Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

daraghwal wrote: »
    Maybe they'll beat a bit of sense into the politicians then!!

half of them wouldn't know the difference between 3g and FTTH, it's all broadband in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Will they just flucking get on with it, now that eir have signed or are willing to sign s pledge to do the 300,000 homes there is nothing in the way to award the contract, the setting up of a new broadband task Forse seems to be the problem !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There is still one major decision to be made I think ........ who is to own (or share ownership of) the fibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

There is still one major decision to be made I think ........ who is to own (or share ownership of) the fibre?

Did I read somewhere they've narrowed it down to two ownership models though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

daraghwal wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere they've narrowed it down to two ownership models though?

I am not sure if that was actually decided ..... or indeed if eir's pledge for the 300k will have an impact on that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

Will imagines "fibre" wireless be a problem. If they are in an area and could show that they meet the minimum requirements would EU rules prevent that are from been included in the NBP?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

medoc wrote: »
    Will imagines "fibre" wireless be a problem. If they are in an area and could show that they meet the minimum requirements would EU rules prevent that are from been included in the NBP?

That minimum could be reduced to 20+ Mbps based on a recent comment from a Commission official in relation the EU's revised telecom regulatory framework, proposals are expected to be published in September.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99829565#post99829565

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

The Cush wrote: »
    That minimum could be reduced to 20+ Mbps based on a recent comment from a Commission official in relation the EU's revised telecom regulatory framework, proposals are expected to be published in September.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99829565#post99829565
    feaking Eu always messing thing up with there rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

rob808 wrote: »
    feaking Eu always messing thing up with there rules.

Well in fairness the EU is sort of the reason this is being done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Let's just hope the NBP isn't changed to reflect this lower requirement. TDs need to still be focused on this being a long term solution that puts a proper fibre network in place that can be more easily upgraded in the future. No doubt though some will call for less money to spent and for a cheaper but shorter term solution to be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

You would suspect that this 20Mb+ recommendation is irrelevant to our NBP. Four out of five bidders are proposing a FTTH solution with vastly greater speeds. A lot of money must have been spent already with all the various consultations. The Department are unlikely to now rewrite minimum specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

Let's just hope the NBP isn't changed to reflect this lower requirement. TDs need to still be focused on this being a long term solution that puts a proper fibre network in place that can be more easily upgraded in the future. No doubt though some will call for less money to spent and for a cheaper but shorter term solution to be used.
    I agree, let's hope something was learned from the National Broadband Scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Can't be long now until there is some roll back on the 2022 deadline extension.....

p4gErhA.jpg

While I think it's excellent this issue is now getting the attention it deserves (if only other issues got that treatment too now) I don't think the government should feel pressured to provide immediate relief. Some Dubliners will continue to try and make it seem like broadband isn't an issue we should tackle now but the government has very little to do really so they can just continue to moan with duct tape on their mouth.

What rural people I think want now, is a solid plan that's set in stone. Give us a guarantee that the NBP will only use a fibre solution. Give us a guarantee that this deal will be signed off on by next year. Tell us now before the end of month (like they said they would) who are the preferred bidders.

Give us a solid set in stone timeline and I think the majority will be happy enough just to know that the solution they need is finally coming. I think right now a lot have doubts that this plan will meet the requirements and this is partly down to the fact they delayed the finish date by two years. The delay is the only thing that really put this issue into the spotlight too, if there was no delay I'd say a lot of papers wouldn't bother writing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This.

Some plan is needed to fund bringing fibre near places, even if the last leg is not fibre in the short term. So there should be strict requirements for backhaul capacity even if there are temporary cabinets or wireless distribution.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This.

Some plan is needed to fund bringing fibre near places, even if the last leg is not fibre in the short term. So there should be strict requirements for backhaul capacity even if there are temporary cabinets or wireless distribution.

That just isn't going to happen. There is nothing temporary about telecoms gear. Putting up a wireless tower is frighteningly expensive, the cost of it normally needs to be paid off over 20 years or so.

If they put up a "temporary" solution like Imagine's LTE, then it won't remain temporary for long, very quickly it will become seen as "good enough" by the politicians and you'll end up stuck on it for the next 20 years.

bk wrote: »
    That just isn't going to happen. There is nothing temporary about telecoms gear. Putting up a wireless tower is frighteningly expensive, the cost of it normally needs to be paid off over 20 years or so.

