Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titleist 915

Options
  • 15-11-2014 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

Anyone gaming a new titleist 915 driver ?

im going to book myself in next week for a driver and 3 wood, i really like the idea of the 16.5' 4 wood. This time round i ll be sticking with stock offerings on the shafts and staying away for custom shafts with foregolf , i couldnt see my stretching to the estimated price tag with FG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

levitronix wrote: »
    Anyone gaming a new titleist 915 driver ?

im going to book myself in next week for a driver and 3 wood, i really like the idea of the 16.5' 4 wood. This time round i ll be sticking with stock offerings on the shafts and staying away for custom shafts with foregolf , i couldnt see my stretching to the estimated price tag with FG

Would u not go and get fitted at Carton House, that's what I'm doing €60 for a woods fitting, driver, fairways and hybrids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

If you're going to be spending around €430 for a driver I'd nearly spend a bit extra and be 100% certain it's got a suitable shaft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

If i swung the club the same 100% of time yeah !!! id spend away
    But at 499 plus another 150-200 for shaft, thats almost 700 for a driver , so we re talking almost 1000 for 3 wood and driver !! not a chance!!
    i play off 5 not plus 5

I will be doing the carton house fitting but i wont be buy any upgrades , i kinda have a feeling that my own driver might still be on the money with the new heads

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

If you have the money you have the money.

I've seen lads buy bikes well over 3000.

Men and their hobbies.

I just don't think the price makes sense when it is just a mass produced club.

I raced for years have a garage full of bikes still, dont need to collect drivers

• Advertisement

If you have the money you have the money.

I've seen lads buy bikes well over 3000.

Men and their hobbies.

I just don't think the price makes sense when it is just a mass produced club.

And the funny things id happily spend the money on a bike because of what you get out of a good bike

levitronix wrote: »
    And the funny things id happily spend the money on a bike because of what you get out of a good bike

Was thinking that too,

I wouldn't underestimate that it is a precision piece of equipment (The Driver) - but there are no moving parts - just when you compare what is involved in manufacturing a high end bike.

But - that is irrelevant - they charge what people will pay.

I just was thinking on this product what is the point - even serious golfer go - you know what, that is actually too expensive.

Is there really a difference in the manufacturing process for below - I doubt it

150 euro

WILC0609-370_370.jpg

Probably sacrilegious to put a Wilson driver in a Titleist thread - but the market has become more and more - lets say pumped - Taylor Made pushed it out there.

Has to be a point you go - it is all a bit daft.

Id say the R&D drives some of the costs, and other brand just borrow the R&D from other manufactures.

But back to the thread anyone got one yet, G30 flew off the shelves when launched

Just as one more aside - then back to feedback on how the club is going.

Obviously Titleist got it right,

But this club must have been on the edge in relation to the rules - I guess that is what they are all trying to do - but look at this section of rules , so it was an interesting design to take on. So , yes serious new direction.

The design, material and/or construction of, or any treatment to, the clubhead (which includes the club face) must not:
    (i) have the effect of a spring which exceeds the limit set forth in the Pendulum Test Protocol on file with The R&A; or
    (ii) incorporate features or technology including, but not limited to, separate springs or spring features, that have the intent of, or the effect of, unduly influencing the clubhead’s spring effect; or
    (iii) unduly influence the movement of the ball.
    Note: (i) above does not apply to putters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Just as one more aside - then back to feedback on how the club is going.

Obviously Titleist got it right,

But this club must have been on the edge in relation to the rules - I guess that is what they are all trying to do - but look at this section of rules , so it was an interesting design to take on. So , yes serious new direction.

The design, material and/or construction of, or any treatment to, the clubhead (which includes the club face) must not:
    (i) have the effect of a spring which exceeds the limit set forth in the Pendulum Test Protocol on file with The R&A; or
    (ii) incorporate features or technology including, but not limited to, separate springs or spring features, that have the intent of, or the effect of, unduly influencing the clubhead’s spring effect; or
    (iii) unduly influence the movement of the ball.
    Note: (i) above does not apply to putters.

was watching crossfield's video on it today with the titleist guys and from what they were saying they had to thicken the middle of the face in order to get it to conforming standards.

They've basically just taken the Adams/TM speed pocket & rebranded it by the look of things. It is a very good looking club though I must say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I think with the current rules and drivers being at the limit of them your not going to see a driver that everyone will hit further or more accurately but some might.

