Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titleist 915

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Hit both the 915 and Big Bertha Alpha today in a shop.

915 felt lovely but according to the Trackman thingy I was hitting the BB further with similar spin and swing speed as the 915.

That's my mind made up anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lance Murdock

Was that in a shop or with a pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Axel Lamp wrote: »

915 felt lovely but according to the Trackman thingy I was hitting the BB further with similar spin and swing speed as the 915.

That's my mind made up anyway

The new BB 815 looks stunning, giving it a we smack during the week, although I don't overly love the look of the 915, I'm squeezing a little bit more out of it, than my current RBZ s2, and it feels pretty solid. The BB 815 will want to be pretty decent to change my Santa List...........oh....RBZ S2 for sale.........watch this space for a 915 or BB 815 in about 2 months.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Im booked in wednesday for a fitting, had them im my hand for the first time today, love the look of the 3 wood, i wana try the 16.5 degree. if things work out i ll pull the trigger on the driver right away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Was that in a shop or with a pro?

Shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I'm really not an expert on clubs but I think it's pure madness spending that on a driver. Like, while I can't say for sure, they haven't re-invented the wheel or anything, how can it be that much better than say the 913? You can probably buy that for under 200 now. The 910 was another great club and you could probably get that for around 100.

Also when you just go in and buy a club off the shelf you don't really know how well it suits you in terms of shaft etc. much better investment to buy a cheaper new driver and get it fitted to you exactly or else go for the fitting and have the pro recommend a few shafts that would suit and then keep an eye out for clubs with that shaft in the second hand market.

I just refuse to believe these clubs can be that much better than what was out there say 2 years ago. But having the proper club fitted to your swing can make a difference.

In my opinion it's a far better investment to get a driver and shaft combo that actually suits you for around 200 than to spend double that on the newest, fanciest club picked straight from the shelf.

If you must insist on spending 400 I'd still go for the 200 club and spend the balance on lessons and range sessions so you can learn how to hit the thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I'm really not an expert on clubs but I think it's pure madness spending that on a driver. Like, while I can't say for sure, they haven't re-invented the wheel or anything, how can it be that much better than say the 913? You can probably buy that for under 200 now. The 910 was another great club and you could probably get that for around 100.

Also when you just go in and buy a club off the shelf you don't really know how well it suits you in terms of shaft etc. much better investment to buy a cheaper new driver and get it fitted to you exactly or else go for the fitting and have the pro recommend a few shafts that would suit and then keep an eye out for clubs with that shaft in the second hand market.

I just refuse to believe these clubs can be that much better than what was out there say 2 years ago. But having the proper club fitted to your swing can make a difference.

In my opinion it's a far better investment to get a driver and shaft combo that actually suits you for around 200 than to spend double that on the newest, fanciest club picked straight from the shelf.

If you must insist on spending 400 I'd still go for the 200 club and spend the balance on lessons and range sessions so you can learn how to hit the thing!

I don't think many of the lads are talking about spending 400 quid buying off the shelf - personally, I'll be fitted at Carton House on Trackman. If there's not a huge difference between my current driver and the 915 then I'll save my money to buy the fairways and hybrids.

Out of interest, how would you get a combo that you know fits you for 200 quid without getting properly fitted??

I'd also say that hitting in a shop's machine into a net is not the same as fitting with Trackman on a range - world's apart IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I don't think many of the lads are talking about spending 400 quid buying off the shelf - personally, I'll be fitted at Carton House on Trackman. If there's not a huge difference between my current driver and the 915 then I'll save my money to buy the fairways and hybrids.

Out of interest, how would you get a combo that you know fits you for 200 quid without getting properly fitted??

I'd also say that hitting in a shop's machine into a net is not the same as fitting with Trackman on a range - world's apart IMHO.

With the exact same process as I got irons fitted a year or 2 ago. Went to get fitted by a pro, he had me try out various shafts etc and had the various data there as regards swing speed and lie, and all that other stuff. He picked 2 or 3 shafts that would suit and said he'd call me when a suitable second hand set came into his shop, maybe a week later he called and said there was a set that would suit. Sin e. Don't see why the same process wouldn't work for a driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Would you not think that getting a fitting with range balls is inaccurate too?
    Granted you can't really use real balls on a range.
    I wonder would fore golf let you try out the combo that suited you on the golf course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Range balls can be a disaster. Trying out something new on range the other night and balls behaving really weird in air
    Fine on course. When the dimples start to wear down due to washing you can't trust them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Axel Lamp wrote: »

If you can, best get another fitting/demo at a range where you can see the ball flight. Depending on the shop, they may not have Flightscope or Trackman which use radar. Some shop launch monitors work by capturing images of the ball off the club and make an estimate on the result so not as accurate. I think McGuirks use Flightscope but American Golf don't (might be open to correction on this).

