Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Really smart racing, DG, well done again.

But as I didn't understand anything after the part where you had a glass of wine, a few questions...

...if Karla was the only senior, she could have come last and won a gold, right?
    ...The o-50 athlete won the race...? But all she had to do was beat the only other o-50 athlete? (Who from the results did something like 5:35)... So she didn't hold back... Those o-50 women are badass!

I am in awe of all of you, congrats again on the gold!

PS, I read your log backwards... Now even more in awe after your lost weekend! Think what you could do if you gave up the vino ;). Only joking, that's too big a sacrifice :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the Gold, very well run race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great racing, as always, A, you're really nailing this track and XC business at the pointy end of things. Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done A, you'll have to get a vault put in for all the gold your collecting,
    really reaping rewards from all the dedication.
    Thanks G. Hope you're recovering well this week. Sounds like you really wiped yourself out - literally - so take care and recover well.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great stuff, DG, and glad you know you ran a great race. Can't get any better than gold after all now, can ya :D.
    Haha yeah it felt good in the end, I'll admit. Must have been all your slapping sense into me :D:D Nice one on committing to the 800 in August. We must get together for a track session.
    Firedance wrote: »
    Absolutely, 3pm most days :D

WHOOP WHOOP, you did it (again) girl, I know you've gone to bed (gold medal for that) but I had to tell you you Rock xx
    Aw thanks :cool: :)
    Well done A. Absolutely fantastic stuff (but that's quickly becoming the norm here :D)

Congratulations on the bling
    Thank you! Never take it for granted though. All I wanted to do when I picked up those running shoes again was to run strong and run fast like I used to. I Don't care so much about being as strong/fast as I used to be, the feeling of satisfaction is exactly the same, knowing you ran to your best on the day :)
    annapr wrote: »
    Really smart racing, DG, well done again.

But as I didn't understand anything after the part where you had a glass of wine, a few questions...

...if Karla was the only senior, she could have come last and won a gold, right?
    ...The o-50 athlete won the race...? But all she had to do was beat the only other o-50 athlete? (Who from the results did something like 5:35)... So she didn't hold back... Those o-50 women are badass!

I am in awe of all of you, congrats again on the gold!

PS, I read your log backwards... Now even more in awe after your lost weekend! Think what you could do if you gave up the vino ;). Only joking, that's too big a sacrifice :D.
    Yes, I was confused too. I thought they had to have a quorum of three as well but that may be for a standalone race. So three seniors turning up would have guaranteed a single senior race.
    So we had 4/5 races within a race: 1) senior 2) o/35 3) o/40 4) o45 (?) 5 o/50

So yes, Karla could have come last but she was guaranteed a win in her cat. She came second overall, I think, the bad ass o/50 is pretty much a legend on the track. I am going to save my bad assedness for the o/50 cat :o
    I decided to let them go cos my championship was against MC and BG ;) I happened to race EL (o/35) because she insisted on running in our group :D

Clearer now? As mud??
    Younganne wrote: »
    Congrats on the Gold, very well run race.
    Thanks Anne. So you have been persuaded to join the WTFs? women track fairies TM
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Great racing, as always, A, you're really nailing this track and XC business at the pointy end of things. Well done :)

Thanks Neady. See above comment though to BnB. What you been up to yourself lately, all good? I must take the plunge over to your log one day. Plunge...see what i did?! :D

Dubgal72 wrote: »

Thanks Neady. See above comment though to BnB. What you been up to yourself lately, all good? I must take the plunge over to your log one day. Plunge...see what i did?! :D

Ha ha oh I've been so bold, haven't been to the pool in a while. Need to get into gear and start back at it while the changing rooms are warm.

Other then that, I've been very quiet, nothing to see over on my log, no point in even going over there :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Neady83 wrote: »
    Ha ha oh I've been so bold, haven't been to the pool in a while. Need to get into gear and start back at it while the changing rooms are warm.