I thought this was a good short read - What it's really like when tour players hit new clubs for the first time

Really though, its all about supply and demand catering to different parts of the market like any product. Titleist are in the group that disdain gimmicky all tech clubs (although the 915 is right up there) while Callaway/Taylormade , while still making some fantastic clubs, cater for those seeking the newest and best. Obviously neither do it exclusively but judging by the forums I read it seems to be the case.

I haven't hit it yet but I will eventually, rick shiels reviews make it seem a solid club and I can imagine it outselling Pings G30 and I'm the look is starting to grow on me.

Let us know how it feels and what your changing from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

They've basically just taken the Adams/TM speed pocket & rebranded it by the look of things. It is a very good looking club though I must say
    AFAIK they was another one before the Nike aswell
    post-1-0-47080700-1316037199_thumb.jpg

Again - TM - using the Adams slot.

TMaeroDriver-847.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Ah Fix.. you must be itching..

Quoting sales blurb is not the way to win this one, just tell her you won it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Rontron, Too much stargazing going on there..

Hit it today - club looks lovely.

Was hard to see ball flight with sky today - so hard to know what it was like.

One thing I noticed was how loud it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Again - TM - using the Adams slot.

TMaeroDriver-847.jpg

Sure Taylormade own Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Didn't taylormade buy Adams just to get the rights to that slot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Hit it today - club looks lovely.

Was hard to see ball flight with sky today - so hard to know what it was like.

One thing I noticed was how loud it was.

Personally I would buy an older version and spend money on a new shaftðŸ˜. But if money is burning a hole in your pocket go for it, if you got a pro fitting they could dull the noise using hot melt.
    I took a SLDR demo driver out for round last summer and wasn't impressed my R11s was straighter and longer but in fairness R11 has a custom shaft

• Advertisement

Personally I would buy an older version and spend money on a new shaftðŸ˜. But if money is burning a hole in your pocket go for it, if you got a pro fitting they could dull the noise using hot melt.
    I took a SLDR demo driver out for round last summer and wasn't impressed my R11s was straighter and longer but in fairness R11 has a custom shaft

Apparently, due to the COG properties of the SLDR it's crucial you get fit for it - supposed to be brilliant when properly fitted and pony(& trap) when not fitted - hence why it is huge on tour but didn't sell that well with lots of 2nd hand in the bargain bins.....

PS - are we starting a book on when Fix ends up buying a 915?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mr Titleist

I just put the 913D2 , 913F and 913h in the bag this year.... and have to say I love them ...Hindsight is a great thing of course and I probably should have waited 8 or 9 months for the 915's..........Definitely woud'nt pay me now to change nor have I the money. I do think that over €450 is scandalous for a driver.. I think I paid €369 for the 913D2 ,, but then again how much longer is it than the 913?? Be interesting to hear any comparisons.

I just put the 913D2 , 913F and 913h in the bag this year.... and have to say I love them ...Hindsight is a great thing of course and I probably should have waited 8 or 9 months for the 915's..........Definitely woud'nt pay me now to change nor have I the money. I do think that over €450 is scandalous for a driver.. I think I paid €369 for the 913D2 ,, but then again how much longer is it than the 913?? Be interesting to hear any comparisons.

Lucky that the new 915 is only €429 then isn't it :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mr Titleist

LoL I just saw that online.... ;)

I guess you could buy 5 prov -s with the 21 euro remaining to actively recoil them into the Irish Sea.

Or go the pub get 5 pints and say - did I just spend over 400 euro on a driver. :p

Hit it again today :D:o

I guess you could buy 5 prov -s with the 21 euro remaining to actively recoil them into the Irish Sea.

Or go the pub get 5 pints and say - did I just spend over 400 euro on a driver. :p

Hit it again today :D:o

Slippery slope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Beside a guy in the range last night who had the 915 Driver. Way too loud for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Beside a guy in the range last night who had the 915 Driver. Way too loud for me

Just shout "You're The Man" every time you hit it. Or my personal favorite "Boom Baby"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Tried it at the weekend. Didn't hit it well in comparison with my 910 so think I'll be leaving me money in me pocket, or maybe going for 913 now they're cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

915 are very nice to look at...i picked up a 3w yesterday and didnt want to put it back, very easy on the eye and lets be honest alot of it comes down to what each person likes themselves,
    Reviews are good so far aswell

Advertisement