Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomniac or night owl

Options
  • 14-11-2014 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Out of curiosity, who here is a true insomniac or are most people just night owls. How many hours of sleep do you get a night? I range from anywhere between 2 to 5 hours a night, never any more than six. I don't drink coffee, i don't suffer from anxiety, i'm just an incredibly light sleeper and even the normal sounds of the house creaking will wake me. Once i'm awake, that's it. How about Y'all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I ping pong between the two . Sometimes I love just being up and the night; and sometimes I am in the position I am an insomniac. Really enjoy my own time but sometimes I just want to sleep and I can't . I could be in darkness for 6 hours trying to sleep, get two hours then I am up again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

Out of curiosity, who here is a true insomniac or are most people just night owls. How many hours of sleep do you get a night? I range from anywhere between 2 to 5 hours a night, never any more than six. I don't drink coffee, i don't suffer from anxiety, i'm just an incredibly light sleeper and even the normal sounds of the house creaking will wake me. Once i'm awake, that's it. How about Y'all?

^ that about covers me too... Doesnt help that my upstairs neighbour stomps on my ceiling at 430 in the morning. Also I tend to be a night owl and sleep is hard to come by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

TommieBoy wrote: »
    ^ that about covers me too... Doesnt help that my upstairs neighbour stomps on my ceiling at 430 in the morning. Also I tend to be a night owl and sleep is hard to come by.

Your neighbour is Fred Astaire? :P

Annex%20-%20Astaire,%20Fred%20(Royal%20Wedding)_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Awkward Author

TommieBoy wrote: »
    ^ that about covers me too... Doesnt help that my upstairs neighbour stomps on my ceiling at 430 in the morning.

omg I'd hate that, it might actually make me go postal lol.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm an night owl, generally have no problems sleeping unless Im anxious or worried about something, I'm thankful I don't suffer from insomnia, I do like staying up late though :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm both, I'm generally very awake in the later hours, but I also suffer very badly from anxiety and have nights where I'm just completely unable to sleep, I could be tired as **** and utterly shattered, but still just lie there. Horrible feeling.

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm both, I'm generally very awake in the later hours, but I also suffer very badly from anxiety and have nights where I'm just completely unable to sleep, I could be tired as **** and utterly shattered, but still just lie there. Horrible feeling.

That's so awful for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

I'm a bit of both I think, I like to stay up late and be on my own. at the same time though I find it hard to sleep and could be awake for hours on end, suffer from anxiety so that doesn't help. It's tough and annoying but I get on with life the best i can:)

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one out there. Everyone else I know sleeps like the dead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one out there. Everyone else I know sleeps like the dead.

Hmmmm that sounds kinda suspicious.......maybe there zombies o_O :O

• Advertisement

Hmmmm that sounds kinda suspicious.......maybe there zombies o_O :O

That would explain A LOT. :)

Finally someone listens to me \o/ :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Finally someone listens to me \o/ :-D

That's what they want you to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

99% a night owl AA

And what about the other 1℅ Hugo :pac:?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

more of a night owl.
    i don't really sleep at night, never had. Maybe an hour or two if I'm lucky. most nights i get no sleep at all.
    but i can sleep fine during the days. which explains why i much prefer working night shifts.
    I work shift and i'm always happy when i manage to get home after a day shift without putting my car into a ditch, or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I'm so glad that other folk are like me.....I think I'm a night owl, don't think I am an insomniac.

I just think better at night time. I don't need much sleep either. Too much sleep leaves me dopey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

And what about the other 1℅ Hugo :pac:?

Check out Mr Math mon over here! :p :pac:

Check out Mr Math mon over here! :p :pac:

Yup that's me :D

1302984326492.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

I wrote a huge huge big post on sleeping and waking at some stage a good while back - literally just whinging / randomly ranting away like and then some time weeks or months later someone spoke about sleeping in the Off-topic Thread and others replied about their sleeping habits etc., and it was much the same as what I had previously posted about. Had thought it was just me but then it seemed to be the same with everyone.

Wouldn't consider myself an Insomniac at the moment Thank the Lord! It's horrible! Going through patches of not actually being able to sleep and just lying there wide-awake is the pits but it's not a problem at the moment but am a Night-owl anyway. Night-time over Day-time for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mountsky

Always depends on what time I woke up that morn,Mon-Frid is good but Ive encountered serious issues with sleeping pattern come the weekend nights

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'm just a night-owl through and through, I can sleep most of the day away no bother, and stay wide awake until the silly hours of the morning (As this post points out)

Generally prefer the silence of the night, something very peaceful about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

I used to do shift work so I'm all kinds of messed up...

I go through a weird cycle of progressively staying up later and later at night until I stay awake all night and all of the following day. On the following day I'll go to bed at a reasonable time and get up at a reasonable time the next morning, resetting the cycle. The cycle repeats itself every few weeks so I now find myself on boards at 5am... fml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

bit of both i think. i work late shifts in my job..im usually starting when everyone else is finishing and i finish when everyone else is in the bed. usually on this until very late…it wouldn't be unusual for me to eventually get to sleep at around 4 or 5am, i might not get up until 10.30am.
    lately I've been a cranky little ****e. probably a combo of my job and stupid sleeping hours. i possibly suffer from a bit of anxiety too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I'm a bit of both. Usually just stay up late and sleep in the day. Other times I have serious trouble nodding off. Luckily it doesn't last too long, my current record is awake for two days straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadMoonRising

Im a night owl, in such a habit of staying up really late even though Im wrecked, then complaining the next morning when im tired :/

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Dunford

I used to wake up at two or three. Try all night to sleep, fall asleep at 7, then up at 7.15. Nightmare.Started taking an over the counter tablet.... now sleep like a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Georgie.Girl

I am both a night owl and an insomniac - ugh.

Me no like mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Kayly

Dunford wrote: »
    I used to wake up at two or three. Try all night to sleep, fall asleep at 7, then up at 7.15. Nightmare.Started taking an over the counter tablet.... now sleep like a baby.

Nothing worse than falling asleep just in time to wake up. :( What over the counter tablet is that, Dunford?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Night owl, but also really struggle to get asleep. No issues once I do fall asleep, I'm out cold for 8.5 hours then. Just can't get asleep.. Til my alarm goes off. That works really well for sending me off :D

Wish I could work nights, but exams coming up so need to get some sort of routine going grrr

Advertisement