Other then than, I've been very quiet, nothing to see over on my log, no point in even going over there :)

Ha ha haaaaa that's just not true :p she's afraid your gonna give out to her DG :D

Ha ha haaaaa that's just not true :p she's afraid your gonna give out to her DG :D

I don't know what you're talking about :o

p.s. yes DG, I'm going to get given out to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

We're not worthy we're not worthy :) super stuff A you are having such great races well done must be all that cycling on that fancy bike of yours. :)

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    We're not worthy we're not worthy :) super stuff A you are having such great races well done must be all that cycling on that fancy bike of yours. :)

That fancy bike has me wrecked in this hot weather! Yesterday was school -> beach -> Killruddery -> home via several horrible hills. On a rest day :eek: Thankfully coachy doesn't read this :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Big congrats A. Great achievement, I hope you're savouring it appropriately before you no doubt refocus on the next challenge with the same drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just catching up here, massive congrats, great achievement.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Big congrats A. Great achievement, I hope you're savouring it appropriately before you no doubt refocus on the next challenge with the same drive.
    Thanks laura. The Main Thing ;) is in August so yes, have the eye on that
    Just catching up here, massive congrats, great achievement.

Thank you! :)

Running log week beg Mon 6 June 2016

Mon
    AM: 60 mins v easy, one or two hills but easy pace and effort. V hot.
    A really pleasant afternoon stewarding on the Belfield flyover. Such a fantastic atmosphere. Love this event.

Heel drops etc am and pm
    No cycling

Tue
    Rest
    Short cycle

Wed
    AM: heel drops, knee bends, cobras and rear leg lunges
    Pre run Prep: some short hold stretches and stand up Myrtl

Key session #1 Hills, 8.5 miles
    Thought this week was a step back week. Haha. Due to logistics, no one was going to Ballinastoe yesterday. Headed out around the back roads of Enniskerry and picked the longest, steepest, nastiest hills I could find and pushed hard on them. 65 minutes total, probably 30 minutes of actual hills. Avg 8mm pace or thereabouts. Dull ache in butt towards end, stretched adductors thoroughly afterwards along with ice bath :eek:
    Plantar played up too later in day. First time in weeks and suspect it is related to the butt ache.

Lots of cycling.

Legs unpleasantly wrecked by bed time

Thur
    AM heel drops and knee bends
    Pre-run: stand up Myrtl

40 mins mainly on grass. Tired. Legs v tired, really not feeling the love on this. Real recovery pace and effort but legs tired nevertheless.
    Post-run: lower back and hamstring stretches with Cole. This sequence worked a dream and really loosened the whole lower lumbar area out.

Medium cycling

Fri
    Usual stuff on waking. Hadn't done 'stuff' before bed and I noticed it again this morning.

Cycle on school run followed by:
    key session #2 10x200 with 200 jog rec
    Did the full monty warm up. Done thoroughly and not too relaxed, this takes 55 mins. It can be tapered or cut short with even whole sections left out if need be but is essentially the warm up I am using for key sessions and races this season. It will probably be altered for XC/winter.

- 12-15 mins shuffle jogging
    - Limbers
    - Short hold stretches of all muscle groups
    - Drills
    - Strides
    - Stand up Myrtl

10x 200m ( roughly) in spikes on grass
    I have been using the same stretch of '200' as previous sessions but the start may change slightly according to grass lines on pitch. Therefore I won't compare times to previous sessions, rather look for consistency within the session. For this session, I only timed 1,3,5,7 and 9
    These were 34.xx 34.xx 34.xx 33.xx and 32.xx Pushed this session and got up to top speed without any significant complaints from the usual suspects.

Warm down and the usual bit of cycling afterwards.

Sat
    Trip to London to see family. Usual jaunt along the Thames from Surbiton to beyond kingston. Summer air is always a lot heavier in London but despite this, a gorgeous morning for running. Probably faster than recovery pace. Ok, definitely but feck it, the legs felt good and I was on a just feck it, I ran too fast :p

Sun
    Rebel me. Ditched the planned 12 miles. Am still in shock. Am half delighted with myself, half mortified. Don't know what got into me. #Londonlivin

Weekly breakdown: 5 days running, about 33 miles
    2 key sessions
    1 ditched run
    2 recoveries
    Lots of cycling
    One farmers tan
    2 slightly off-white legs :cool:
    Too many late nights :mad:

All the other stuff done except squats and full Myrtl. Get back on it woman.