If you can, best get another fitting/demo at a range where you can see the ball flight. Depending on the shop, they may not have Flightscope or Trackman which use radar. Some shop launch monitors work by capturing images of the ball off the club and make an estimate on the result so not as accurate. I think McGuirks use Flightscope but American Golf don't (might be open to correction on this).

Was in AG yesterday and they had a GC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Was in AG yesterday and they had a GC2.

GC2 is what Youtubers Mark Crossfield, Rick Shields etc so must be good.

However, I availed of a free fitting at American Golf (AG) a few months ago as I was thinking of changing the driver. The smash factor was 1.45 for every shot. The fitter explained (spoofed) to me that it was good because it was constant on all the shots. It was actually the same on every shot and I knew that this was not an actual reading but an assumed smash factor number by the computer.
    Therefore, i had no confidence i was hitting the ball out of the center of the club.

I was also recently fitted on Trackman recently and the AG reading on clubhead speed was a few mph higher then Trackman's numbers.

Being fitted indoors and not seeing the ballflight is also a bit disconcerting, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,771 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

With a few months play now.

How are people finding the 915 ?

Versus - 910 or 913

I know - below just a bit of fun.

Perhaps - this is more relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Ended up going for a new G30 - over 100 quid cheaper and negligible difference in performance - only slight grumble would be the noise, very loud

Lads how is the 915 going.

Did hit it a few months ago - but wasn't singing great at time.

May try something - on from a 910, have it 3 years now.
    Just to shake it up and inspire - think the 915 price is nuts to be honest.

Anyone move away from Titleist , how is it going.

Have stayed with A1 setting , think I wanted to know my true flight and not have it altered.

Even great contact with the 910 , always felt dead, hard to put finger on it.

I really like mine. I kind of want to mess around with the settings to see if I can get anymore out of it. I have developed the odd slice but as always that's my fault and not the clubs. I want the 3 wood to match it now. Mad money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Got a 913 myself and love it. Would love to put a 3 wood and 2 hybrid with it but funds dictate

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

Great post. My only minor concern is that if you are spending 200 euro on an old driver with a suitable shaft for you, I'd always be worried that an old club may not be in good enough condition. There could be damage to the shaft that isn't visible to the eye and also with the face of the club.

I bought the 913 and got fitted with it and the fitting process was brilliant and I have driven it really well since I got it. My shaft was an upgrade but I got the shaft and the driver for under €400. I have been using it for 3 years now and it was a brilliant investment. I left with a club, actually a shaft, that I knew was absolutely perfect for me. My driving accuracy for my last 50 rounds is 68.7% (via golfshot).

I was tempted to look at the 915 but I have heard all the experts outlining that they haven't been able to add distance due to the limitations mentioned earlier in this thread. I haven't noticed any accuracy or distance drop since I got the club so I will keep going until maybe the 917.

Again - I'm not seeing too many people with a 915 - how are they are going lads ?

Still are mad money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Again - I'm not seeing too many people with a 915 - how are they are going lads ?

Still are mad money.

I was given the chance to trial a second hand 915 3 wood with an upgrade shaft this weekend so will report back on monday. Wasnt fitted so will be a gamble as to whether the shaft is totally unsuitable or not; will try not to let it influence my overall opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭newport2

Still are mad money.

915d2 driver - all good. A good hit is no further than my 910 was, but hits off-centre definitely go further, quite a bit more forgiving. So average distance increased, but not distance on my good drives. Using same shaft as I had in my 910.

915f 3 wood - great. I love this club. Have it set to 4-wood loft (17.25 I think). Way easier to hit than the 913 I had before.

915 hybrids - nice to complete set, but have to say if I'm honest I don't find them any better than the 910 h.

Didn't buy any of the above new. Got fitted and then waited around for the shafts I wanted to come up. Paid 250 for driver, 120 for 915f and 100 for 915h

Re: the 915 3 wood, tried it on Sat and Sunday.

