Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drinking and Wild Camping

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

That's not very Christian. It was a genuine question and I didn't get the answer I expected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

mechanically propelled vehicle#

if you were sat in the seat of an electric car so pished you could get away with it.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hachiko wrote: »
    mechanically propelled vehicle#

if you were sat in the seat of an electric car so pished you could get away with it.?
    An electric car is a mechanically propelled vehicle.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0003.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

As far as I know, the engine has to be running in order for you to be in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle. In other words, the car is being 'driven' as long as the engine is turned on. When the engine is off, the car is then parked and you're not in control of it or driving it
    No key in the ignition while sitting in the drivers seat is enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

corktina wrote: »
    That's not very Christian. It was a genuine question and I didn't get the answer I expected

I know what you mean and I don't have a definitive answer, except that getting done for that would require a particularly vindictive copper who on top of it has it in for you because you did something to him like sleep with his wife or run over his dog (or the other way round).
    It is up there with stories like some guy in the US failing his company drug test because he ate absolutely everything coated in poppy seeds.
    This being Ireland, I guess the answer is, as usual, it depends...

Except for one thing:
    If you are parked in a camping ground, extremely unlikely, but if you are parked anywhere beside the road or a public car park, I would say that you stand a very good chance of being woken up by a knock on the door, because if you look at the signs in any car park, it says "no camping or overnight parking". Most likely you will be asked to move along and then you could say you can't, due to drink taken. Then you are the mercy of the copper again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Nope, not according to many anecdotes. "drunk in charge" is the offence I believe and being in the drivers seat with the keys is enough to get in trouble by several accounts. No firsthand experience though!

Its not they are smart responsible drunks ; ) to punish them would just be plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Nope, not according to many anecdotes. "drunk in charge" is the offence I believe and being in the drivers seat with the keys is enough to get in trouble by several accounts. No firsthand experience though!

Its not they are smart responsible drunks ; ) to punish them would just be plain wrong.

I know what you mean and I don't have a definitive answer, except that getting done for that would require a particularly vindictive copper who on top of it has it in for you because you did something to him like sleep with his wife or run over his dog (or the other way round).
    It is up there with stories like some guy in the US failing his company drug test because he ate absolutely everything coated in poppy seeds.
    This being Ireland, I guess the answer is, as usual, it depends...

Except for one thing:
    If you are parked in a camping ground, extremely unlikely, but if you are parked anywhere beside the road or a public car park, I would say that you stand a very good chance of being woken up by a knock on the door, because if you look at the signs in any car park, it says "no camping or overnight parking". Most likely you will be asked to move along and then you could say you can't, due to drink taken. Then you are the mercy of the copper again.

that hasn't happened anyway..I stay away form car parks usually, prefering a nice quite spot out of town. I'd just ignore the knock anyway, there's no way they could tell there was someone in there and I don't think the Gards would want to bother enforcing by-laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

corktina wrote: »
    that hasn't happened anyway..I stay away form car parks usually, prefering a nice quite spot out of town. I'd just ignore the knock anyway, there's no way they could tell there was someone in there and I don't think the Gards would want to bother enforcing by-laws.

I take it you don't snore? :-)

dunno, I never hear me

• Advertisement

Except for one thing:
    If you are parked in a camping ground, extremely unlikely, but if you are parked anywhere beside the road or a public car park, I would say that you stand a very good chance of being woken up by a knock on the door, because if you look at the signs in any car park, it says "no camping or overnight parking".

Where has city roadside parking ever had a restriction on overnight parking? Most roadside parking is also used by residents in the area so its impossible, same actually for most council car parks.

The only type of place I've seen "no overnight parking" is places like shopping centre car parks, never in council run city centre car parks which are always nearly full at night.

I find a lot of car parks, particularly at seaside locations have restrictions on overnighting and cooking. How much these are enforced I don't know.

Yeah I meant to add car parks at beaches or parks etc to that too. I had parking in city centre in mind though as opposed holiday spots i.e. heading into town of a Saturday evening, park up central fairly close to the pubs (but obviously in a quiet spot) and head on the beer and then back and sleep in the camper. Thts the sort of use Id have in mind for one.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Every truck driver with a sleeper cab would get done if this was an offence.
    Mythbusted.

Advertisement