Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lego Ideas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I say this as I near my completion of the gorgeous Ghostbusters ecto-1 my sister gave me....

Im not sure how I feel about these branded sets. I really am in two minds.

I love Ecto-1. The only custom parts are the panels with the GB logo, and the number plate. I no longer have access to my massive collection of lego I acquired as a kid so don't have the resources to build my own Ecto-1. So having a kit I could build it from was pretty cool.

Im just concerned that having sets with one set in mind, takes away some of the creativity from Lego. Ive been given or bought for myself, some Star Wars sets, and they mostly stayed assembled, gathering dust, with no further fun being had. They are like the dollshouse from Friends(to be looked at not played with).

For the BTTF train, for example, with a lego train, and some space vehicles you could be pretty close to a Lego-designed BTTF train set at possibly half the price. All you would really be missing is a Doc and Marty Mini figure - though I'll admit the minifigs are the icing on the cake.

I suppose my problem is with the Big Bang Theory set(s). Its 4(or 6?) minifigs in an apartment. Its just not as iconic as some of the other sets put forward.

Being considered, I understand is a Ghostbusters HQ. Something I have been considering building myself on foot of my surprise gift. Judging by the picture, theirs is more lifelike than mine might/would be but I wonder what the price tag will be. Im confident I could build a worthy home to Ecto-1 for sub 100 euro. I can imagine GB HQ retailing for 400, based on number of parts, uniqueness, etc.

Also, birds? Really? Buy a basic box of lego. Not a set, but the basic box, and you can create your birds with some imagination. In the digital age, you can copy other peoples MOC's from online. Is there really a need, or a market for Lego Birds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

syklops wrote: »
    I say this as I near my completion of the gorgeous Ghostbusters ecto-1 my sister gave me....

Im not sure how I feel about these branded sets. I really am in two minds.

I love Ecto-1. The only custom parts are the panels with the GB logo, and the number plate. I no longer have access to my massive collection of lego I acquired as a kid so don't have the resources to build my own Ecto-1. So having a kit I could build it from was pretty cool.

Im just concerned that having sets with one set in mind, takes away some of the creativity from Lego. Ive been given or bought for myself, some Star Wars sets, and they mostly stayed assembled, gathering dust, with no further fun being had. They are like the dollshouse from Friends(to be looked at not played with).

For the BTTF train, for example, with a lego train, and some space vehicles you could be pretty close to a Lego-designed BTTF train set at possibly half the price. All you would really be missing is a Doc and Marty Mini figure - though I'll admit the minifigs are the icing on the cake.

I suppose my problem is with the Big Bang Theory set(s). Its 4(or 6?) minifigs in an apartment. Its just not as iconic as some of the other sets put forward.

Being considered, I understand is a Ghostbusters HQ. Something I have been considering building myself on foot of my surprise gift. Judging by the picture, theirs is more lifelike than mine might/would be but I wonder what the price tag will be. Im confident I could build a worthy home to Ecto-1 for sub 100 euro. I can imagine GB HQ retailing for 400, based on number of parts, uniqueness, etc.

Also, birds? Really? Buy a basic box of lego. Not a set, but the basic box, and you can create your birds with some imagination. In the digital age, you can copy other peoples MOC's from online. Is there really a need, or a market for Lego Birds?

Ah I've been trying to find an article I read a while back about the unique pieces in boxes but I can't! To sum up, it essentially said that Lego has always included unique pieces in it's boxes (unless you buy a box of just bricks) and has included as many then as it does now.

I can't see the GB HQ going for €400, sure the Simpsons House is what, €200.

Whatever your opinion on the sets is, they helped Lego a huge amount. Sales of Lego were dwindling before they hit on the brain wave of licensed sets. And you can't say it's not creative for kids to re enact scenes from movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Doesn't add much to op's link, but the BBC did a write up of the story, features a few lines from successful entrants.

www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30030219

So here's the Lego birds (with their designer in the back)

1686425-tom-poulsom-lego-birds.jpg

I'm not too pushed on this one... I'll probably still get it, depending on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Would love the simpsons house but I don't have room and it's far too pricey

• Advertisement

Think the birds look fantastic, my daughter would love making those.

