Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AeroPress for ~ €24 from Bailies coffee

Options
  • 24-11-2014 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Bailies coffee have 20% off at the moment with the code "WINT2014"

http://www.bailiescoffee.com/

Aeropress works out at £18.50 including shipping. Cheapest I've seen it anywhere.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Bailies coffee have 20% off at the moment with the code "WINT2014"

http://www.bailiescoffee.com/

Aeropress works out at £18.50 including shipping. Cheapest I've seen it anywhere.

I use an aeropress. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭rosieirl

Thank you for posting the link. I learnt a lot. First, that I still want nice new shiny kitchen gadgets, but second, I'm maturing as an impulse shopper and it pays to research the said new shiny gadget.

I watched the Roaming Barista video on the website. I learnt tonight what an Aeropress is, and most importantly, that if they have a spectrum of customers, I'm on the exact other end of that spectrum to their desired customer.

What a convoluted way to make coffee! Weighing out 24 grams of coffee which you then grind, then put said ground coffee into aero press chamber to presoak in 50ml of boiling water for 40 secs before you add remaining 150ml of boiling water for another 90 second soak then add aero press plunger fitted with presoaked paper filter, which you press in a firm but constant pressure over a pre-warmed glass cup until you hear the air squeeze through. And e voila, after some 4 min fastidious work, you have your cup of coffee. I hope it's worth it! It's like Breaking Bad on your countertop!

Me? I'll enjoy my Tassimo Costa Americano coffee, made 3 mins before yours without any supervision while I was taking off my coat and opening the biscuits.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭JPA

20% off everything on the site rather than emphasizing the aeropress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

a
    rosieirl wrote: »
    Thank you for posting the link. I learnt a lot. First, that I still want nice new shiny kitchen gadgets, but second, I'm maturing as an impulse shopper and it pays to research the said new shiny gadget.

I watched the Roaming Barista video on the website. I learnt tonight what an Aeropress is, and most importantly, that if they have a spectrum of customers, I'm on the exact other end of that spectrum to their desired customer.

What a convoluted way to make coffee! Weighing out 24 grams of coffee which you then grind, then put said ground coffee into aero press chamber to presoak in 50ml of boiling water for 40 secs before you add remaining 150ml of boiling water for another 90 second soak then add aero press plunger fitted with presoaked paper filter, which you press in a firm but constant pressure over a pre-warmed glass cup until you hear the air squeeze through. And e voila, after some 4 min fastidious work, you have your cup of coffee. I hope it's worth it! It's like Breaking Bad on your countertop!

Me? I'll enjoy my Tassimo Costa Americano coffee, made 3 mins before yours without any supervision while I was taking off my coat and opening the biscuits.:)

There's no comparison between a fresh coffee made with an Aeropress and one from a Tassimo.

You dont have to be as particular regarding the brewing method. I normally use two scoops of coffee, pour in the water, give it a stir and then press. It takes 1 minute at most (quicker than a Tassimo) and makes coffee you will never get from one of those machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

You can't compare fresh coffee made in an aeropress with stale coffee pads/pods.

20% off is a decent bargain for both the coffee and the hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CurlyEng

Thanks OP.

Add 2 bags coffee no delivery charge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I have a stove-top pot, a cafetiere, and a Senseo, but am sorely tempted.

Does the Aeropress make espresso or more of an Americano type coffee? The description seems to suggest both but I don't know how you'd go about making one over the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Sappy404 wrote: »

Does the Aeropress make espresso or more of an Americano type coffee? The description seems to suggest both but I don't know how you'd go about making one over the other.

I have an Espresso machine, stove top, french press, nespresso and aeropress.

The aeropress with freshly ground beans is my go-to as it makes a consistently excellent, clean cup of Americano. You can make it stronger by using more ground coffee during the brew, but not of the Espresso variety. You won't get a crema on the top of your brewed coffee. I have read that people have done this, but I think they use the metal filters to allow more oil to pass through.

I still use the Nespresso on a daily basis but only when I want a smaller cup and tend to drink that black.

I advise the 2 minute Aeropress method - 16g (1 scoop) of coffee into the Aeropress (inverted method). Fill with water. Stir for 10 seconds, let steep for 2 minutes. Pour. This is the method advised by 3FE, arguably the best coffee shop in Dublin (which must mean Ireland, right ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yep, it's more of an Americano type coffee alright.

Since I got my Aeropress about two years I have used my Moka Pot exactly zero times. I even bring it on holidays with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I'd be rocking 16/17g, 24g is too much. I have made an aeropress pretty much every day for 5 years. I hand grind, so add that in above. The actual making of the coffee doesnt take 4 minutes, more like 2 minutes. As other posters have said, once you go aeropress (and more importantly source quality beans that have been roasted within 4 weeks from coffeeangel/3fe/hasbean/badger & dodo etc.) you dont go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I used to be along your line of thinking till I bought an Aeropress. Like others I don't use the technique you see in many Youtube vids. I just dump in two teaspoons coffee, boiling water and then let it soak for about 90 seconds before pressing. It is as quick and easy as good coffee gets IMO and you can get excellent results from the Aeropress with little effort. Its also a breeze to clean up plus it travels very easy if you want good coffee whilst away.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

I'd be rocking 16/17g, 24g is too much. I have made an aeropress pretty much every day for 5 years. I hand grind, so add that in above. The actual making of the coffee doesnt take 4 minutes, more like 2 minutes. As other posters have said, once you go aeropress (and more importantly source quality beans that have been roasted within 4 weeks from coffeeangel/3fe/hasbean/badger & dodo etc.) you dont go back.

