Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Oh and great to know all that cargo hauling over the weekend didn't do any harm. Might go back to the cute and clunky model now.....

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done ! See, I wasn't far off with my sub 5 was I :D ? That is seriously fast going.

Only 6-10 months :D:D
    And Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ps too fecked to write about it tonight. Basically it went:

First 200m: really? REALLY? Wtf
    Next: I can't do this
    Next: yes you can
    Relax, focus
    Relax, focus
    Blur
    Blur
    Blur

Nearly took you longer to write that than to run the mile :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Only 6-10 months :D:D
    And Thanks :)
    6-10 months is a wild ass guess. Pacing wasn't perfect (first 200-300m was a bit fast (but as sprinters like to point out, it's good to go out hard as you get the first bit of speed for free!), there's obviously zero net change in elevation - but lots of undulating rises and drops, a competitive race environment would yield a faster time, and of course various distractions (dogs and grannies!). So I reckon you could get a good chunk of change for free, just running on the track. Then another 15 seconds of speed/endurance improvement and you're ready. But then you and coachie know best!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Deffo! Done. Except my school run isn't 22km so....(that was the journey from bike shop to home...)

The X3 should be fine then.....nice run there this eve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Ps too fecked to write about it tonight. Basically it went:

First 200m: really? REALLY? Wtf
    Relax, focus
    Relax, focus
    Blur
    Blur
    Blur

From my point of view it went:

I can't believe I am lining up just behind A (and pacer).
    I can't believe I am running only 10 meters behind A (and pacer).
    I can't believe I am somehow keeping A (and pacer) in sight.
    <A (and pacer) disappear from sight>
    You see, no way you can keep up with A (let alone pacer).
    Blur.
    Blur.
    More blur.
    Dry retching.
    I can't believe A just ran such a fast mile and is smiling and laughing away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Fantastic A! Great summer of pb's ahead for you! Would love to see what damage you could do to your 5k time after tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I hope no-one looks at Krusty's Strava where the run is boldly described as a 1.5k effort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming on top of a recent jaunt where he ran on water for 400 metres according to Garmin, I'd definitely be looking for a track next time.

Congrats in any case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Super Time DG a garmin link on your thread I never thought I'd see the day !!! Well done :)

Itziger wrote: »
    I hope no-one looks at Krusty's Strava where the run is boldly described as a 1.5k effort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming on top of a recent jaunt where he ran on water for 400 metres according to Garmin, I'd definitely be looking for a track next time.

Congrats in any case though.

Doesn't he always?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

annapr wrote: »
    Doesn't he always?

Unfortunately, some of his disciples have trouble following his path. As he said to me (and a few random Corinthians) in the pub once 'Where I am going [clear reference to sub 2:35], you cannot follow'

He was right too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Wow, well done DG, you must be chuffed, that's serious progress.

Eh .... a ridiculously belated Happy Birthday. I've serious catching up to do on way too many logs.

Oh a shiny new bike bike, get it, go go go go and throw in the MTB for yourself to have fun with at weekend while you're at it ;)

I heard a rumour.... Gold?????

I heard a rumour.... Gold?????

Aha. Em yes :) Sorry, real life has been an absolute whirlwind the last two weeks and have not had a chance to pop in here at all. Thank you for nudging me.

Leinster gold today. A slow and tactical race but Oh Em Gee, kicking that last 300 completely rocked.

That's all for now I'm afraid cos am slightly quite piddled doing a Singer as friends called round before I got a chance to eat.

Bit of a boards successful outing too. BG did a double-double, Mulberry may have done a triple, Chivito podiumed and Timmaay just missed out on a medal. Any other boardsies in Tullamore today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Well done DG, some progress over the last year. Flying it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Every right to be Oliver Twist if Gold is being mentioned, huge well done DG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Congrats on the gold!! Wowsers that's awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done DG it's all happening for you right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on the win A, looking forward to reading the race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Well done DG, looking forward to the report!

