Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Fm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

castle2012 wrote: »
    Yep I think Jim was involved back in the early pirate days

Christmas FM was never a pirate station!! Some of the guys behind Christmas FM were behind Premier FM, which started as a pirate before getting temporary licenses some years ago. Maybe, that's what you are thinking of, although I don't think Jim was involved with it when it was a pirate.

As regards Jim's involvement with Christmas FM. I may be wrong in describing him as a founder or owner - I'm not sure. I'm fairly sure he was part of the original management team, though. He had already established a relationship with the other principals during his time with Premier FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

It's now live on upc channel 900

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Steve King

Has anyone got a list of this year's presenters and when they're on? When I last checked the website it had just the list of the show titles and their times.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

No pleasing some people at all is there!'

Any of us keeping in touch with what's going on this year . Put on Joe Duffy, Primetime, rte news yesterday. Biggest crisis In this country is people homeless. I'm sorry if I sound selfish but can you imagine facing Christmas on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Any of us keeping in touch with what's going on this year . Put on Joe Duffy, Primetime, rte news yesterday. Biggest crisis In this country is people homeless. I'm sorry if I sound selfish but can you imagine facing Christmas on the streets.

This is exactly why they got it right in their choice of charity.

Homelessness is front page news. Old people being isolated and alone in their homes is not.

Now, which is more deserving of having awareness raised by Christmas FM?

It's a Christmas radio station, not a political movement or a stick to beat the government with.

• Advertisement

This is exactly why they got it right in their choice of charity.

Homelessness is front page news. Old people being isolated and alone in their homes is not.

Now, which is more deserving of having awareness raised by Christmas FM?

It's a Christmas radio station, not a political movement or a stick to beat the government with.

This is nothing to do with politics its to do with what's right.
    Suicide was heavily political when the station used Aware and rightly so , it was the right choice to go with Aware at the time.

Why is it not available in the north west on FM,would be nice to have it on the car radio? I tried 99.4 but is patchy around Sligo town!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Suicide was heavily political when the station used Aware and rightly so , it was the right choice to go with Aware at the time.

If you feel so strongly about what Christmas FM is not doing to please you, you should apply next year and then you can bang on about the homeless situation all you want. You clearly have a problem with what Christmas FM are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭radioland

If you feel so strongly about what Christmas FM is not doing to please you, you should apply next year and then you can bang on about the homeless situation all you want. You clearly have a problem with what Christmas FM are doing.

In my opinion Garvan & co do a great job at Christmas fm and promote a different charity each year. They're all volunteers and should be applauded . Other than knowing some of those involved, I've no connection whatsoever with the station

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

There was a dj on there before called Keith Shanley I think. A good Dj, why isn't he on any of the main stations? He used be on Sunshine I think.

He fills in on Midlands 103 the odd time.

• Advertisement

I know its hard to please everyone but disappointed there not raising money for the homeless this year. I feel its the biggest problem in this country at the moment.maybe a joint charity would have been better

You'll never select a charity that everyone agrees with. Personally i feel cancer services and palative care are more pressing than the homeless, which proves my point:o

I know age action is important but equally we have people dieing on the streets, 700 homeless kids in emergency accommodation surely they should have had joint this year

As i said you'll never please 100% of people. Charities are welcome to make submissions to Christmas FM in the early part of the year and then the decision is made what charity to go with. If the specific charity you champion do not make a submission then they won't be considered, which i feel is very fair.

As i said you'll never please 100% of people. Charities are welcome to make submissions to Christmas FM in the early part of the year and then the decision is made what charity to go with. If the specific charity you champion do not make a submission then they won't be considered, which i feel is very fair.

That's great Claude, thanks for the clarity, I appreciate your response. Some people on this board think there opinion
    Is the only one that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Christmas FM was never a pirate station!! Some of the guys behind Christmas FM were behind Premier FM, which started as a pirate before getting temporary licenses some years ago. Maybe, that's what you are thinking of, although I don't think Jim was involved with it when it was a pirate.

Radio Snowflake was however a pirate and first started back in 1982 in Sandymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Radioman44

He fills in on Midlands 103 the odd time.

Keith Shanley has presented Breakfast since the beginning of Christmas Fm. I "think" he's one of the last original presenters remaining on the station.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's great Claude, thanks for the clarity, I appreciate your response. Some people on this board think there opinion
    Is the only one that matters.