Apart from the ecto1 are there any other ghostbusters sets? No slimer with the ecto makes me sad 😔

Apart from the ecto1 are there any other ghostbusters sets? No slimer with the ecto makes me sad ��

Not at the moment, but the Headquarters is in review

(The original Lego's idea for the car included the HQ too but I think Lego thought it would cost too much so they just included the car and the minifigs)

Just noticed someone else put up a Lego's idea: too little too late. Never going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I really have reservations about the licenced sets. Yes they are great for sales but do feck all for instilling creativity.
    If i spent €500 on a star wars set you can be damned sure it wont be coming apart for general use.
    Which begs the question: why?
    Just buy a plastic model kit and build/paint it and hang it up. It'll be lighter,cheaper and look more realistic.
    Anyway, with that little rant out of the way i must say i have been very busy this past while making Christmas Village stuff. All out of my head and a small purchase was made to help things along. Which is funny because there is more lego here than i have ever seen in my life!
    Probably two trugs (from aldi)worth.
    I have to say, i am pleased with the results and i'm not finished yet!
    Where's that MOC thread??

shedweller wrote: »
    I really have reservations about the licenced sets. Yes they are great for sales but do feck all for instilling creativity.
    If i spent €500 on a star wars set you can be damned sure it wont be coming apart for general use.
    Just buy a plastic model kit and build/paint it and hang it up.

I disagree. I've worked teaching through Lego (Hey boss!) and I've realised that you get two different types of kids who are into Lego: the ones who want to build something big and amazing, and the storymakers. These are the ones who just want to play, ie they will stick two bricks together and then run around after each other going pew pew pew, or they will add a few "star wars Lego" pieces together and make a whole story about how their Captain America minifigure is coming to save the Jedi's. I swear those minifigures are to boys what dolls are to girls. It's like everyone of them has their favourite which they carry around with them and put into crazy adventures.

You can't say that's not creative

Oh and I'd love to see your MOC! I'm working on one of my apartment at the moment since I realised that I actually have loads of tan pieces and my gaff is actually quite interesting architecturally.

• Advertisement

the lego back to the future delorean drool

where is the best brick and mortar shop to buy lego in ireland?

Having had lego in the eighties i always smile when i see someone ask this! Tis far from online buying i was reared and here i am buying online like a mofo!!
    Theres Duffys toy shop in Dunleer, co. Louth if you're in the area. They have a savage selection of lego and often have older sets or the really big creator sets that Smyths dont stock. I had to be really strong there and not blow the whole Christmas budget!
    There may be other toy shops around the country like that so someone else here might know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

shedweller wrote: »
    Just buy a plastic model kit and build/paint it and hang it up. It'll be lighter,cheaper and look more realistic.

I disagree on a number of levels.

1) To each their own; the wonderful thing about the hobby is that it lends itself to different avenues of enjoyment. I'm not a great at producing original pieces, but speaking as someone with a hectic working life there is nothing more therapeutic than shutting your brain off and building something from instructions.

2) I love LEGO, not plastic model kits. I don't buy sets for their realism, I buy them because I've had a lifelong affinity for the product that takes me back to my childhood whenever I crack a new set open.

3) I know of people who buy licensed sets and sell the minifigures to recoup some (usually a decent chunk) of the cost, leaving them with a huge pile of bricks that they use for MOCs.

4) Licensed sets have provided builders with a great palette of pieces over the years. Off the top of my head, if you look at the new 10246 Detective's Office, they have used Unikitty's tail from The LEGO Movie as roof decoration to wonderful effect.

I can see where you're coming from, I'm always happier seeing original themes released over new licenses (The Simpsons is an abomination IMO), but I don't think it's fair to say they stunt creativity.

Smyths tend to have the most, and are the only place I've seen the larger sets like the Death Star, Simpsons House, modulars...

Argos are pricier but they'll sometimes have a 3 for 2 sale which works out ok but even then they're more for the middle of the price range sets.

You'll also find less common toy shops (like toys 'r us in Dublin... is it still toys r us?) that will be more expensive, but are slower at selling lego so if you can't find a set you're looking for, fingers crossed, they'll still have it.

Tesco's has a limited range but discount a lot if they're on sale.

Although I'm lucky to live near a Lego store so I do all my shopping there. It is amazing! They're shoite for sales and the urge to buy more is a lot stronger (but you don't feel so stupid buying a load of it knowing full well that it's all for you!)
    (The Simpsons is an abomination IMO).

I kind of agree with you. I think it looks lovely from the outside, but inside, when you open it out, the walls just seem too thick. It's pretty great for simple bricks though.

It's actually funny that we're arguing Lego and creativity in a Lego ideas thread, which by it's very nature, is all about creativity

I think this must be one of the most creative things I've ever seen. I want it on ideas!

