Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your first paid job?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Another strawberry picker here. Hated it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

In a computer game store called joystick when I was 15. My job mostly consisted of minding kids when there parents went shopping by holding street fighter competitions. It was a young teenagers dream job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,281 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Working for a silage contractor during the summer holidays, long hours but it was great to have my own money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Commis chef, prep work all day.. hated it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,322 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mid 70s petrol pump attendant on a Saturday morning. Then got a job as school cleaner - 2 hours every night after school at 55p an hour. In the summer holidays I worked on a farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

On the tote Shelbourne Park 67/68.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

actor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The day I finished the junior cert I walked into the pub on the way home from the school and asked for a job. Started the following night at the princely rate of £2 per hour. It made that nights dolly mixture all the more sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Bag packing in Superquinn. We were sent on a training course for a day to learn how to do it! I found my first love while in that job at aged 16. He was a shelf stacker. Good memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

First was when I was 14 & babysitting; well, babysitting in terms of one being only 2-years my junior. Think it was more a case of ensuring the house wasn't burned down; that the kids stayed alive and something warm was almost ready when the parents came in from work though tbh as opposed to 'babysitting'!

Yup, all three ticked off, all tasks were done okay! :)
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

McDonalds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Dunnes. Late 90's. £4.12 an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Picking schtones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Lounge boy

Wtf is a lounge boy..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Pat the veger around d5 in a van when i was like 10. An entire day for 8 euro stingy bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

When: 90s
    Where: My grandaunt's
    Role: Telling my grandaunt about how I was going to be a priest and all the holy things I was doing to prepare for it. She couldn't stop herself from throwing money at me once she got thinking about having a priest in the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ruu wrote: »
    Picking schtones!

I did that for a while summer before, used to just get stoned all the time. Great craic firing rocks into a dumper while off your head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Babysitting here too - easy gig as it was an only boy about 7/8 and he was in bed for most of it. Never forget the night the fuse box tripped - parents were impressed I was able to locate it (they had a biiiigggg house! - it was in the "games room")
    Then progressed onto hotel work - loved it. Got a live in job in a place in Kerry for the sumner after my leaving and worked split shifts mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Merrion

Night time counter staff in a Chinese take-away.
    Bank holiday weekends were very messy - drunks and fights and so much casual racism :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

1989- Lounge boy sun-thur €5 per night & Fri Sat €7 :D great craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Babysitting in a hotel. I was only 15, but it was the hotel my Mother works in so she got me the job. I was so lucky! €12 (cash in hand) per hour to pretty much watch TV most of the time. I was always good with kids so I enjoyed it anyway. Was probably too young to be doing it, but never had any complaints..

A year after that I worked in a kiddies club and pool in a hotel, was there for 3 years. Was on €5.10 per hour there. Was stressful enough, sometime we would have 40 kids at a time in the place. Still did the babysitting in the other hotel at night.They moved me to the creche after two years which was easier, but a bit boring. Only so much Dora The Explorer you can watch.. I was quite lucky with jobs when I was in school. There was always work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Babysitting in a hotel. I was only 15, but it was the hotel my Mother works in so she got me the job. I was so lucky! €12 (cash in hand) per hour to pretty much watch TV most of the time. I was always good with kids so I enjoyed it anyway. Was probably too young to be doing it, but never had any complaints..

A year after that I worked in a kiddies club and pool in a hotel, was there for 3 years. Was on €5.10 per hour there. Was stressful enough, sometime we would have 40 kids at a time in the place. Still did the babysitting in the other hotel at night.They moved me to the creche after two years which was easier, but a bit boring. Only so much Dora The Explorer you can watch.. I was quite lucky with jobs when I was in school. There was always work.

Paper route.
    then a fast food place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Working in a shoe dept of a massive dept store. I used to work Thursday after school Friday after school Saturday and Sunday, and get paid on a Saturday night, which would go on the shoes I would hide at the back of the stock room for pay day. The start of an obsession. The best job ever

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SoSheSaid

Working in a hairdressers, washing hair and cleaning floors. I was convinced I wanted to be a hairdresser at the time, and no harm to anyone who is but I'm bloody glad I changed my mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Wtf is a lounge boy..

I think its what Dubs call rent boys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Musgrave Cash & Carry 1988, collecting trollies from the car park and bringing trollies out to costumers car and packing them, nor sure what the wages were but not bad, and a lot of tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

At 14 in a local sweet/toy shop. And the owner would give me my supper before i went home. she was a nice lady:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Tesco - shelf-stacking!

Well Quinnsworth... :o

/old[/quot

ditto shelf stacking in Quinnsworth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Pushing trolleys in the underground car park in superquinn, getting paid £2.11 an hour,back in 1994

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Shopkeeper in a souvenir and gift shop

Advertisement