Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent going up, advise please.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

On what planet is a 128 max character SMS deemed a satisfactory notice of a change in a business agreement between two parties? Other than on planet amateur Irish landlord?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

drumswan wrote: »
    On what planet is a 128 max character SMS deemed a satisfactory notice of a change in a business agreement between two parties? Other than on planet amateur Irish landlord?

128 characters?
    An SMS is governed by engineering standards- and is standardised at 160 characters. Some fool third party apps- limit it to 128 chars- but the standard is 160......

Anyhow- the size of the message is irrelevant- the mode of transport of the message- the manner of displaying the message and the inherent legibility of the message- are far more important.

I could write a short message in toludine blue, wrap it on the leg of a sickly pidgeon and fling it at my landlord- and I'd be in keeping with the letter of the law.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

If the LL doesn't budge from the £800, I would be asking myself whether it was worth going to the PRTB, espacially given the lack of comparable properties in the area and the fact that the rent hasnt moved for 4 years.

It would without question damage your relationship with the LL. You have agreat relationship right now, and it seems that he has been very agreeable to permitting DIY work. If the relationship deteriorates, and he feels hard done by about not getting his £100, you can probably kiss goodbye to any non-essential DIY getting done. He'd likely refuse anything cosmetic, and stick to the letter of the law about what a LL is obliged to provide in terms of functioning fixtures and fittings.

Not saying that you shouldn't go of course.....but it should certainly be a consideration.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fair enough, I'm not really interested in arguing in whether its notice or not, I was more interested in the time limit for bringing it to the PTRB, what is outlined on the bottom of page 3 suits me. I was worried it was from the time I got the text but the date the new rent takes effect is late January so that's good.

I intend in getting all my information together, and asking the landlord to sit down and discuss it.

If we can't come to a agreement I will bring it to the PTRB.

At which point he'll just ask you to leave if you are within your 6 month period.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,451 ✭✭✭✭ted1

drumswan wrote: »

A planet were people have smart phones that can use more characters. But really they accept them whete a tenant has being avoiding the written notice by saying no letter was sent and them refusing to sign for delivery of a registered letter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Fair enough, I'm not really interested in arguing in whether its notice or not, I was more interested in the time limit for bringing it to the PTRB, what is outlined on the bottom of page 3 suits me. I was worried it was from the time I got the text but the date the new rent takes effect is late January so that's good.

I intend in getting all my information together, and asking the landlord to sit down and discuss it.

If we can't come to a agreement I will bring it to the PTRB.

And what happens if the PRTB decides the LL is right? Think carefully about this. Don't go on the advice of random internet strangers

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

If there are no comparables the PTRB will estimate the current open market rent by rebasing the initial rent by whatever % amount rents in the area/county increased/decreased over the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are absolutely correct, you have no idea.
    D3PO wrote: »
    God your an ignorant so and so aren't you. Would you rather we all ignore your posts and don't reply to them ?
    Knock it off, both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

There is no table for the village I live in but I have attached the PTRB table for the nearest large town (6kms away).

Seems like my current rent is a bit high according to that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Those figures for Fermoy are cack.
    I don't know who compiled them- but they are completely at odds with recent rents being offered/paid in the area- that table bears no semblence whatsoever to whats actually happening on the ground.

Go on DAFT etc- and see what you can rent a 3 bed for- the PRTB table is inaccurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Those figures for Fermoy are cack.
    I don't know who compiled them- but they are completely at odds with recent rents being offered/paid in the area- that table bears no semblence whatsoever to whats actually happening on the ground.

Go on DAFT etc- and see what you can rent a 3 bed for- the PRTB table is inaccurate.

Can we assume from that, that the PRTB wouldn't use their own figures when making an assessment.

OP is their anything exceptional about your house. If your figures are correct I dont understand why you would have been in agreement to pay over the odds for the last 4 years.

Advertisement