Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: Round 19 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Picking up a flag stewards won't like that. :eek:
    Of course even being disqualified wouldn't make any difference to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

And there we have Nico - gracious in defeat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Adamocovic wrote: »
    He congratulated him over the radio, I imagine he will go in person after the presentations and that are over with.

He's done it now. At least he's spared having to be up on the podium.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Well done Lewis. Hard luck Nico. Bring on next season!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I can imagine we might seeing a very similar result this time next year too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

The reason i hate abu dabi as the final race ......... Rosewater sigh :( its just not the same

How bloody tall is Toto??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

He's done it now. At least he's spared having to be up on the podium.

That is very true! Hard to imagine Mercedes will have such an advantage next year so realistically it could have been his best chance to win a world championship. He could still do it don't get me wrong, but it was a two horse race all year so I'm sure he will be very disappointed he couldn't capitalise on that.

For Lewis well he is too good of a driver to have not won another championship.

Going to be an interesting break now with teams changing and drivers coming and going. Fingers crossed we see Jenson again in a F1 car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

antodeco wrote: »
    How bloody tall is Toto??

I think its more so how small are the drivers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Button 5th and Mag 11th. What does that tell you Mclaren.
    Top Dog wrote: »
    And his 5th keeps McLaren above Force India in the constructors championship ;)
    Adamocovic wrote: »
    And didn't he finish with nearly double the points Mag got for the whole season!

I think it's pretty clear Ron and Boullier don't rate Button as highly as they should do. Nor do they have a clear idea what they're supposed to do next. All that is because their car, and their engineering, and their team hasn't been up to scratch. Now they're struggling to justify to a top driver why he should move there, and can't even make a simple decision about what drivers they want to keep.

Not a good sign for the future. Button should have blown them off earlier and announced a move to WEC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Karma caught up with Rosberg.

67 points is more representative of the season and the gulf in class between the two of them so Double Points has done something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Well deserved by Hamilton, pity for Rosberg his car deprived him of a chance to fight for the win.
    Thank **** double points made no difference today.

Richie6904 wrote: »
    I think its more so how small are the drivers :P

It always makes me happy knowing I'm the same height as Alonso!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

HighLine wrote: »
    That was stupid to ask Nico to box anyway! It's not like they need to save the unit.

I presume it was to allow him into the back of the garage and avoid the media. Just the team trying to make the pain of losing the title a bit easier for Rosberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Button's interview on the BBC just now looks like he's accepted that was his last race. Which would be a shame...

I think it's pretty clear Ron and Boullier don't rate Button as highly as they should do. Nor do they have a clear idea what they're supposed to do next. All that is because their car, and their engineering, and their team hasn't been up to scratch. Now they're struggling to justify to a top driver why he should move there, and can't even make a simple decision about what drivers they want to keep.

Not a good sign for the future. Button should have blown them off earlier and announced a move to WEC.
    I heard something mentioned about possible sponsorship from Alonso giving McLaren the extra few quid necessary to keep Button on the books. If that's true it's pathetic to be honest. Is there a better "number 2" driver available anywhere? Any extra few million they have to spend on Button will be got back through prize money and I'm sure Honda would be happy to get a few quid in.

To me it looks like Ron Dennis basically tried to pin the last couple of years on the drivers and Whitmarsh and has backed himself into a corner. Along with Dennis's stubborness from years ago of course.

antodeco wrote: »
    It always makes me happy knowing I'm the same height as Alonso!
    I always maintain that my height is the reason I could never be a top-level racing driver.

Nice interview from Jense on BBC. Maybe we will see him next year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Niki lauda is a legend. Giving the finger to german tv on the bbc was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Hope Button is back on the grid next year. Should guarantee McLaren a certain ammount of stability if he stays. Help develop new car and engine. Alonso might take a while to settle in and having a benchmark to know what direction they're going in could be pretty critical

Funny/Weird interview on sky with Button just there (tweaking nipples etc):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Good point from Ted on the Notebook. Button has saved McLaren 10's of Millions of pounds. Probably more than Magnussen brings to the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

1x podium, 4x 4th places, a couple of 5th places in a season where he scored points in 13 out of 19 races in an uncompetitive car, Dennis and Boulier must be off there heads if they let him go, not to mention his Japanese girlfriend possibly helping Button to sell plenty of McLaren merchandise in Japan, where McLarens 2015 engine happens to be made, surely he has to be on the grid next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Confirmation of Alonso going to McLaren. Source? King Juan Carlos of Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Photo from perc ferme...
    lewis-hamilton-celebrates-abu-dhabi-sunday-2014.jpg?w=900

Great picture!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Niki Lauda flipping the bird to his RTL crew while talking to suzi on the forum.
    B3JEi9OCIAIB7rx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Gillespy wrote: »
    Karma caught up with Rosberg.

67 points is more representative of the season and the gulf in class between the two of them so Double Points has done something.

Rosberg has dominated Hamilton in qualifying. He's beaten him fair and square in many races. Hamilton was better, but to describe the gap as a "gulf" is disingenuous. At one point earlier this year, Hamilton's head was down and people started suggesting Rosberg was going to walk out. That was as ridiculous as suggesting the double points gap at the end was indicative.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

walshb wrote: »
    Who's the very attractive girl next to Nicole? In between Nicole and Lewis' brother?

Lewis brothers girlfriend I'm pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Rosberg has dominated Hamilton in qualifying. He's beaten him fair and square in many races. Hamilton was better, but to describe the gap as a "gulf" is disingenuous. At one point earlier this year, Hamilton's head was down and people started suggesting Rosberg was going to walk out. That was as ridiculous as suggesting the double points gap at the end was indicative.

If Rosberg dominated qualifying, what word describes the races? Look up the stats and cite examples from races of why Rosberg was better than a 67 points margin.

I think he has a record number of second place finishes and that's great but that is that car's default position when the other one wins. He hasn't passed Hamilton all season and all his poles are for naught if he doesn't convert them. Average. Flattered by the car. The best driver won and the margin reflects his dominance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Nice touch from Mercedes.
    This was driver default #44 that came up on @LewisHamilton's screen on the in lap! HOW COOL IS THAT?!

B3JQciRCYAAJv3_.jpg:large

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    Photo from perc ferme...

That's awesome Frostie. You probably got your mush on the TV too! :)

Advertisement