• Advertisement

diego_b wrote: »

Yes, where is that report DG???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Knock knock

El Caballo wrote: »
    Well done DG, some progress over the last year. Flying it!
    tang1 wrote: »
    Every right to be Oliver Twist if Gold is being mentioned, huge well done DG.
    Congrats on the gold!! Wowsers that's awesome!
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Well done DG it's all happening for you right now :)
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Congrats on the win A, looking forward to reading the race report.
    diego_b wrote: »
    Yes, where is that report DG???
    Knock knock
    Ah thanks everyone! Sorry, things are just mental here atm. Mega update coming right up. You'll be sorry ye asked :D Hint: skip to the end ;)

Ok, in two parts:

log week beg 23 May 2016

Mon
    Rest...
    .well 22km cycle to Goatstown to return trial Babboe. Plenty of long drags including from Cornelscourt up to Foxrock church. We (me and the 3yo "are we there yet??") turned left up Fosters - oh *happy* memories - and spotted a runner slightly ahead.
    Oh the competitiveness kicked in :rolleyes: 'will I get him?' ... 'Long way to go Ash, steady now' ... 'Ok, you're right, easy now' but nevertheless, we passed him at the junction to Clonskeagh or thereabouts where a few mutual words of encouragement were exchanged. He sounded very like you, Murph, and I did a double take as he was around the same age but his running style was v different.

Anyway, the fecker got me coming up to Mt Anville, but not surprising as I was wondering if I would even be able to cycle at this stage! His words then made me grin as they showed exactly what I had been thinking earlier....he got me :D We cycled/ran and chatted (breathlessly) together until just before the summit where I pulled away again. Hah!

But seriously, don't you just love the running community :) :cool:

Made sure to stay off the feet as much as poss for the rest of the day.

Heel drops and knee bends before bed.

Tue
    Heel drops and knee bends on waking. Can't remember if I did anything else....

PM:
    1 mile Summer Time Trial Series
    in local park, organised by our club/Beep Beep
    PB (adult) 5:24.5

Started to warm up a bit too early for this, 1 hour before. The evening was so warm I could have left it til 45 mins. Only did < 15 mins v easy jogging followed by short hold stretching and Stand up Myrtl routine. Then did some drills and strides (bum hurt so pulled back on these) then more drills.

It was quite reassuring to read KC write that the initial pace was slightly too fast. I thought I just wasn't able for it! :eek: In a way, it simulated the pattern of a race and I seem to remember KC interjecting some bursts here and there too. Kept me awake anyway!
    I heard him call something about '5 seconds' half way round but had no idea whether it was +/- 5....although I suspected it was plus.

Just after the half way mark we passed a clubmate. It hurt but it was worth it ;)

Up the slight incline after the km mark and around the corner down the slight slope to the finish. I can't remember much except S advising me to drop my shoulders and telling myself to flick my feet, something Emil Zatopek used to do to increase speed. Everything hurt and I had no idea afterwards if KC had 'let' me pass him but as it turns out he did. Happy days, being let beat Krusty. Hah.

Ice bucket for feet, glass of red, hot bath and knee bends and heel drops before bed.

Day #1 of late nights and wine Wed
    AM
    - heel drops and knee bends on waking
    - 20 min yoga sequence focusing on lower back, hips and hamstring as lower back
    very tight all across (usually just right hand side) after yesterday's exertions
    - usual sequence of push/pull, dynamic pigeon pose, hip stretch, adductor, cobra and childs pose

45 mins v easy run
    Stretching after

PM no heel drops or owt. There was wine involved. Last time I did heel drops with wine it nearly ended in tears. The stairs'.

Day #2 of late nights and wine Thur
    Heel drops and wobbly knee bends.
    6x200m on grass

Day #3 of late nights and wine Fri
    PM 25 mins rec. (Killruddery day)

Day #4 of late nights and wine Sat
    12 miles v easy followed by 12 mile cycle in bike and 10 miles walking....

Sun
    60 mins v easy mostly on grass with nop. All the drinking and late nights caught up with me with a ginormous crash but nop helped take the pain away, thank you!!

Weekly breakdown ca 37 miles incl
    1 race/TT
    1 speed session
    1 lsr
    1 mlr
    2 rec runs
    2 much wine

Not enough sleep or maintenance etc in second half of the week. I knew this was going to take a hit and factored this in. Back on track this week......

Mon 30 May
    Rest....ish. 12 mile cycle to return other trial cargo bike and 12 mile cycle home with original trial bike while am waiting for order on this baby to arrive.

388170.jpg

Is this my mid life crisis manifesting????

Saw the same runner from last week on the dual carriageway and swapped hellos again :)

No. Heel. Drops :eek:

Tue
    Heel drops, knee bends, rear leg lunges and cobras on waking.

Wrecked by the end of today:
    Cycle with kids to school, cycle back to granny's to pick up forgotten teddy for teddy bears' picnic....cycle back home for brunch meeting with two strangers I needed to impress, cycle to park for session, cycle to both school/preschool pick ups, cycle home but on the way home stop off in local park playground....contemplated jogging or cycling to meeting later in the evening but good sense - actually all over fatigue - got the better of me.

