Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No insurance + No license + Drunk + No Lights on

Options
  • 25-11-2014 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, first of all: Swear to god I didn't do it (I tend to do stupid things but not this much), it's about my friend, she acted very stupid now doesn't know what will happen to her.

Basically 3 of my friends were hanging out in Bray in a pub, then one of friends left (owner of car) and two left. Two girls - they were very drunk, they saw car was open so they didn't know what to do since owner left.

Instead of just sitting in car or leaving it they decided it would be brilliant to deliver car home.
    Around the corner thank god they were stopped by Garda (Thank god because I am pretty sure once they would reach speed they could've caused crash).

So what is she gonna face? (The driver)

Conditions:
    1) Very Drunk.
    2) No license or never held a license (pretty much doesn't know how to drive, but it's automatic car so she probably figured it out)
    3) No insurance obviously.
    4) No lights on.
    5) Lives in Ireland on Visa.

So is she gonna be jailed? Face heavy fine? Lifetime driving ban? Deportation?

I was asked to help and find out what's her worst case and best case scenario.

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Who knows for sure? Fined and banned probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

5 years holidays I hope. What a stupid, dangerous thing to do, drunk or not. Hopefully the Gardai/DPP will throw the book at her, and book her friend as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

5 years holidays I hope. What a stupid, dangerous thing to do, drunk or not. Hopefully the Gardai/DPP will throw the book at her, and book her friend as well.

Grab your pitchfork, I'll see you in Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

This has to be a wind up. If it's not your friend is never going to drive here ever and will be lucky to stay I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

kona wrote: »
    This has to be a wind up. If it's not your friend is never going to drive here ever and will be lucky to stay I'd imagine

What do you mean wind up? If you think it's me then honestly no. I don't really drive anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Pretty sure the poster means that this is so far fetched it couldn't be true? Is anyone really that silly?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Around the corner you say?

I'm sure for starters, that like manuals, automatics also have steering locks.

For that alone, this has to be a wind up.

Seriously this isn't a wind up, I am seriously asking, if you think it's wind up - imagine it's not.
    What's the worst case for her?

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Around the corner you say?

I'm sure for starters, that like manuals, automatics also have steering locks.

For that alone, this has to be a wind up.

You may think what I am about to say is confirmation it's a wind up, but as silly as it sounds - it's not.

The car is 1995 3 series, it has broken ignition, in order to start it up - you just need to put key into ignition turn it to switch on position and then use screwdriver under steering wheel to start it up.

I am not sure why steering lock doesn't work there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sorry but I don't believe a word of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭greasepalm

and how come the keys passed hands?good deed intent maybe but the actions and what might have happened later as your friends could be in caskets or their actions could have had fatal results,there are too many people driving cars that cant see their lights are not on or bulbs gone.
    now will the owner be accountable for her actions,possibly and drunk driving is a big no no,theft of car without owners consent?

deportation!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You dont drive much, thats a pity after all that cash you spent on that E46 and continued to spend always against all advice here. You then went out and bought a 1.4 vw that again would be strongly against the advice of any knowledgeable person on here yet only mentioned it when it was bought.
    Your posts seem to have a history of getting people 'talking'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

3 year ban minimum.

Deportation? I wouldn't say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

So the car's owner buggered off leaving said car unlocked and the key in it? And this other yungwan, unfazed by an absence of sobriety, a driver's licence, insurance or indeed familiarity with this jurisdiction, decided it would be a good idea to bring it home to her? I'd say they should all be sectioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,619 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

arleitiss wrote: »
    You may think what I am about to say is confirmation it's a wind up, but as silly as it sounds - it's not.

The car is 1995 3 series, it has broken ignition, in order to start it up - you just need to put key into ignition turn it to switch on position and then use screwdriver under steering wheel to start it up.

So they were carrying around a screwdriver, was it on the keyring?:pac: I can just imagine a big flathead screwdriver dangling with the other keys :pac:

Be lucky if they don't get done for that too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So they actually had the key? Will take my comment back re the steering lock then.

But the screwdriver under the steering wheel?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

youre goin to jail arleitiss - the big house

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I would expect the incident to make it impossible for your friend to meet any "good character" requirement for renewal of her visa which might, in the long run, be the biggest impact. Personally, if sh was that drunk and had no prior driving experience; a cold sharp shock is what's required. In right wing US States that would mean 30 days in prison, in more liberal States perhaps rehab of some sort. In Ireland, a ban from driving and a small fine.

Can't stop laughing at having to wedge a screwdriver into a steering column to start a car :pac:

Absolute sh1tboxes on the roads :pac:

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Strider wrote: »
    Can't stop laughing at having to wedge a screwdriver into a steering column to start a car :pac:

Absolute sh1tboxes on the roads :pac:

Can you imagine bringing it for an nct???

Actually that might be another charge on the charge sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

6) taking the car without consent of the owner i.e. car theft.
    Just gets better.

mickdw wrote: »
    You dont drive much, thats a pity after all that cash you spent on that E46 and continued to spend always against all advice here. You then went out and bought a 1.4 vw that again would be strongly against the advice of any knowledgeable person on here yet only mentioned it when it was bought.
    Your posts seem to have a history of getting people 'talking'.

I don't drive because I have nowhere to drive. Finishing college this year so I am focused on study so no time for just roaming.

Stheno wrote: »
    Can you imagine bringing it for an nct???

Actually that might be another charge on the charge sheet

'How are ya, I'm booked in for 10, by the way you're gonna need this'

screwdriver-l.jpg

I could vaguely call that a "car" then again I am nowhere near a car expert (as many know)

As far as I know my friend always has keys with him and screw driver in car. But I guess owner of car gave keys to that girl that night.

Also shes Ukrainian on Visa here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

You all laugh but I used to use one of these to start a John Deere back in the day

adjustablewrench.jpg

Anyway, the story sounds like rubbish.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Masterkey....

18s0azh4st7ejjpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Back in the day plenty of cars without a immobiliser and a worn out ignition (high miles) could be started with a flathead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Haha, my dad has an old Opel Kadett back in the day and he broke the key in the ignition one day so the lock mechanism was removed and you'd have a little screw you would turn to start the car with a screwdriver!

It was as easy as flicking on your headlights :D

• Advertisement

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Back in the day plenty of cars without a immobiliser and a worn out ignition (high miles) could be started with a flathead.

But this fine wagon requires the keys and a screwdriver..adds to the hi-larity.

Advertisement