Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your first paid job?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

sadie06 wrote: »
    Bag packing in Superquinn. We were sent on a training course for a day to learn how to do it! I found my first love while in that job at aged 16. He was a shelf stacker. Good memories.

Wow replace with tesco and we've got identical stories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

"Helping" my dad with his roofing work when I was 14. In hindsight, I didn't really do anything useful as my mother wouldn't allow me up on a roof at that age! I sat in his van and "manned the phone" in case mam called. I also tied jackdaw cages to ropes so that he could pull them up onto the roof. Got well paid though :) I remember we were doing a job at some well to do woman's house and she came out in the end and gave me a big tip. I think she was impressed that a teenage girl was not too vain to put on a pair of overalls and earn some cash :D He pretty much ruined it for every other employer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Lounge boy

Is that like a rent boy?

McDonalds on Grafton Street - 1991 for £2 an hour. I remember when the rate suddenly jumped to £2.65 - felt absolutely minted!

I remember working in Supervalu for €6.35 and was delighted to work Sundays as we got €8.35 then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Picking spuds for farmers at home in Tipp. Fields were huge and the work seemed endless. Can remember the older men all bringing a change of clothes for dole-day and the farmer dropping them into town on the back of his tractor.

Seems like a million years ago in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I worked as a 'shop boy' in a local deli. It was a posh shop so got great tips at christmas.....£2 per hour the rest of the time.
    I was 14 when I started there and worked there up to leaving school. Having a few quid in my pocket back then was great...could afford stuff that none of my peers could.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I worked at the local cinema from age 15, every day after school.

It was just tearing tickets and selling ice creams until the films started, then I could do my homework.

I didn't get to spend much money on things I would have liked, though, I was saving up to go to university.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I remember working in Supervalu for €6.35 and was delighted to work Sundays as we got €8.35 then!

If I remember rightly we got time and a half for Sundays but working a bank holiday for double time was so worth it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Superquinn, fish counter, £1.29 per hour. Summer '89 I think.

Horrendous, just gutting salmon all day long really. Bags and bags of fish guts, and the feckin' stink off us.

Used to piss me off how much the aul wans loved Fergal Quinn, when he paid his staff so poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Laydon's Cash and Carry in Fairview, Dublin, in about '72. £5 per week. My mum took £2 for food and board.

• Advertisement

If I remember rightly we got time and a half for Sundays but working a bank holiday for double time was so worth it.

Our manager was so miserly we got time and a third!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I think it was just a weekend of janitorial work in a secondary school one summer. was working with a good mate and got to break furniture to bits in a school, was great craic. A very tall school locker did fall on my finger though..

I have never ever had a proper part-time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Summer job in a Furniture factory. 12 hrs a day 6 days a week. Cutting MDF on an old Table Panel Saw with no extraction system. Breaking so many laws, wouldn't get away with is nowadays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Shenshen wrote: »
    I worked at the local cinema from age 15, every day after school.

It was just tearing tickets and selling ice creams until the films started, then I could do my homework.

I didn't get to spend much money on things I would have liked, though, I was saving up to go to university.

How did you get work in a cinema???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

braddun wrote: »
    a window repair person,paid me 1 pound per window to break about 5 windows in an area

then he would sit in his van down the street,with sheets of glass outside,it usully happened when the wife took the children to school,then they came back ,usully I just cracked it,it only lasted a few weeks as he got arrested

that is mental if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

braddun wrote: »
    a window repair person,paid me 1 pound per window to break about 5 windows in an area

then he would sit in his van down the street,with sheets of glass outside,it usully happened when the wife took the children to school,then they came back ,usully I just cracked it,it only lasted a few weeks as he got arrested

Thats one hell of a story :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Worked as a general labourer in the Gardens of a mansion. Not quite Downton but about 5 times the size of my house now :)
    There was even a real maid - a woman who had served her time in one of the last Colonial Estates in this country and had then gone over to England before returning for this job.
    Lady of the house was in her late '90's. What a woman - she remembered the Wright brothers first flight and lived through the moon landings.

I worked hard ( ached from head to foot each evening and I have never slept like I did then) and got paid 5 punts per day - that was great money in the mid '70's. Lasted til she died and the house was sold.

Hadn't thought about that for years, thanks for reminding me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Forecourt attendant when I was 16/17 in the early '80's. I got the princely sum of £1 an hour. I hated it as it was utterly boring and the guy manning the till was not only the spitting image of Monty Burns but gave him a run for his money in the "Evil" stakes as well. He didn't like me being in the office at all so would make me stand outside in all weathers as it "looked more professional" while he sat there with the heater on listening to the radio. If any of his cronies came in, I'd have to give their car the mother of all services while he insisted to them that I was "well paid enough, so don't be giving him a tip."

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

grass cutting in the summer, me and my mate (RIP), upgraded to a petrol mower after a while, nice one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

"Cold and sometimes wet but we got ten shillings a day. The farmer would only employ girl as he said boys fought."

This from the op
    Does no one else have a mental image of an aul english farmer dragging himself around the field admiring the wonderfull view of a line of young wans bent over with their arses in the air picking spuds .
    Boys fought yeah right!
    My self about 10 on the grandfathers farm stacking bales in the A a penny a bale mid eightys

• Advertisement
Advertisement