Running log week beg mon 13 June 2016

Mon
    Complete rest
    Easy cycle
    PM heel drops, knee bends, cobras and rear leg lunge

Tue
    AM heel drops, knee bends and cobra

High cycle day but easy effort. Saw on FD's log some advice from Adrian about keeping certain muscles stretched so must keep on top of the yoga stuff. Plantar on both feet has definitely been tighter lately. Nothing serious, but something to monitor.
    Used limbers and stand up Myrtl to flush cycle from legs.

Key session #1:
    3 mile tempo @6:30/mi target pace
    (for ease of my poor brain 1 mile = 1600m)
    5.5mi total

Actual 20:06/6:42 per 1600m

Warm up: 2k jog incl one long pick up of 200m at target pace towards end.

I had no markers along the way, only the first half mile which I worked out should have been at 3:15 per 800m. Glanced at watch, 3:16 so job done. Unfortunately, I fell of the pace, probably on the second 2k lap but effort was there so....

Tempos are my least favourite session. I guess I struggle with concentration. Give me a fartlek session and I can nail it, average pace for a four mile fartlek session has been faster than today. Maybe the effort levels were more accurate today, I didn't empty the tank but I'd say I did on the fartlek session. Anyway, session in the bank.

I had the opportunity to discuss this aspect of my training with the pa over the weekend. We have a tacit understanding not to discuss my training in any depth as it could be a conflict of interest. I chose to throw my lot in with my club, and of course coachy, two years ago next month and taking advice from elsewhere would be, well, just not cool.

He - the pa - has recently put on his coaching hat again on a temporary basis until his club appoint a new women's coach. He last coached in his club 10 years ago and is pleasantly surprised how it has all come back to him. I suggested to him that focussing on your training strengths is the way to go, i.e., that I reckon I thrive on hill sessions, fartlek, speed intervals and long runs. Tempos are my weak points, I'd love to jack them in....or at least replace them with a good hard fartlek session. No such luck. He reckons that yes, you do have to focus on your training strengths but you also have to give your weaknesses that extra bit of attention too. Bah. He also suggested that I would have found looking at my watch on each mile helpful and he's right there but unfortunately, I had no idea where the mile markers were on this lap. So yeah, a *thing* would have been useful. There. I said it.

2k warm down

PM heel drops and knee bends

Wed
    AM heel drops, knee bends, cobras and rear leg lungs
    School run cycle

4 miles recovery effort and pace on road. Tired but not overwhelmingly so. Pace and effort comfortable
    Post run:
    - Myrtl full set. Was conscious of minimising spinal rotation during this and maximising hip effort
    - seven minute strength routine minus side plank, replaced with extra side leg raise set
    - lower back, hip and hamstring stretch yoga routine
    - halo restored

Thur

School run cycle (4.5 miles) plus cycle to park

Key session #2 8x400, full 400 recovery. Objective: speed
    7 miles

Limbers and stand up Myrtl
    2k jog
    Static stretches
    Drills
    Strides
    Drills

8x400m at target mile pace (5:20 so 80 secs per rep)
    Picked a net downhill as this had to be done on greasy wet tarmac in my clunky GTs. Got to give yourself every advantage, eh? The objective was speed anyway so a slight downhill would encourage faster leg turnover in the absence of spikes on a track.
    Nearly binned the session before starting. Full of negative thoughts on warm up. Legs felt sluggish, leaden and quads tight from too much cycling yesterday. Even walking up the stairs this morning was hard work....Gave myself a talking to. What was I worried about? Turns out I was worried about not being able for the session, ie times falling off.

Me: So? If they did? Has that happened before?
    Me: No....
    Me: so that would mean something was up?
    Me: I suppooosssee...
    Me: so get on with it if that's all you're worried about

:rolleyes: *sigh*

Anyway the minute I took off my tights for strides, I felt liberated and decided to get it done. Very stiff on first stride but was much more fluid by the fifth.

Picked an unmeasured/estimated stretch and spot to finish on and said 'take 80 secs to get there'. Took 81. I noticed a marker a bit further on so fixed on that as finish point so next three were around 85 seconds. Next was 87. Bloody dog.
    Last three, I started to relax more and focus on the rep so they went back down to 82 and the last two were 80. It was probably more than 400 but not too much.