Ftr, sesssion was:
    8x200m @ race pace with 200 jog back rec
    Did these on grass so no idea how near 200 they were (used same stretch as last week), approximated and all were consistent. Could have done another two if I hadn't caned the last two :D Felt good on these, controlled and strong.

WARM UP
    - limbering and stand up myrtle first to shake cycle out of legs
    - 12 min gentle jogging. Only 12 because of cycling and heat (this was midday)
    - short hold stretching of all muscle groups (calves, hip, hamstrings, bum etc. is bum a muscle group?!)
    - 4/5 x 80m strides
    - Short sequence of drills (running behind schedule for school pick up :eek: )

SESSION: started at 34/35/34 etc then down to 34-33-32

WARM DOWN very short, less than 800m but plenty of slow cargo cycling after :rolleyes: Today was an exceptionally hectic day and there won't be too many like that hopefully.

Wed
    Recovery run. Physio session too. Can't remember what I did....

Thur
    Tune up session 6x100m. Ideally, would have done these on the track but was clean out of time. Ever get the feeling someone was putting your life on ffwd??

Warm up as above but shortened because of heat, lack of time and cycle on bike to park.

Keeping coachy's "power and explosiveness" in mind, I motored on these and got up to top speed with only very minor complaints from the hip. I even flirted with accusations of sprinterishness by ambling v v slowly back to the start of each one. Yes, ambling.....

V short warm down and cycle home with kids after.

May have done some 'work' that evening but I suspect not. Oh yes, had lots of kiddies and mammies around for play date and one of them, a qualified masseuse, stayed on and gave me a deep enough massage in light of forthcoming race. That counts as 'work', right?? Heel drops etc definitely done. All attempts to get to bed early this week failed miserably so far. I can be my own worst enemy.

Friday
    V brief jog down to physio and back to have back retaped after massage and checked out tape over hip flexor area. I can feel the back tape tingling but not sure if this area is 'doing' anything. Saddle is a bit low on bike and is probably contributing to tightness there.
    Tried to claw back some sleep credit.

Sat
    The preceding days and this weekend are a bit of a blur.
    Lack of sleep since that four drunken nights and 6yo birthday prep and life etc all caught up. Wrecked.com and after party, jettisoned all thoughts of going for a pre-race jog and strides. This didn't sit comfortably with me tbh but I was that tired, I knew it would have been counter-productive so had a glass of wine instead and got to bed reasonably earlier.

All heel drops and knee bends done this week, am and pm. Ok, 97% of the time. I think I missed one. Am also adding rear leg lunges and cobras to this immoveable routine. I should incorporate the pigeon and tree poses too because they really help my piriformis and back but...Baby steps.

Sun
    Had coffee and went out for 10-12 min shuffle jog and 3 short and easy 70m strides. Didn't like the idea of not having run since thursday.

Got my stuff together and hitched a lift with Timmaay to Tullamore for the Leinster Masters T&F 1500m

Lots of interesting chat on the way down and kept the nerves quietly buzzing in the background. Felt the 'sleep buzz' come on at one stage but shook myself out of it as too early. Anyone else get this? The stage just before warm up etc and entering 'the zone', you get an urge to close your eyes and doze? When you come out of it, after just a few minutes, you're well on the way to 'the zone'?

Got there, oriented myself, tried to find BG, no luck until got a text. Before that, walked around the track to loosen the legs, kept an eye on how far behind schedule things were and then sat in the stands. Did a real doze here for 5 mins or so and came out of it buzzing and relaxed.

After chatting with Timmaay about the likelihood of the 15 starting early (very possible if they catch up quickly), I made the executive decision to warm up possibly too early rather than be rushed.

Waaaaaay too early as it turned out. I started a shuffle jog at 2:20 (scheduled start 3:15) for 10-12 mins and felt the effects of the heat. I kept Ronnie Delany's words in my head 'conserve every ounce of energy for the race). Following a walk back to the track, I grabbed my spikes and drink. In a moment of inspiration, I put an eloctrolyte tab in my water bottle and sipped this for the next 1.5 hours or so before the start.

Finished off my warm up at a verree leisurely pace: limbers, static stretches, longer strides, more stretching and drills, shorter, faster strides, Myrtl and sitting down, keeping the muscles relaxed.

