Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track bikes - general discussion

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Who's she paired up with?:)

Was married to Joe Dolan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

The nomnium should be in in about a week and a bit. Looking forward to seeing it :)

Quick question - is it possible to fit brakes to a non drilled fork? Would make it a lot handier for getting to the track.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

lennymc wrote: »
    Quick question - is it possible to fit brakes to a non drilled fork? Would make it a lot handier for getting to the track.

You can definitely fit back ones with plate brakes, and I think you can get ones with a clamp that will work for the front. Dia Compe do them AFAIK

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The nomnium should be in in about a week and a bit. Looking forward to seeing it :)

You can get ones that clamp into the fork, but clearance may be an issue.

In a separate question, I am kind of on the look out for some cheap bars. I don't want sprint bars, but a 34-36" or even smaller ergo bars, (I don't like the lack of 'shoulders' on sprint or track bars bars :o) and I can only find 36" ones new on wiggle. Is that all there is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

gadetra wrote: »
    You can get ones that clamp into the fork, but clearance may be an issue.

In a separate question, I am kind of on the look out for some cheap bars. I don't want sprint bars, but a 34-36" or even smaller ergo bars, (I don't like the lack of 'shoulders' on sprint or track bars bars :o) and I can only find 36" ones new on wiggle. Is that all there is?

Why do you want narrower. You can go too narrow too. I ride 40s or 42s. Going super narrow for endurance events can work against you as your arms are at an angle, may be at an angle, that crushes your lungs.

• Advertisement

Why do you want narrower. You can go too narrow too. I ride 40s or 42s. Going super narrow for endurance events can work against you as your arms are at an angle, may be at an angle, that crushes your lungs.

The bars on my commuter/regular (all round legend of a bike Henri!) are 36" and I find them really really comfy. They fit me well. The bars on Rosa (track bike) are 44" and feel way too wide. H told me to change them if I can.

There seem to only be compact bars in smaller sizes though, I don't like the feel of compact bars at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I stand corrected. That's super narrow, to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I have 36 bars on my track bike. They are deda cheap alu ones i got on bike24. They are quite shallow but I like them.

I have 36 bars on my track bike. They are deda cheap alu ones i got on bike24. They are quite shallow but I like them.

Cool thanks I'll check it out. I'm not a fan of compact bars though, my hands can't find a home on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

The bars on my commuter/regular (all round legend of a bike Henri!) are 36" and I find them really really comfy. They fit me well. The bars on Rosa (track bike) are 44" and feel way too wide. H told me to change them if I can.

There seem to only be compact bars in smaller sizes though, I don't like the feel of compact bars at all.

I love compact bars, more important on the road bike for me as reaching the levers is an issue otherwise.

Have 3T Ergos on my track bike, think 38 is the smallest though (that's what I have). Personally wouldn't want to go any smaller, but 44 is way too wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 alanjgalbraith

You know the say "once you go narrow, you never go back" .... and narrow bars "can" keep you more stable at higher cadence as you have less upper body movement ... and let you get through smaller gaps ...
    Quick browse ....
    Carbon 3T Scatto comes in 35 & 37cm (31.8 mm) Woah!!! bit expensive!
    Nitto B123 (25.4) come with "track drop" in 34 to 40cm
    Search "tracksupermarket Nitto B123"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I prefer 38s on my road bike, always the most comfortable. Would most use the same size for both track and road?

Maybe I'll go with 38 then. There might be more choice.

Now to go into bike shops and try out their bars. "Do you want to go for a spin?" Me: "No I just want to have a go of your bars thanks." :pac:

Narrower are more stable? I'm sold! Thanks Alan, off to google with me! I do much prefer narrower bars on my main bike. I'm never gonna be brave enough to be squeezing through narrow gaps ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

CramCycle wrote: »
    I prefer 38s on my road bike, always the most comfortable. Would most use the same size for both track and road?

I do, 38s on road and track, but 40s on the cross bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭usheeeen

CramCycle wrote: »
    You can definitely fit back ones with plate brakes, and I think you can get ones with a clamp that will work for the front. Dia Compe do them AFAIK

Only for steel forks though. No luck if you have carbon

after a slight delay, I got a call to say my bike is in the shop. Picking it up tomorrow. Yay.

after a slight delay, I got a call to say my bike is in the shop. Picking it up tomorrow. Yay.

Deadly See you Saturday ;)

Deadly See you Saturday ;)

cheers Gadetra. wont make this saturday (i think) but hope to make the following one! I do have turbo nuts (!!!) so should be able to get some time on the bike before going to track.

I picked up the bike at lunch time. It wasn't heavy, so after a few minutes I put it down again. Nice finish on it, looks and feels stiff, it's really small. Looking forward to trying it out on the turbo later.

339448.JPG

Advertisement