1 mile warm down and a lot of cycling for the rest of the day. Legs pretty wrecked but will be able to ease off cycling and running over the next few days in prep for our club's Invitational mile next Tuesday.

Fri
    AM heel drops, knee bends, cobras and rear leg lunges
    School run cycle
    3.7 mi rec run, effort and pace. Tired enough
    Post run:
    - seven minute strength routine
    - complete Myrtl routine
    - truncated yoga routine: down dog, side stretch, pigeon pose, tree pose and a couple of others I don't know the name of

PM heel drops before a few riverside beers while camping with a few friends and our kids.

Sat
    Rest.
    I brought my running gear but more as a security blanket. Both my sprogs ended up in bed with me during the night so did a short yoga routine to loosen out my lower back in the morning.

Sun
    3 miles with strides. Not too bad but not great. Two late nights and more campfire booze last night..... However, legs should be well rested for the mile on Tuesday night. I seem to have been drinking a lot on weekends lately, it has crept back in over the last month. One more social occasion next weekend and another family one in July and that's it until the nationals in August. Cutting out booze in the weeks approaching the road relays really helped so back on the dry soon, so yes anna, the vino is getting parked....

Weekly breakdown
    23.5 miles

5 days running
    2 key sessions
    3 recovery/easy runs, 1 with strides
    0 long run :(
    2 night's camping
    Lots of cargo-biking :eek:
    1 resurrected and polished halo :cool:
    2 many logs to catch up on.... :o

Looking forward to the next block of training now. Should get my schedule on Tuesday now coachy is back from his skiving well-deserved and earned holiday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

There'll be no stopping you now...

*don't do it!!!! :)

annapr wrote: »

*don't do it!!!! :)

Heehee. Don't go setting up any drinkie dates in August ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Me: So? If they did? Has that happened before?
    Me: No....
    Me: so that would mean something was up?
    Me: I suppooosssee...
    Me: so get on with it if that's all you're worried about

Glad to see I'm not the only one having these conversations with myself :D. Maybe it's a WTF thing ? We have a thang ! That's so cool.
    One more social occasion next weekend and another family one in July and that's it until the nationals in August. Cutting out booze in the weeks approaching the road relays really helped so back on the dry soon, so yes anna, the vino is getting parked....

:eek: I have an unfortunately scheduled sorta milestone birthday in August. But I should have sobered up by Nationals. Hic! :rolleyes:

Glad to see I'm not the only one having these conversations with myself :D. Maybe it's a WTF thing ? We have a thang ! That's so cool.

:eek: I have an unfortunately scheduled sorta milestone birthday in August. But I should have sobered up by Nationals. Hic! :rolleyes:

Read the following and weep ;) (skip to the end...)

Running log week beg Mon 20 June 2016

Mon
    Rest

Tue
    AM/late morning 2 miles easy,
    just to remind the legs what moving faster than a walk is....

PM Bray Runners Invitational Mile, Charlesland, Greystones
    3rd 5:38.2

Thoughts: not good at all. Made several mistakes but have learned from them. Didn't commit to the front runner, in fact I told myself she was too good for me :mad: and left myself in no man's land. In the last lap, I didn't look over my shoulder which allowed me to be caught completely unawares in the finishing straight. I actually lost sleep over this that night.... :rolleyes:

Hip tight

Wed
    35 min rec run.
    Wanted to extend it to 45 but had promised kiddies wouldn't be too long....like they know the difference between 35 and 45 mins.... :rolleyes:

Thur
    Heel drops and knee bends on waking
    School run cycle followed by
    1 hour easy, 4 on grass, 3 on road. Ok. Quite comfortable. Hip nagging slightly towards the end and and later in the day. Plantar/arch on both feet nagging more frequently too. Rolled them out and stretched as well as heel drops. Need to keep on top of this.

Fri
    Key session #2 6x800m @5k pace with 200/2min rec
    . Focus: endurance
    1-4 all 3 mins kn the dot (2:59:xx-3:01) 5-6 2:56
    On grassy half mile loop, tussocky but firm underfoot.

