Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomniac or night owl

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭incrisis

I am more of a night owl but I do get bouts of insomnia, thankfully only for a couple of days or so...
    I tend to sleep about 4 hours a night/day dependent on what shift I am working, any more than 6 hours and I feel like I have a hangover..

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭honey79

A bit of both I think

I do my best thinking at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Bit of both... Night owl til about 0030-0100, after that I'm not asleep because I can't sleep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

I sleep 5 night out of 7 for almost last 4 years. Insomniac. I need to be absolutely drained to find sleep easy. And I mean absolutely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I sleep an average of five hours a day. I a graveyard shift worker. Also have a beast of a time getting to sleep most days and staying asleep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I'd call myself a cross between both. I suffer from anxiety, which often leaves me unable to sleep, other times, I just don't feel like going to bed and end up staying up throughout the night. Tonight, I'm personally insanely tired and could be asleep in 5 minutes if I wanted to. But that's only in the last half hour or so, I've got college in the morning, and I'm the kind of person who's very unlikely to get up for college without at least 6 hours sleep. I'm not really concerned with missing 1 day of college, but my main concern is that if I go asleep now, I'm probably asleep till 12pm at least, which means I'll be up till 4am tomorrow night as well, I don't want a habit to form, as I know from personal experience, if you allow your sleeping pattern to change like that, it's very hard to break.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I stayed up til 8am last night. To be fair, it was in bed with crippling abdominal pain, but some people don't pick insomnia - it picks them >_>

I remember back in the old days when I was only a night owl... good times...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Im a night owl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Generally prefer the silence of the night, something very peaceful about it.
    Same here, I like nights. I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow and sleep 6 hours, when I have to study midnight to 4 am is my best time and I can stay until 8-10 am or even all next day but I'll be hiding behind my sunglasses as I will look horrible! :))

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Out of curiosity, who here is a true insomniac or are most people just night owls. How many hours of sleep do you get a night? I range from anywhere between 2 to 5 hours a night, never any more than six. I don't drink coffee, i don't suffer from anxiety, i'm just an incredibly light sleeper and even the normal sounds of the house creaking will wake me. Once i'm awake, that's it. How about Y'all?

I'm more of an evening owl than a night owl... definitely not a morning person anyway! Usually sleep reasonable well, but affected by anxiety-like symptoms occasional; can manifest in dreams and I wake up in a panic, like now! Sometimes I get back to sleep right away, other times it takes a while. I try for 7-8 hours on a work night, but I usually enjoy a catch up at the weekends :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭butterbun

Can you be an insomniac night owl? Normally I'm up late by choice, lately it's because of good ole insomnia though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ChaosIsOrder

Both. Chronic insomnia since childhood, because of being a night owl and reading all night. These days I cant leep before sunrise, as I am most productive during the few hours before the dawn chorus. Thesn I can sleep. Though I still find it extremely hard to fall asleep and to actually get up the next day lol
    Sleeping tablets are horrible becayse they make you really muggy when you wake up. Plus you can take them at the exact same time every night and have the same going to bed routine, but wake up at torally different times! Nightmare :/
    Especially when you need to be up at seven, but you could be awake at 5/6am just not able to physically get out of bemed....or wake up at seven and spend an hour struggling to get out if bed andallready being la

Advertisement