Like you, clearly. You've been shouting dow everyone else all thread.

No i havent, Conversation closed , But as always you have to have the last word

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No i havent, Conversation closed , But as always you have to have the last word

"as always" ? I haven't even encountered you previously on here so I've no idea where you're getting this from.

You spent multiple posts getting borderline abusive to anyone who didn't agree with you - if you can't realise that's what you were doing you really need to take a step back and look at your posts. This is especially important if you think it was other people refusing to take opinions on-board when it was, in fact, you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

homelessness is hi-lighted a lot and is being slowly dealt with by various charities. the charities christmas fm hi-light don't get as much if any exposure

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

L1011 wrote: »
    "as always" ? I haven't even encountered you previously on here so I've no idea where you're getting this from.

You spent multiple posts getting borderline abusive to anyone who didn't agree with you - if you can't realise that's what you were doing you really need to take a step back and look at your posts. This is especially important if you think it was other people refusing to take opinions on-board when it was, in fact, you.

As I said conversation closed. If you care to read my post s you ll see i accepted what claude said.There only one poster here continuing to throw abuse around . And I'm not wasting my time reading there post s . Good luck to all. Christmas fm love the music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

To get back on track, it's always a pleasure to hear all the great Christmas songs, as well as familiar greats presenting . Well done to everybody involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

does anyone have a schedule of when presenters will be on (not the names of the shows as per the christmas fm website)?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Radioman44

does anyone have a schedule of when presenters will be on (not the names of the shows as per the christmas fm website)?

I'm inclined to agree with you. It would be nice to know, who is presenting what. After all, many of our Radio Preseters from various stations are giving up there time. I believe there are also presenters who are not on Radio full time and who certainly should be. Mike Moloney, Keith Shanley are names that come to mind. The attention to detail on the Christmas Fm website is sadly lacking. After saying all that, it's a great station and for a great cause. Well done to all the "un-named"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I didn't think that Jim Kenny founded Christmas FM. Certainly he was involved with it for a few years but from the first run?

Jim (RIP) was involved in Christmas FM. He also did stints with Walter's other temp station runs ala Premier and Kevin B's Choice FM.

From memory Christmas FM was Darragh O Sullivan (ex Pulse103 Founder) Garvan Rigby's (Spirit FM PD) and Walter Hegarty's (jointer founder of serial temp Premier FM) baby. I am not too sure on this but I have some recollection that Garv tested this in his pirate days of runinng Sun FM, prior to what is now a licensed annual Christmas station, like they have in the US.

Anyway fair whack to the them, it takes a lot of hard work to setup and run a station for a month especially for a temporary basis. The old ethos of giving up your time for free is not lost on me.

The whole charity angle must be a wet dream for the BAI. One very good use of the 30 day licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

STB. wrote: »
    Jim (RIP) was involved in Christmas FM. He also did stints with Walter's other temp station runs ala Premier and Kevin B's Choice FM.

From memory Christmas FM was Darragh O Sullivan (ex Pulse103 Founder) Garvan Rigby's (Spirit FM PD) and Walter Hegarty's (jointer founder of serial temp Premier FM) baby. I am not too sure on this but I have some recollection that Garv tested this in his pirate days of runinng Sun FM, prior to what is now a licensed annual Christmas station, like they have in the US.

Anyway fair whack to the them, it takes a lot of hard work to setup and run a station for a month especially for a temporary basis. The old ethos of giving up your time for free is not lost on me.

The whole charity angle must be a wet dream for the BAI. One very good use of the 30 day licence.

And also Paul Shepherd, who is joint founder of Premier FM. Garv and Darragh turned up on Premier FM too as presenters. I think that is how Paul and Walter got to really know them. By the way, Premier FM had 3 temporary license runs - hardly "serial", not compared to Christmas FM!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Who's the American female presenter on at the moment (up to midnight)? I don't think I've ever heard her before.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Whoever thought up of this station in the first place deserves great credit, a great station and a credit to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Whoever the guy on-air now is, he sure loves saying 'of course'. :pac:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Does anyone have any issues with the internet streams?

I'm using a Roberts Internet radio, yet the stream seems dead most of the time.

Can't find a URL to add one manually, as the one on the radio list must be wrong.

• Advertisement

Try using this link mate:

http://ice31.securenetsystems.net/XMASFM

Advertisement