Coachy reckons my 5k pace should be 19 mins. I hope he's right, must ask if we can put that to the test soon. From today, it will hurt :eek:

Calculator gave me 3:01 or something ridiculous like that based on 19 mins for 5k

Hip seized up badly after the session. Thai message tomorrow.

1 mile shuffle jog and walk.

Sat
    40 mins @7:30am
    :cool: go me :eek: (after late night and more alcohol
    Followed by trip to coachy's to discuss racing schedule over the next 6-7 weeks and then a Thai massage. Apparently every muscle in my body is tight, even my forearms....Wasn't really surprised tbh but hip has eased out beautifully....

Unfortunately my feet have not :( .....my arches, especially the right one, have been far too tight in the last few days. Hopefully lack of sleep and dehydration are the easily fixed causes. I have also raised the seat on my bike too.

Sun:
    1 hour easy on grass
    Did not enjoy this at all but completely my fault. A (non running) friend is staying and I have allowed myself to be talked into too many late nights chatting and opening bottles of wine this week. That was my farewell to alcohol for the next seven weeks and hello to early nights.

Weekly breakdown:
    1 crap race
    1 session of redemption
    2 much alcohol but
    1 clean slate with
    7 weeks to go

Quick update: it's been a frustrating couple of weeks where I feel like I have been going backwards, despite feeling in the best shape I've ever been in.

Alarm bells started going off in the invitational mile a couple of weeks ago. I put the 'poor' 5:38 down to a couple of bad judgement calls. Another - worse - 5:42 follwed last week and I had to seriously sit myself down and talk to myself. I felt in proper sub 5:20 form on Sunday.

I am physically very, very fit - for me, that is :) I have made a few tactical errors - a learning curve - but in these last two races, I have been running my poor heart out and not getting the bang for my buck: loss of form and loss of power.

There remains a question mark over my ongoing hip niggle. An observation from Beep Beep that my form deteriorated badly in the 5:38 performance prompted me to explore this route further. I remembered another session - the 2x2 mile tempo on grass we did a month or so ago. Again, a clubmate observed that my form deserted me badly on the last rep and my hip seized up so badly I could barely shuffle jog home. This happened again after the 6x800s a week or so ago, despite steaming the session.

The hip is the underlying factor and after Sunday's mile, it has stopped me running. It's not too sore to walk but there feels like too much inflammation to run. The bike is also a major suspect.

So no running this week...and no bike. My clubmate (who works in the bike trade) remarked that the vintage-style saddle is far too wide. Effectively, it splits your pelvis and he would never have sold it to someone who intends to cycle a lot.

I'll start to run on Monday and gradually reintroduce the bike with a narrower saddle fitted. I'm also booked in for an x ray later this month to rule things out, especially in light of my infant hip thingy.

All is not lost. I'm calling it a step back week ;)

• Advertisement

Running log week beg 11 July 2016

Post niggle rest:

Mon 40 mins at a good clip. Whoops. Felt good and fresh. What can you do....?
    Stand up Myrtl and limbering prior. Gentle stretching post run.
    Cold shower after.....

Tue
    53 mins/7 miles :eek: with 6x100m strides.
    Am flying but hip is 'there' and limiting extension and propulsion. Ice bath after. Nerve pain now.

Wed
    Rest

Thur 65 mins with 6x100m strides on concrete, grass and tarmac. Again flying and feel strong but hip is limiting power, extension and form. Quite achy post run and more nerve pain. Cold shower on area immediately post-run.

Physio and massage to book....

Thur
    Hmmmm can't remember. Maybe 30 mins

Fri
    1.25mi to and from physio.

We *may* have got to the root of it. My hip mobility is good - too good - so my stabilising muscles have been working too hard to keep everything, well, stable. When fatigue sets in, everything collapses which is exactly what I have been feeling.
    No more Myrtl routine as that is the complete opposite of what I need! I will keep the side and forward leg swings tho as they loosen my adductors and hip flexors.

We will start an intensive strengthening programme in September but for now, basic maintenance is:
    Heel drops
    Knee bends
    Single calf raises
    Cobras
    Rear leg lunge dips
    Side itb/piriformis stretch and
    ---- ehm, forget :o....something else.....
    Oh yeah, squats.