If they put up a "temporary" solution like Imagine's LTE, then it won't remain temporary for long, very quickly it will become seen as "good enough" by the politicians and you'll end up stuck on it for the next 20 years.

Definitely agree with this. I know I would prefer to go from copper to FTTH even if it meant waiting all the way to 2022 (although I doubt if the tender is done by 2017 that it will take that long). Using immediate solutions only gives politicians the excuse to cut back on the plan to fund something else that's completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Do it right, means doing it once...and once only...

Wireless tech should only be a part of the mobile tech...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Everyone having FTTH or decent fixed line access frees up the mobile services to provide HQ mobile internet, rather than having people congest it using it for fixed access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

bk wrote: »

Nonsense, that's a bit like saying there is no point in building the Naas bypass unless the whole N7 is made a motorway. A solution exists, if fibre comes near then smaller masts would suffice. Or it might be nothing more than older ADSL equipment taken from exchanges and mounted on a trailer parked in someone's garden, serving customers beyond that point until the full fibre rollout is completed.

A complete plan is need so that these interim stages are seen as exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nonsense, that's a bit like saying there is no point in building the Naas bypass unless the whole N7 is made a motorway. A solution exists, if fibre comes near then smaller masts would suffice. Or it might be nothing more than older ADSL equipment taken from exchanges and mounted on a trailer parked in someone's garden, serving customers beyond that point until the full fibre rollout is completed.

A complete plan is need so that these interim stages are seen as exactly that.

Temporary fixes aren't a thing in access networks, your post unfortunately is the nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

As a matter of interest, how many simultaneous 30/8 connections can a single LTE tower support? That has to be the criterion, simultaneous busy-hour connections at full speed. Someone mentioned a limit of 400 subscribers per tower, but I find it hard to believe even that number could be sustained.

plodder wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, how many simultaneous 30/8 connections can a single LTE tower support? That has to be the criterion, simultaneous busy-hour connections at full speed. Someone mentioned a limit of 400 subscribers per tower, but I find it hard to believe even that number could be sustained.

A retired telecoms manager/engineer told me recently microwave/radio speed is 1Gb,
    You may find your answer here...

http://www.broadbandexpert.com/wireless-internet/networking-advice/what-is-a-backhaul/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

pegasus1 wrote: »
    A retired telecoms manager/engineer told me recently microwave/radio speed is 1Gb,
    You may find your answer here...

http://www.broadbandexpert.com/wireless-internet/networking-advice/what-is-a-backhaul/
    1 Gbit shared is only 33 times 30Mbit download. But, maybe they can offer it in multiple directions from the one tower. I still don't see it adding up to 400 subscribers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I assume he meant shortlist. Again, there's the mention of future proofing for 25 years. He also said the same in an interview on newstalk, so there's no doubt that the Department/Government get the point about short term fixes (wireless) versus the once and for all time advantages of fibre.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/broadband-now/every-home-in-the-country-will-get-highspeed-service-naughten-34763198.html

The unknown at this point is the EU response to any complaint. There have been a suspiciously large number of reports recently on Ireland's broadband deficiencies....the Engineers just yesterday (attended by the minister), Vodafone's Amárach report last week. Seems like they are trying to build a case.

So It looks like the rollout is back on course for 2020 or sooner..

There is nothing wrong with wireless competing with what they have, without getting the any of the two NBP contracts...

Think about it...If they want to compete for the NBP, they would have to ensure everyone ie.100% can get the speed even if a customer is in a hole in the ground...

pegasus1 wrote: »
    So It looks like the rollout is back on course for 2020 or sooner..

Depends on who wins the bid, the article above is mistaken in thinking the winning bidder will be announced this year, that won't happen. The plan is still to sign off on it by mid 2017. After that Eir have come out and said they could do it by 2020 but we'll have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

Depends on who wins the bid, the article above is mistaken in thinking the winning bidder will be announced this year, that won't happen. The plan is still to sign off on it by mid 2017. After that Eir have come out and said they could do it by 2020 but we'll have to wait and see.

Remember the old saying: a week is a long time in politics.

By the time mid-2017 comes around, there will more than likely be other priorities or hot news items so this will have fallen down in terms of urgency and the current media blitz will have concluded.

It's also highly likely that we could have a new Government by then so I would urge everyone who cares to put pressure on ALL of their current elected representatives (whether they are in Government or in opposition) to progress this plan as far as they can, as soon as they can. No harm to remind them that they will be looking for a vote from you soon enough.... ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement