Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a gym?

Options
  • 08-01-2013 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hey all,

Wondering if there are any gyms near Gleann Dara? At the moment I am using the Kingfisher in NUIG but they only do membership for a full year which is no good to me so I'm wondernig if there are any closer gyms around where I live. Don't have a car so would need to be walking distance.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ocean fitness in Salthill Hotel.
    NRG in Clyboan Hotel.
    Might be a few more but those two spring to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

There's also the ardilaun which is not too far from you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

See my BA thread on how to blag a two week trial.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056849856

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Thanks, I think some of the hotels might be out of my price range but I'll ring around and see anyway.
    Will try that offer too, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32 _Byron_

Hey, just new here, I wanted to ask could anyone tell me are there any good gyms (good free weight selection) within walking distance from Eyre Square in Galway city.

If anyone knows of one with good membership rates, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Hey there I joined Planet Fitness beside Tesco at the Headford Road last week, Only 25 euro a month and is more or less pay as you go . You can quit at anytime.
    Seems to have a good weights section. It's a little dreary looking but has everything you need. The place stinks though lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Anyone know what's the story with the Dangan sports grounds gym? It closed down before the new year in order to extend the room. I was down there sometime in March, the room extension was more or less complete (just dusty, unclean and empty), but all the equipment was removed and there was no sign of any further work going on there. Anyone have any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Wil Tierney

Looking to get fit. What are the recommendations?? Looking for value for money vs content/results sort of thing.

Thanks in advance.

What type of training would you be interested in?
    Kettlebells/running/martial arts/swimming/spinning/...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Wil Tierney

biko wrote: »
    What type of training would you be interested in?
    Kettlebells/running/martial arts/swimming/spinning/...

Well at the minute all I'm doing is some running. Really what i'm trying to do here is see whats out there and get people's opinions on what got the best results, what was fun, what was the best value for money or worth paying the extra bit for, etc.

Willing to try anything I suppose. Wouldn't know if its for me unless I try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

The Warehouse Gym is a good spot.

Crossfit Galway is also up and running now out in Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Spaniard14

Hello! I am new to this city and I am looking for a Gym where I can take spinning classes. Been practicing this sport for several years and since I came to the city not been able to practice it. Obviously I want to keep the costs down and would like to know where I can take good lessons. I really prefer a good instructor rather good bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Spaniard14 wrote: »
    Hello! I am new to this city and I am looking for a Gym where I can take spinning classes. Been practicing this sport for several years and since I came to the city not been able to practice it. Obviously I want to keep the costs down and would like to know where I can take good lessons. I really prefer a good instructor rather good bikes.

I used to go to spinning classes in the Kingfisher in Renmore, the guy that did them was fantastic. The class was an hour but it flew, defo worth a try if you leave near by

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Hey guys,

Myself and the wife are looking at getting gym membership for the year anywhere around town. Any recommendations,we are looking at the galway bay gym as It is only 250euro for herself as she has a student card.I might try and swing the student price for myself as well? I havent heard much about the gym in galway bay though?

Any other recommendations for couple membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Hey guys,

Myself and the wife are looking at getting gym membership for the year anywhere around town. Any recommendations,we are looking at the galway bay gym as It is only 250euro for herself as she has a student card.I might try and swing the student price for myself as well? I havent heard much about the gym in galway bay though?

Is it the golf club or the hotel?

The hotel

If you're around that area maybe Ardilaun or Clyboan could be contenders. Both has pools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If you're around that area maybe Ardilaun or Clyboan could be contenders. Both has pools.

Biko, do you mean NRG in the Clybaun hotel? That's one of the pricier gyms in town, but you do get 2 locations.

Herself went there as a student and got a good deal. I'm not sure how much but OP can find out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

I inquired a couple of months back. You can join the adrilawn for 3 months and get a 4th free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

NUIG is not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

Notch000 wrote: »
    NUIG is not bad

Yeh its terrible.

Herself went there as a student and got a good deal. I'm not sure how much but OP can find out.
    that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Yeh its terrible.

I don't agree, it is the roomiest in the city of all the ones I've been in. Although far from perfect, they could do with fixing a lot of their aerobic exercise machines, it is pretty good and you are rarely waiting too long for anything. Also has pool and sauna etc.

Parking is one of the main problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hey guys,

I got 4 months gym and swim in the Ardilaun for €160. Its grand and never too busy. Downsides: They could do with updating some equipment and more free weights and for the life of me I can't see why they have a carpet in the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

deisedude wrote: »
    I got 4 months gym and swim in the Ardilaun for €160. Its grand and never too busy. Downsides: They could do with updating some equipment and more free weights and for the life of me I can't see why they have a carpet in the gym

The ardilaun is great apart from the kids swimming lessons during the summer.
    Get a timetable and avoid those times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

How'd you get it for €160? Are you a student? I rang up and got quoted €207

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Tilikum wrote: »
    I rang up and got quoted €207

That was your first mistake anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

Tilikum wrote: »
    How'd you get it for €160? Are you a student? I rang up and got quoted €207

It may have been an offer at the time. Not a student