Sat
    7 miles with strides. Flying.

Sun
    4.25mi. Flying

Mon
    Introductory Key session #1 8x100m with full recovery/walk back. Not timed and in racing flats on tarmac.

Short and simple warm up: all over limbers followed by 20 mins v easy incl last km of pick ups and strides. Hot and not very fluid starting off but got better as warm up progressed.

I cannot say how much I enjoyed this session. I felt strong and powerful with good form, fast stride and just well, strong. A man I sort of know commented that I was 'making it look easy', well you can't help but smile, can you?

There was a reasonable amount of footfall on the path so did a quick about turn after #7 to avoid quite a few people I saw approaching out of the corner of my eye. On my walk back, I saw it was a group of teenagers from about 11-14 years old and braced myself for some 'impress your mates comments at the expense of an aul wan'. One young guy said something I didn't quite catch like 'do you know how fast you were?' To which I articulately replied 'huh?'. 'You're really fast aren't you?' He said. To which I sparklingly replied 'am I?' And got an emphatic 'yeah' for my troubles. He didn't even say 'for an auld wan'. How easily days are made when you are over 40.

Anyway, it was a buzz to be giving it welly once more.

Easy warm down followed by icing the bum and hip and feet.

Nicely wrecked after and still buzzing later that evening ;)

Tue
    Recovery can't remember, may have rested or 35 mins. Mileage not important at this stage, focus is on full recovery between sessions.

Wed
    Same as above. One or both of the days was definitely 35-40 mins

Thur, am
    Key session #2: 8x200m on tarmac,
    middle section slightly downhill, all on long curve; measured earlier that year. In racing flats.
    Long jog warm up to park incl strides.

1st 200 to measure out stretch wasn't promising as left hip and bum v tight but the 38/39 seconds it took felt v comfortable. A few leg swings sorted it out, I felt the actual release and no bother for the rest of the session. Form and power all felt good on this although I didn't push for top speed until the last two so as not to aggravate things unnecessarily.

38/39, 36, 36, 36, 36, 35, 34, 34. All handtimed and not to exact nth second but you get the picture, they were consistent enough.

Deep tissue massage after. Ouch ouch ouch, that is all I can say about that. I think I lost 3lbs in sweat alone. Hamstring (left) has been very tight so a lot of the focus was in that area.

Fri eve
    3.25m
    i v easy. Hammie, bum and hip loose. Legs still v tired so cut a planned 40-45 mins short. Glad I did.

Sat am
    4 miles easy, legs a bit more bouncy, seem to have recovered some more. Bum and hip still tender, could be residual tenderness from massage....(or cycle with kids, sssh) Popped two ibuprofen before bed :o

Sun am
    Key session #3
    800m tt followed by good recovery (10 mins) and 1x400m, 1x300m and 1x200m

I was really looking forward to this session. It was quite an important one to assess where I am at the moment after a couple of weeks interrupted training.

When coachy said to do the 800 at race pace (2:40 800m = 5:20 mile pace), I was quite disappointed as I really wanted to get my teeth into this. Later he said I could go faster, yay and then gave me permission to give it some welly, more yays.

The other stuff was to be done at slightly faster than race pace but to pull out if times were falling off as the 800m was the biggie. I was under strict instructions to keep it even, no 70/80 pacing :eek:

I contemplated sending out an sos for pacers but decided against. The last thing I wanted to do was ask someone to commit to pacing this only for me to pull out cos hip wasn't going to behave. As it turned out, all fluidity etc was there on the warm up and no significant twinges, especially on the strides which felt good and powerful. We think the bike has acted as a strength training block so will be incorporating that more mindfully into the next training block.

Track was deserted except for a solitary runner doing laps until 10k, fair play. Not my idea of a nice 10k but he got through it cheerfully enough!

First lap was snappy enough, up on my toes but keeping coachy's instructions in my head, maybe ever so slightly conservative. Not a bad thing, this was my first 800m 'race' in ohhhh....a quarter of a century! A quick glance showed me 75.xx and it must have been pinching cos I told myself
    'only another minute'
    'that's a big fat lie' I said back to myself
    'I know, but work with me, if I tell you the seconds too, you might rebel'
    'ok'

Felt a big pinch going up the back straight, where there was also a head/cross wind but managed to rev up again at 200m and relax enough to not slow down significantly in the final straight to cross the line in 2:32.3 (75, 77) Yay and yay.