Quite windy both days so plenty of different shots/ conditions to work with. Seems to go quite low (for me at least) but that may have been the shaft influence (a stiff Miyazaki Indigo). What really was noticeable for me though was the feel, which was totally unlike my 910 5 wood. Shots felt dead coming off the face and I found it quite tricky to work out a decent strike from a very good one.

The clubhead is noticeable bigger than the 910 and the 913 3 woods so maybe that has something to do with it. It's a nice club, a forgiving club, but wouldn't be in a rush to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Must have worked well for you yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Got 913 Early this year and its great

Got 915 Fairway and Hybrid and love them.

The hybrid is the best club ever...Brilliant

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

newport2 wrote: »
    915d2 driver - all good. A good hit is no further than my 910 was, but hits off-centre definitely go further, quite a bit more forgiving. So average distance increased, but not distance on my good drives. Using same shaft as I had in my 910.

915f 3 wood - great. I love this club. Have it set to 4-wood loft (17.25 I think). Way easier to hit than the 913 I had before.

915 hybrids - nice to complete set, but have to say if I'm honest I don't find them any better than the 910 h.

Didn't buy any of the above new. Got fitted and then waited around for the shafts I wanted to come up. Paid 250 for driver, 120 for 915f and 100 for 915h

Did hit one and interesting that the off centre hits were noticably better - but couldn't see much of a difference in distance.

Good idea - didn't know you could use 910 - shafts in it.

As none of the new stock shafts are exaclty the same as the 910 shaft I have.

The weight and CT values are different.

Must have worked well for you yesterday

Took it out of the bag! Raingloves were the key on Tuesday, cant believe I only bought em this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭newport2

Did hit one and interesting that the off centre hits were noticably better - but couldn't see much of a difference in distance.

Good idea - didn't know you could use 910 - shafts in it.

As none of the new stock shafts are exaclty the same as the 910 shaft I have.

The weight and CT values are different.

I got fitted years ago for a shaft which has transitioned through about 3 or 4 drivers now, from Taylormade to Titleist. Never found anything I prefer, it's a Fujikura Rombax 6z08. My 915 came with an Aldila Rogue, which I didn't like. But I knew when I got it I had the option of going back to my old shaft.

The 910, 913 and 915 driver shafts are all interchangable with each other. The 913 and 915 fairway and hybrids are interchangable with each other too, but not with the 910 f&h's.

Well lads - after watching Rick Shields and every bloody You Tube video going and hitting it about 200 times - went and bought a 915 D2 (stiff diamana blue)

Was a sort of birthday present from her and me to me and all in all only cost 300 out of pocket (sold a 3 wood for 50, price 350) ( I say "only") - but held off this long as no way was I hitting 400 + for a driver.

First hole 280+ yards off the bat bang where I aimed - was delighted as an old duck hook at that price would be hard to take.

So I hit 5/7 fairways (1 bad drive hook left), - and you sensed off centre it does feel a much better outcome/straighter and longer.

Will take me time to know the difference - may be very little , but you would imagine there has to be something to slot/ARC technology ? It certainly seems to be a leap in technology for Titleist, but they say that every time.

So happy out - home course and time will tell - feels great , loud. but knew that from reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Well lads - after watching Rick Shields and every bloody You Tube video going and hitting it about 200 times - went and bought a 915 D2 (stiff diamana blue)

Was a sort of birthday present from her and me to me and all in all only cost 300 out of pocket (sold a 3 wood for 50, price 350) ( I say "only") - but held off this long as no way was I hitting 400 + for a driver.

First hole 280+ yards off the bat bang where I aimed - was delighted as an old duck hook at that price would be hard to take.

So I hit 5/7 fairways (1 bad drive hook left), - and you sensed off centre it does feel a much better outcome/straighter and longer.

Will take me time to know the difference - may be very little , but you would imagine there has to be something to slot/ARC technology ? It certainly seems to be a leap in technology for Titleist, but they say that every time.

So happy out - home course and time will tell - feels great , loud. but knew that from reviews.

One of the local pro's always told me titleist were more a players club (less forgivness etc) but he said the 915 is on par with the x2hot, thinks its much better than the 913

Bout time you got it aswell after all your posting :p

Advertisement