The wait went on far longer than expected so every now and then I stood up to do a 30m stride or butt kick/high knee but mostly focused on staying relaxed etc. Luckily the day was so warm, I didn't need to worry much about the early warm up.

BG crossing the track heralded the imminent start and we all lined up knowing who was in what category. Karla Doran, the single - and v speedy - senior was downgraded to a single race of combined senior and masters.

THE PLAN

1 The plan was a medal
    2 the instructions were to sit in, cover any breaks and kick on the last lap
    3 the objective was a medal, not a time
    4 the extra outcomes could have been a PB and/or a championship record. The CR is 5 mins flat and I knew I was in sub 5 shape but see no.s 1 and 3 :rolleyes:

With that in mind, I knew having Karla in the race was a game changer but only a small one. If Niamh Fitzgerald (o/40) from Lucan or Jackie Carty (o/45) had lined up, we would have had a fast and competitive race too.

Off we went and I found myself in third behind Karla and a magnificent o/50 athlete. Pace was pacey enough but manageable. Between 100 and 200m I made another executive decision. I glanced over my shoulder (I know!) and slowed until the chasing pack caught up. I reminded myself that the main goal was a medal, not heroics in the heat. My championship competitors were in the chasing group, not ahead of me. It was a hard decision to make but I am really glad I made it.
    There was a very real danger I could have faded badly in the heat and in no man's land, an attritional experience compared to the absolutely, amazing positive experience I had.

There were no lap splits that I could hear and no watch - obvs ;) - so I sat in and ran. And focused. And ran. It felt great. I let MC and EL? take on the pace and sat in behind them. That was difficult. I wanted to push on, I was impatient. At one stage I had an elbow tussle with EL but gave it up as unimportant.
    A brief systems check told me I was working hard enough but feeling very comfortable. MC started to surge after 500m and I had a brief moment of elation when I realised I was in control and feeling strong.

The bell went and our little group had an electric surge and upped the tempo again. With 300 to go - a little early but I couldn't hold back any longer :o - I moved in to lane 2 and moved past, not kicking properly until just before 250. Oh ye goddesses this felt so good. I knew I had it, I can't ever remember feeling this strong at the end of a race. No pain, no straining, just staying relaxed until a thigh burn in the last 10m. I loved it :)

Objective achieved :cool:

I saw Karla's and the other athlete's times in the results and had a brief moment of regret that I hadn't gone with them. Oh yeah, my time was 5:17.xx Then BG slapped some sense into me (not really). No regrets, a far more valuable lesson was learned today.

On reflection, I feel that the last mile TT and Sunday's 1500 are two quite significant blocks in the build towards the nationals. The TT was a killer, from 200m out. KC's observation that the first 200 was a bit too fast was actually quite comforting. I had thought I just wasn't able for that sort of pace :eek: In many ways, it mimicked an actual race situation but had the added benefit of the emphasis being on time and a fast leg turnover throughout.

Sunday's race honed a different skill set: racing a race and being dictated by place, not pace. So now the aim over the next two months is to hone these two skills some more and marry them together for 'the main thing' in the nationals.

Great to meet Timmaay and Mulberry and to say hi to BG and chivito. Congrats on the medals and PBs, and to the other boardsies I missed.

Weekly breakdown:
    No idea how many miles I did and really can't be assed to count.
    Lots of cycling
    Two short sessions
    One race
    One championship gold :cool:
    A good bit of other stuff done too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done A, you'll have to get a vault put in for all the gold your collecting,
    really reaping rewards from all the dedication.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done A, you'll have to get a vault put in for all the gold your collecting,
    really reaping rewards from all the dedication.

Thanks G. Sorry to hear things were a bit miserable for you. Will pop in to your log tomorrow but right now, I am going to be my own best friend and have an early night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great stuff, DG, and glad you know you ran a great race. Can't get any better than gold after all now, can ya :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Mon 30 May
    Felt the 'sleep buzz' come on at one stage but shook myself out of it as too early. Anyone else get this?

Weekly breakdown:
    No idea how many miles I did and really can't be assed to count.
    Lots of cycling
    Two short sessions
    One race
    One championship gold :cool:
    A good bit of other stuff done too.

Absolutely, 3pm most days :D

WHOOP WHOOP, you did it (again) girl, I know you've gone to bed (gold medal for that) but I had to tell you you Rock xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Well done A. Absolutely fantastic stuff (but that's quickly becoming the norm here :D)

Congratulations on the bling

Advertisement