s and have put it down to craft beers. The amount of young Americans never tried Busweiser was shocking to the company, as young Americans prefer spirits or craft beers.

I imagine Guinness is afraid that trend will spread to here

I see that they've also forayed into the lager market again. I was in a pub on Parkgate Street for lunch on Friday and they had a new lager on draft called Hop House 13. I didn't have a pint so can't comment on it but I'd say you've hit the nail on the head with these 'limited edition' drinks. Also worth mentioning that I've typed this while drinking a West Indies Porter :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Must try them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Was it my imagination or did I see Tesco selling these for something like 3.50 a bottle the other day?

Anyone bought them there? It seems crazily pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

The West Indies one is not too bad. If I had to drink Diageo, that would be the one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The West Indies one is not too bad. If I had to drink Diageo, that would be the one.

Ah now, Guinness Foreign Extract is pretty great. Far better than The West Indies porter, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

dregin wrote: »
    Ah now, Guinness Foreign Extract is pretty great. Far better than The West Indies porter, in my opinion.

Yep its much better

• Advertisement

I saw a Smithwick's Blonde Ale for the first time in Tesco at the weekend. Seems like Diageo are trying to swamp the "craft" market with these products.

I didn't bother trying it, as was wasn't going shell out €3 on what's probably another disappointingly bland addition to their range. When you can get a Hobgoblin or O'Hara's Red for €2.

donaghs wrote: »
    I saw a Smithwick's Blonde Ale for the first time in Tesco at the weekend. Seems like Diageo are trying to swamp the "craft" market with these products.

Moslon and Hino are trying the same thing too

I tried the blonds a few weeks back, one pint was enough, The beer nut has a bit more on it http://thebeernut.blogspot.ie/2015/03/cherishing-children-equally.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

donaghs wrote: »

I didn't bother trying it, as was wasn't going shell out €3 on what's probably another disappointingly bland addition to their range. When you can get a Hobgoblin or O'Hara's Red for €2.

I have a feeling the marketing department is probably full of middle aged men, who may have been great at all beer 10 years ago. They have now noticed a dropped in sales and see sales will continue to decline due to craft beers.

Market research shows people will pay a premium for craft beers, due to higher quality. So Diageo is charging a premium for their 'premium beers'. But the beers are bland and are too mass produced to appeal to craft beer drinkers.

I studied marketing and one thing was that most effective ways of selling products is favourable reviews from your peers. It worth far more than an advertising campaign. Craft beers are a sign of this. People are buying craft beers, that are not advertised because they have heard that they are good. Diageo is spending millions on ads to keep their market share and are failing at it. Instead of telling people what they want or mildly altering their product offer with limit edition bottles. Diageo either needs to buy out a craft beer company or develop a craft beer from scratch. I doubt they will do either for now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

hfallada wrote: »
    Diageo either needs to buy out a craft beer company or develop a craft beer from scratch.
    There's a half-way option that C&C have been pursuing in Scotland with the Drygate project: a quasi-independent joint operation with a genuine craft brewery, in that case, Williams Brothers. I've not tried any of the beers yet but I've heard good things. I think the model has potential here too: the small brewery gets the resources without its main operation being tainted; the big brewery gets authentic craft cred on a minimal outlay.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

BeerNut wrote: »
    There's a half-way option that C&C have been pursuing in Scotland with the Drygate project: a quasi-independent joint operation with a genuine craft brewery, in that case, Williams Brothers. I've not tried any of the beers yet but I've heard good things. I think the model has potential here too: the small brewery gets the resources without its main operation being tainted; the big brewery gets authentic craft cred on a minimal outlay.

Franciscan Well!

Franciscan Well!

They are quite embedded with in the molson family

Franciscan Well!
    I'm sure Franciscan Well would like to think that's the arrangement they have, but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'm sure Franciscan Well would like to think that's the arrangement they have, but no.

Care to elaborate?

Surely C&C are doing something similar with five lamps are they not?

Surely C&C are doing something similar with five lamps are they not?
    Sort of, except there's no other half of the equation with Five Lamps, there's just C&C and the guys who own the Five Lamps brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

150410_ALICE_LAND.jpg

• Advertisement

What I mean is, when you talk to the guys at the 'Well they tend to spin it that they've taken all of Molson Coors's money and are using it to make fun and interesting experimental craft beer which wouldn't have been possible before. Which is pretty much true, but it hides that they've essentially lost control of the core brands: what they are, where they're made and where they're sold. They are entirely beholden to Mama Molson where that's concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I was entirely resistant to these two products at the €3.30 - €3.40 supermarket price point, as there are many superior beers I can buy for substantially less than that. But last Saturday Dunnes had DP and WIP marked down to €2.49 so I thought I might as well give WIP a go (paying more than macrobeer prices for a weak product ruled out DP.)

At that strength level I was hoping for something with a similar flavour to FES - which I do like, but rarely buy due to the excessive cost. But no such luck. It tastes a bit like a much watered down Leann Follain without the whiskey notes. Disappointing. A 6% beer should have way more body than this, especially if they want to sell at a premium price.

BeerNut was right, Diageo's best product is still GES 'off the shelf' but given that it's only discounted at Christmas, O'Hara's stout is a much better beer at a similar price.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Spotted this in Tesco yesterday. Only comes in a 6-pack so I wasn't arsed buying it.

8_Rev_DZEDQMVj_d_U9_Nh_Z56_WNF9ol_Si_Vy_XXc_Tbc_U4_YXVI.jpg

Surprisingly, they admit on the back of the bottle that this is the version of Guinness you would have been drinking in the pub up until the 70s until they changed the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is that just a new label for Guinness Extra Stout?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Would help if I had read the front of the label properly. :o

irish_goat wrote: »
    Would help if I had read the front of the label properly. :o

You were dazzled by all that Carlsberg :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The West Indies isn't that bad. Much nicer than the Dublin Porter at least. Not really worth the price though

anncoates wrote: »
    The West Indies isn't that bad. Much nicer than the Dublin Porter at least. Not really worth the price though

If you can get 3 for €7 in Tesco its not too bad a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

anncoates wrote: »

I got 5 for a tenner in my local Spar. Think it was a pricing error as they are usually €2.50 each. I quite like it. Nice for a change of speed!

Advertisement