I have used the aero press and Never have been overly impressed by it. Think it's because I have never sourced real quality beans. Only supermarket ones. Although when I bought coffee beans and grinded then and used aero press the taste was a bit chalky if that's the term. But as I said think I need to get some fresh beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I only got my Aeropress last week. It does make good Americano coffee and the coffee is way less bitter than my previous method of using a cafetiere.

I make the Aeropress 'concentrated coffee' using the inverted method, transfer to cafetiere and add water for an Americano type coffee.

The only downside for me is that I have to use alot more beans to get the same volume of coffee.

imo, it is more expensive to use in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

odckdo wrote: »
    The only downside for me is that I have to use alot more beans to get the same volume of coffee.

imo, it is more expensive to use in the long run.

the generally accepted ratio is 60g coffee for 1 litre of water.
    for aeropress, people use a little more than the above ratio.

the longer you leave the coffee in contact with the water in the aeropress the stronger your coffee becomes. So you can play around with it.

I personally wouldnt aeropress and then add water to that. I'd just get the ratios for my cafetiere right and go from there.

They are two different methods of making coffee and not sure I'd mix them tbh.

does it have to be ground coffee for use with the aeropress - will you get ok results with pre-ground? if you use pre-ground - do it have to be a certain type?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Pre ground will work, make sure the coffee says it's suitable for French press and not espresso ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Would it be worth it to go for the aero press starter pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

It's a good offer, the cup looks a bit small, and the extra 300 filters with coffee is nice as well. I still have about a third of the filters I got with my original aeropress, I bought a stainless steel filter and have used that a lot more than the paper filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

mad m wrote: »
    Would it be worth it to go for the aero press starter pack?
    Well, they would charge you £20 for the Aeropress and £10 for the cup/saucer/coffee starter pack, so you're certainly not losing out. Just not sure if the 300 filters are in addition to the filters that come in the Aeropress box or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I had a Tassimo for years. Great tool. But..

Tried an aeropress and gave the Tassimo to the in laws soon afterwards.
    One scoop of coffee with the provided tool has the dose perfect.
    My daily ritual has perfect coffee around the same time as the tassimo.
    Its really much better and cheaper to run than the machine as well.
    Takes a bit of getting used to for sure, but the rewards are worth it.

I got the milf frother in Aldi recently which lets you do cappuccino and Latte styles as well without having to heat up a steamer in the morning..

. I find a near espresso grind works better for me in the aeropress.

The french press coarse grind that many recommend does not do it for me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭bergipau

I got the milf frother in Aldi

Best typo I've seen in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I like my Milf frothed up lovely .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

No wonder Tesco are hemorrhaging customers to the Germans...

How come it's less acidic? I've made cold brew before and I know that colder water means less acid, but the Aeropress will use boiling water, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

How come it's less acidic? I've made cold brew before and I know that colder water means less acid, but the Aeropress will use boiling water, no?

Not boiling water, rather around 70 to 90 degrees Celsius depending on personal preference.

Try adjusting grind and brew time to tweak acidity. Over extraction (too long a brew time or uneven grind) can lead to bitterness.

Check brewmethods.com for user guides and suggestions on grind, temp,brew time,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Decided to get one of the aeropress Filters as it was discounted on the site and with the 20% off code offered above, So looking forward to trying it as i have heard great things about them from a people i used to work with. Also got extra filters and 2 bags of coffee to get free delivery. Tick tock tick tock, is it here yet?

Not boiling water, rather around 70 to 90 degrees Celsius depending on personal preference.

Try adjusting grind and brew time to tweak acidity. Over extraction (too long a brew time or uneven grind) can lead to bitterness.

Check brewmethods.com for user guides and suggestions on grind, temp,brew time,etc.

Would the aero not use the same temp of water as a cafetiere? I don't see where the lessened acidity comes from. Perhaps because it doesn't steep too long?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Would the aero not use the same temp of water as a cafetiere? I don't see where the lessened acidity comes from. Perhaps because it doesn't steep too long?
    Wouldn't be an expert, but I'd imagine the finer filtering and cleaner cup would make a big difference to the acidity levels. Personally, I tend to buy beans with lower acidity levels, which means I end up with a less acidic cup (but I could of course use the same beans in a cafetiere - it just seems wasteful!).

I bought an Aeropress earlier this year. Biggest mistake of my life. I now have two of them, two grinders, a press full of unused cafetieres and mocha pots, and I can't go on holidays or travel for work without bringing my beloved Aeropress and a grinder with me. Still, the coffee's been great!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CurlyEng

Mine arrived today after order Monday night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

CurlyEng wrote: »
    Mine arrived today after order Monday night

Did the standard Aeropress come with 300 filters Curly?

Advertisement