1338692113m_DISPLAY.jpg

:eek:

Edit: For anyone who hasn't realised, it's a remake of this:
    Escher's_Relativity.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

gubbie wrote: »
    I kind of agree with you. I think it looks lovely from the outside, but inside, when you open it out, the walls just seem too thick. It's pretty great for simple bricks though.

The house looks great from the outside, but the inaccuracies inside would annoy me. But that's not my problem with the theme though - it's the minifigures. They are simply not LEGO as far as I'm concerned, they're like scaled down action figures.

Regarding the discussion of whether all these sets have reduced some of the magic and creativity of Lego, the BBC Website has another great link

CLICK HERE asking has the imagination disappeared from Lego?

Its a good read. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭p_o_s_t_y

I heard there is a UCS superheroes shield helicarrier in the works,anyone have any info on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Regarding the discussion of whether all these sets have reduced some of the magic and creativity of Lego, the BBC Website has another great link

Its a good read. IMO

Great article.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

p_o_s_t_y wrote: »
    I heard there is a UCS superheroes shield helicarrier in the works,anyone have any info on this?

Just a mention here http://www.neoape.com/lego-summer-2015-rumor-roundup/

• Advertisement

Does anyone know why lego is more expensive in Europe,I was looking at the new superhero sets and they are at least a third cheaper in the USA,the black manta set is $35 and it's €68 here in SMYTHS,absolute robbery

Does anyone know why lego is more expensive in Europe,I was looking at the new superhero sets and they are at least a third cheaper in the USA,the black manta set is $35 and it's €68 here in SMYTHS,absolute robbery
    Smaller market? Higher insurance/wage costs? General taking-the-mickery?
    All of the above??

I bought a lens for a camera a few years ago and it was €1000 here but €600 from the uk and that was with a poor exchange rate!. No point arguing about it just get it cheaper where you can!

If I buy the sets here it will cost me €280,if I get them off the guy on eBay it'll cost me €150 plus shipping,I'll have him open and flatten the boxes and ship thrm as used,save me on the import tax

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

If I buy the sets here it will cost me €280,if I get them off the guy on eBay it'll cost me €150 plus shipping,I'll have him open and flatten the boxes and ship thrm as used,save me on the import tax

It's no guarantee you won't get hit with the import/excise duty though

I probably will,I did last time but I still ended up €40 better off,worth the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Its a good read. IMO

I think lego have destroyed creativity with its modular sets, my daughter(7) has a shed load of lego friends sets,she has been collecting them for a few years now, dont get me wrong she loves making them, but once they are made thats it, a few mins play and on the shelf they go till the next set comes along, i just think its such a waste, i go into her room and see all these sets just sitting there gathering dust its such a waste, my young lad(4) wants his own lego now and he wants lego city stuff, but there are only so many bloody sheves i can put up, so i think i might just get him a big box of bricks instead, at least he will get a bit of use out of them and maybe use some imagination!!

One thing i did see on a lego forum somewhere was to see how many different sets could you make from a given set. There were some fantastic ideas shown and i think its a great idea. I said it to my lads but they were more interested in screen time.
    They couldnt be arsed looking for bits and instead, they see how many minifigs they can put on something i've made!!
    So now theres a two minifig limit per person! I wasnt told this in the parenting course...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I think lego have destroyed creativity with its modular sets, my daughter(7) has a shed load of lego friends sets,she has been collecting them for a few years now, dont get me wrong she loves making them, but once they are made thats it, a few mins play and on the shelf they go till the next set comes along, i just think its such a waste, i go into her room and see all these sets just sitting there gathering dust its such a waste, my young lad(4) wants his own lego now and he wants lego city stuff, but there are only so many bloody sheves i can put up, so i think i might just get him a big box of bricks instead, at least he will get a bit of use out of them and maybe use some imagination!!

Posting this in the Ideas thread is more than a little ironic. Also, "modular" in Lego refers to the 140euro plus sets that are targeted at adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

You could always get your daughter to break up all of the Friends models and then you have an instant box of bricks. There aren't too many unique pieces, even in the Friends sets. My kids have built dozens of sets at this stage and they don't last long on the shelf before they are broken down to be rebuilt as something wacky.
    Have a look at the rebrickable website, you can input all the sets you own and it tells you what other sets or mocs you can build from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

My young fella is the opposite ... Sets get made, played with for a day or two , then broken up and spread around the floor.. He goes off and builds his own stuff too- but the sets never get rebuilt -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement