Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Fm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

You can here this insipid xmas crap in every shop and on every street who needs more of it?

Very charitable......its not like its on all the time annoying us like, oh i dont know..colm and lucy.??..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You can here this insipid xmas crap in every shop and on every street who needs more of it?

I can where that insipid crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Very charitable......its not like its on all the time annoying us like, oh i dont know..colm and lucy.??..:P

You just cant let that bone go can you? Even dragging it into this thread!!!! :mad::rolleyes::eek:

You just cant let that bone go can you? Even dragging it into this thread!!!! :mad::rolleyes::eek:

I was wondering what was the point of the post? confused.png....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I think Christmas FM has quite a wide library of songs. There are plenty you would hear on it that would not get played elsewhere (radio or tv music channels). And of course it is also about raising money for charity so that makes it a bit different.

It is always going to be difficult to please everybody because people have different music tastes. I can only listen to so much at a time. Some I do like and quite a lot I don't.

Personally, there are certain songs that they have never added to their playlist (AFAIK) that I would love to hear.

Examples:
    Christmas Catalogue by Captain Sensible,
    A Merry Jingle by The Greedies,
    I Saw Mammy Kissing Santa Claus by The Thrills,
    Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight) by The Ramones,
    Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses,
    Christmas Rappin by Kurtis Blow,
    It's Gonna Be a Cold Cold Christmas by Dana,
    December will be Magic Again by Kate Bush
    and rather surprisingly -
    Oh Santa by Mariah Cariah (it's the only one I really like by her and they don't play it!).

Also: some of the Christmas songs that the Killers put out.

With the possible exceptions of Dana and Kate Bush, they still don't seem to have any of those songs two tears later! Another one I don't hear but would like to is Band Aid 2's version of Do They Know It's Christmas. Maybe they need a slightly alternative or quirky show to cover the less played ones. I think there is room for a bit more variety. Heaven knows they do have a big library as it is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

With the possible exceptions of Dana and Kate Bush, they still don't seem to have any of those songs two tears later! Another one I don't hear but would like to is Band Aid 2's version of Do They Know It's Christmas. Maybe they need a slightly alternative or quirky show to cover the less played ones. I think there is room for a bit more variety. Heaven knows they do have a big library as it is!

Yeah, let’s replace 1984 Do They Know It’s Christmas with the more recent version. While we’re at it, swap the Pogues version of Fairytale for the Ronan Keating one.

davef1000 wrote: »
    Yeah, let’s replace 1984 Do They Know It’s Christmas with the more recent version. While we’re at it, swap the Pogues version of Fairytale for the Ronan Keating one.

Now Now! I never said anything about replacing - just add! In relation to Do They Know It's Christmas, Band Aid 2's version was in 1989. There have been two more recent version's since then!

I was wondering what was the point of the post? confused.png....:p

The point of that post was your constant barrage of anti-nova posts on the nova thread which you brought into this thread.

The point of that post was your constant barrage of anti-nova posts on the nova thread which you brought into this thread.

Yawn....you're the one dragging it on.....btw I'm not anti nova...;)

Declan I agree with you on the tracks you mention, there are even more I'd like to hear...I think it's more a popular choice that won't offend tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Was reading last night that Robbie Irwin (Christmas FM 2018) retired from RTE in Oct. 2017. I didn't know this.

He still had his RTE Gold show "You can't beat the intro" up until a few weeks ago..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/presenters-build-up-new-ageism-cases-against-rte-c7vn7nhhg

• Advertisement

I think Christmas FM has quite a wide library of songs. There are plenty you would hear on it that would not get played elsewhere (radio or tv music channels). And of course it is also about raising money for charity so that makes it a bit different.

It is always going to be difficult to please everybody because people have different music tastes. I can only listen to so much at a time. Some I do like and quite a lot I don't.

Personally, there are certain songs that they have never added to their playlist (AFAIK) that I would love to hear.

Examples:
    Christmas Catalogue by Captain Sensible,
    A Merry Jingle by The Greedies,
    I Saw Mammy Kissing Santa Claus by The Thrills,
    Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight) by The Ramones,
    Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses,
    Christmas Rappin by Kurtis Blow,
    It's Gonna Be a Cold Cold Christmas by Dana,
    and rather surprisingly -
    Oh Santa by Mariah Cariah (it's the only one I really like by her and they don't play it!).

Also: some of the Christmas songs that the Killers put out.

Would you believe it, I heard Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses on Christmas FM today! I also heard a brilliant song a few days ago on Christmas FM that was new to me: Rock and Roll Christmas by George Thorogood and the Destroyers. I was also pleasantly surprised to hear Greg Gaughren play The Ramones' Christmas tune the other night on Nova!

Would you believe it, I heard Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses on Christmas FM today! I also heard a brilliant song a few days ago on Christmas FM that was new to me: Rock and Roll Christmas by George Thorogood and the Destroyers. I was also pleasantly surprised to hear Greg Gaughren play The Ramones' Christmas tune the other night on Nova!

ACDC.."mistress for christmas"......have to ask PJ for that...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

^this

Mind you, I fcking hate Xmas but this is sublime.
    Xmas Fm won't be getting a twist on my dial if they deny the public this class tune.
    It's obviously a shít station

Sir Oxman wrote: »

^this

Mind you, I fcking hate Xmas but this is sublime.
    Xmas Fm won't be getting a twist on my dial if they deny the public this class tune.
    It's obviously a shstation

No great loss there then!

They are such a **** station that have only raised €1.5m for charity over the last 10 years!!!!

Play the hits, end of story!

You don’t like it, that’s fine. Spotify is your friend there!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Must have heard that song "we need a little christmas, right this very minute" 20 times over the past few days. Seemsbto be always on and its awful.

There are literally loads of great ones i have yet to hear.

Just dont get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Have yet to hear Coldplay’s Christmas song on any station.

It’s a brilliant Christmas song.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Beat 102-103 in the South East are playing it (and have done every year since it came out). Very underrated song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Have to say I don’t like their content that much for the most part, but they raise hundreds of thousands for charity each year and therefore they’re a welcome visitor and a worthy cause in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Quite enjoying it this year. I'm not subjected to it through work or anything, so maybe when I'm listening to it at my own free will - then it's a lot easier to listen to.

Have to agree though about some songs which are never played. The band aid songs after the original have never been played. Would be nice to hear Dizzie Rascal one once in a while. No Proper Crimbo either, or Dustins Christmas Tree ( OK I do have a weird Xmas request list)

The Sharon Shannon and Wallis Bird song is quite catchy amongst others that are only on Xmas FM, so it good to catch a few gems.

No sign of Mel and Kim Wilde's song either. I know the video contains a pic of Rolf Harris, but I don't think it's mentioned in the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Over the years I always had it on during the day and noticed the play lists were almost the same for every show, so I said it to them on Twitter. They explained that most people just caught an average of 20 mins sporadically and tailored the list to suit. Fair enough.

This year I tuning in as a 20 min listener and it's even worse.... Jimmy Durantes Frosty the Snowman, Natalie Coles Jingle Bells, Ray Coniffs We Need A Little Christmas and a few more over and over.... don't think I've heard Shaky once. :(

• Advertisement

washiskin wrote: »
    Over the years I always had it on during the day and noticed the play lists were almost the same for every show, so I said it to them on Twitter. They explained that most people just caught an average of 20 mins sporadically and tailored the list to suit. Fair enough.

This year I tuning in as a 20 min listener and it's even worse.... Jimmy Durantes Frosty the Snowman, Natalie Coles Jingle Bells, Ray Coniffs We Need A Little Christmas and a few more over and over.... don't think I've heard Shaky once. :(

The wrong 20mins then.......:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Clearly.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Quite enjoying it this year. I'm not subjected to it through work or anything, so maybe when I'm listening to it at my own free will - then it's a lot easier to listen to.

Have to agree though about some songs which are never played. The band aid songs after the original have never been played. Would be nice to hear Dizzie Rascal one once in a while. No Proper Crimbo either, or Dustins Christmas Tree ( OK I do have a weird Xmas request list)

The Sharon Shannon and Wallis Bird song is quite catchy amongst others that are only on Xmas FM, so it good to catch a few gems.

No sign of Mel and Kim Wilde's song either. I know the video contains a pic of Rolf Harris, but I don't think it's mentioned in the song.

I definitely heard a few new gems this year on Christmas FM. There are some tunes they play that never come up on those Christmas music shows on tv - sometimes good, sometimes irritating! There are also some songs they never play. I heard that song by Mel and Kim on Saturday night by the way, and, with or without the video, I wouldn't be mad about it! As regards Natalie Cole, I like Grown Up Christmas List (along with David Foster).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,039 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Whats it called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

NIMAN wrote: »
    Whats it called?

Christmas lights.

Christmas lights.

They have played it in previous years and it was featured on the Top of The Pops 2 Christmas specials on Gold and BBC4. But I haven't heard it on the radio so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,039 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

No Aled Jones played?? I don't think so..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

No Aled Jones played?? I don't think so..?

I haven't heard it. In fact, I can't remember the last time I heard it.

They have been playing a song called Make A Wish This Christmas. I only discovered the other day that it's Sole Seoige that sings it.

It was released or recorded around four years ago, judging by the uploads on YouTube.

It's the first year that I have heard it on Christmas FM anyway.

The playlist seems limited. There seemed to be more of a variety in earlier years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Does Christmas Fm have a streaming app?

Advertisement