Very pleased with that. If I'm completely honest, I would have loved a sub 2:30 but for a solo effort, I am going to take that and wrap it up in gratitude, thank you, body :cool:

10 min rec where I jogged and walked 900m or so and did some stretches. Legs were still a bit wobbly but I had the safety net of pulling the session if paces were significantly over 80 sec/400m pace

Hmmm. I knew it was snappy cos I was up on my toes again but thought the effort was because I was tired from the 800m. Not that it was an all-out effort, I felt tired but also strong and relaxed but the time came in at 73:xx. Oops, coachy will have words to say, I thought. This prompted me to ask myself if I could have started more aggressively in the 800m but overall am happy with the way today went. Next time ;)

Walked and jogged 400m - mostly walked - and worked out where I thought 300 start was. Not entirely sure I got it right. Upped the cadence and came in at 54.5. Same recovery and the 200 came in at 33.4

Short jog warm down

Really happy and satisfied with this week's work. There have been moments over the last few weeks where I have been really frustrated at progress in this block. My hip and butt problem has not gone away and I still don't know if I am doing the right thing by 'managing' it. Should I pull this training block and say goodbye to the nationals two years in a row?
    Possibly, but without having got to the bottom (bad pun alert) of it, I am going to mindfully proceed as far as I can until I am physically unable to. I feel that I am possibly in the best middle distance shape I have ever been as a master and want to give myself the chance to manifest this in racing conditions, sometime this season.

Weekly breakdown
    No idea of mileage as focus is on quality:

3 key sessions incl 800m time trial
    2/3 recovery runs of up to 40 mins
    1 deep deep tissue massage :eek: :eek:
    Quite a few good nights' sleep :cool:
    3 craft beers
    A few more pils/beers. It's been so sunny, what can I say?
    4 weeks to nationals
    1 satisfied runner

All the maintenance stuff done. I think I have done enough but best way to support that extravagant claim is by logging it, so back to logging 'stuff' this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Love reading your sesson reports DG always full of info! Happy to hear you might have gotten to the bottom of the hip/butt issue and best of luck sorting it out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great update. Love the awe and admiration from the teenagers instead of the anticipated smart comment :D. Maybe you've inspired them now!

Hope you get less gyp out of the hip as the days and weeks go on so you're in tip top shape for the Nats.

spaceylou wrote: »
    Love reading your sesson reports DG always full of info! Happy to hear you might have gotten to the bottom of the hip/butt issue and best of luck sorting it out. :D
    Thanks spaceylou! If anything at all helps, I'm happy...even if it boils down to 'don't do things that way'! :eek:
    Great update. Love the awe and admiration from the teenagers instead of the anticipated smart comment :D. Maybe you've inspired them now!

Hope you get less gyp out of the hip as the days and weeks go on so you're in tip top shape for the Nats.
    Thanks BG. Wouldn't quite go so far as awe and admiration...I was just pleased with my reprieve :D

And thanks both for the hip n butt wishes. Gyppie hip, eh? Well and truly an aul wan now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Really happy and satisfied with this week's work.

This is the line that stood out for me, great, delighted, you deserve that - glad to see you continuing onwards until something or someone says otherwise.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I don't understand it but it looks like a great fortnight's work. :)

This is the line that stood out for me, great, delighted, you deserve that - glad to see you continuing onwards until something or someone says otherwise.. :)
    Thanks FD, cautiously optimistic, especially now that I seem to be beginning to get the hang of self-trigger release with a cruel little yellow ball :eek:
    Murph_D wrote: »
    I don't understand it but it looks like a great fortnight's work. :)
    haha thanks Murph, you only comprende long hand?! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck at Le Chèile tomorrow.

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck at Le Chèile tomorrow.

Thanks tang :) Butterflies are starting! Can I use this as an opportunity to get the sandbagging done: sleepless night, hip twinging slightly, aunty flo here and ehmmm...oh yeah, I am going to be slaughtered. Think that does it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck DG :)

Advertisement