Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"luck money" when buying/selling a car?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yep, usually give them a few quid back for petrol.

Obviously it depends, I sold a car for 500 euro and I didn't give anything to the new owner. He got a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I bought a car privately a few weeks back, I made an offer expecting her to come back with a counter offer a few hundred more and then we meet in the middle, but she just asked for 50 more! There was nearly a full tank of petrol in it so I gave her an extra 60 for the petrol.

Have bought from dealers before and had a bit of petrol thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I always give luck , it's just a way of making the transaction friendly

Say I'm selling a car and he's offering me 9k and I'm looking 10 k , he'll make a further bid of say €9400 , I'll reply by saying, give me €9700 and I'll throw you €100 for luck

Buyer feels like he's had a fair win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

It was always a done thing maybe not so much now!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah it's always been customary when I've been buying or selling a car. Didn't know about it myself until the first time I was selling one and my father had to give me change to give to the buyer for the good luck penny. Since then though I always factor it in, and have either a 20 or a 50 ready, depending on the price of the car and how much I like the buyer. That said I'm not bothered if I'm buying a car and I'm not given one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

20/50 quid for petrol to get you home..token gesture but it's just about being friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Yep. It's normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Kingslayer

This is the first I've heard of it but I like finding out about these old traditions. I wonder is the penny only lucky for the buyer or is it the seller too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Not an old tradition, just a good thing to do if someone is buying something from you with a significant amount of cash.

Advertisement