Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"luck money" when buying/selling a car?

Options
  • 23-11-2014 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭

So my partner just said the oddest thing to me. This is something I've never experienced.

He said that when buying a car, (after all the haggling etc), you give the buyer back a little "luck" money.
    And that he received this with any car he's ever bought, and took part in the tradition with ever car he's sold.

I've never heard nor witnessed this before.

So AH'ers.... have you heard of "luck" money with car sales? have you been on the receiving/giving end? Do you or would practice this tradition?

Personally I would not participate in this, I like a good haggle, whatever is agreed on, is all I'd expect. Getting money back, would only tell me, I should've haggled lower. If I was expected to give money back, would only mean I should've asked for more. And that just seems like a pointless exercise to me.

Have you heard of "luck money" when selling/buying a car? 187 votes

yes
    27% 52 votes
    no
    72% 135 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

So my partner just said the oddest thing to me. This is something I've never experienced.

He said that when buying a car, (after all the haggling etc), you give the buyer back a little "luck" money.
    And that he received this with any car he's ever bought, and took part in the tradition with ever car he's sold.

I've never heard nor witnessed this before.

So AH'ers.... have you heard of "luck" money with car sales? have you been on the receiving/giving end? Do you or would practice this tradition?

Personally I would not participate in this, I like a good haggle, whatever is agreed on, is all I'd expect. Getting money back, would only tell me, I should've haggled lower. If I was expected to give money back, would only mean I should've asked for more. And that just seems like a pointless exercise to me.

I'll bet he's a good old country bhoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's a country/traveller thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I've done it the only time I sold a car privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

It's usually just a token amount so you still leave a deal with some money. I bought a car a few year ago and he handed me back €50 with the keys. It worked out at less than 1% of the cars value but it was great to get it. Another time I bought a dog for €100 and was handed back a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

heard of this for a wallet or purse if they are gifts....never bought or sold a car though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I bought my first car recently (from a dealer) and he gave me €20 back as a "luck penny".

I'd never heard of it before so I was pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

Yes all the time. And it wouldn't just be for a car. You'd give a luck penny if you were selling cattle , machinery, turf etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

We call it a luck penny around here.
    Few years ago my 21 year old sister was selling her old runabout for €600 on done deal. She wouldn't exactly be an Arthur Daly type, and had never heard the term luck penny before.

Anyway, some chap landed and they agreed on €550 for the car, then he mentioned a luck penny.

Oh, right she says, and stuffs the cash in her purse and roots around and hands him back a 1 cent coin.

She genuinely couldn't understand why we all pissed ourselves laughing when she came in and told us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

heard of this for a wallet or purse if they are gifts....never bought or sold a car though

All I ever heard about that was that you never gift an empty wallet or purse.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

I remember buying my first car and the seller gave me back 20 for petrol and I thought it was a really nice gesture, 20 quid isn't going to break the bank for him but actually meant a lot to me at the time! Car was super lucky aswel I have to admit :P it's like hanselling a new purse, it's the token rather than the actual monetary value and I have to say I'd always pay it forward in luck money from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

actually yes, I have heard of it for wallets! As an empty wallet is bad luck.

__
    and to the poster that said country bhoy... XD.. yeah he was raised a country lad alright XD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Kevwoody wrote: »
    We call it a luck penny around here.
    Few years ago my 21 year old sister was selling her old runabout for €600 on done deal. She wouldn't exactly be an Arthur Daly type, and had never heard the term luck penny before.

Anyway, some chap landed and they agreed on €550 for the car, then he mentioned a luck penny.

Oh, right she says, and stuffs the cash in her purse and roots around and hands him back a 1 cent coin.

She genuinely couldn't understand why we all pissed ourselves laughing when she came in and told us!

sounds like something I would do lol :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I would give luck money unless the buyer wore me down on the price which seems to be the norm now. Especially donedeal heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I bought a motorbike a 8 or 9 years ago and the guy gave me back €50 luck money. I'd never heard of it, stuck it in the manual, and gave the new owner a pleasant surprise when I sold it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Idleater wrote: »
    I bought a motorbike a 8 or 9 years ago and the guy gave me back €50 luck money. I'd never heard of it, stuck it in the manual, and gave the new owner a pleasant surprise when I sold it on.

Mmmm not sure you're doing it right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

"luck money" when buying/selling a car?

Buy a car? No. Buying a house? yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The garage I deal with always gives €50 as a luck penny when I pick up the new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Bought a car 2 weeks ago, the owner gave back €20 " luck money "
    Had already knocked 200 off the asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I don't drive so never bought/sold a car.However,as a kid i was mad about horses,although i never owned a horse of my own I would go into Smithfield every month and balinasloe the odd year and EVERY transaction at both fairs had 'luck money' changing hands

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I bought a car from a Dublin guy a few weeks back, I managed to get 300 off the asking price and when I had counted out the money he handed me back 50€ for petrol.

Can't argue with that for decency.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Giving a Luck Penny is a very old Irish tradition originally associated with the buying and selling of farm animals. After buyer and seller agree terms, the deal is sealed by each spitting into the palm of their hands, followed by a firm (and wet!) handshake.

Luck plays a vital part in Irish folklore, so traditionally the seller then immediately gives back the buyer a "gift" of a sum of money for "Good Luck". This is an important ritual because failure to give back a Luck Penny could bring ill fortune to them both, and the Irish, being a highly superstitious people, avoid tempting Fate! Typically, both buyer and seller then retire to the local pub where the "Luck Penny" is used to buy the first round of celebratory drinks for them both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I would always have the petrol tank full when selling on.

I've heard of the luck money thing; if buying a car, I wouldn't expect it, but wouldn't be surprised if it was given. I'd definitely expect a decent amount of petrol in the tank though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Same here - my mother would always say you 'hansel' a wallet or purse as a gift. http://www.homespun.ie/Hansel_Money.html

Have only sold a car a few times - never privately. Would always insist on a full tank of fuel for the new one at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

We always called it petrol money, same difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    We always called it petrol money, same difference

Not quite. My garage fills the tank and gives the luck penny in cash. It is an old tradition going back to livestock or land purchases. The notion is that the cash is for luck not for petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

It's common when buying and selling horses and livestock too.

You'd never exchange luck money at an auction or where there is a professional intervener, but it's a normal element of private sales. It's usually no more than 5%. It's just a superstitious token.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I ask for a luck's penny on everything over €20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Not quite. My garage fills the tank and gives the luck penny in cash. It is an old tradition going back to livestock or land purchases. The notion is that the cash is for luck not for petrol.

As usual, us Dubs get it wrong!!!

It was always for a private sale of a motor car! not from a garage as Its expected!!!

As in. The original post, being from. Dublin its something I was brought up with but only buying a car

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

Buy a car? No. Buying a house? yes.

Definitely a country thing, have bought and sold dogs, furniture, cars always with a luck penny. Not for houses though, when we sold our first house a few years ago we left a bottle of champagne in the fridge and two champagne flutes on the island as a nice surprise. Also left lots of furniture as it was a young couple buying their first house and they had said they would love any furniture that we didnt need.

Still friends with them years later, though we moved a few counties away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I am a bogger and I never heard of it. I have only ever bought cars from dealers though. The last car I bought they did fill it with diesel before I drove away which was nice. Is it perhaps a tradition more so in certain parts of the country?

Advertisement