Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Granny leads

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Leafo, I don't think at the moment I would go for any granny cable, I want to get the 32 amp home evse first, I'm really annoyed E-cars won't even allow you to pay extra for the 32 amp, they can in the U.K but of course not in Ireland and they don't cost much extra.

How much of a difference would the 32 amp make to the charge time?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

Charging from home it would only make a difference if you have a 6.6kw leaf or zoe.
    A leaf will only charge max 3.3kw if fitted with that charger from the j1772 port

Leafo wrote: »
    Okay, having researched this for a while and not being happy with the prices on offer, I’m ordering a bulk quantity of granny cables from an electronics manufacturer to get a reduced price. They will be brand new, CE-marked, 16A cables, 5.5m long, can be either J1772 for Leaf or IEC62196-2 for Zoe, and come in a carrying case. I’m hoping to be able to sell them for €300, plus €10 p&p. Hoping to have delivery in April/May. If anyone is interested, let me know, I can send on the full spec.

Also might order 10-metre “ICE-breaker” charging cables for anyone tired of being ICEd at public charging points, if there’s enough interest, €180 plus P&P.

Theres a guy selling these Ev cables in Kildare, theevcompany. com
    He sells genuine Nissan cables but sources second hand ones if you mail them. Also does 10 meter cables. Says hes getting after market granny cables soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DON50

Hi Leafo,

Just ordered my new Leaf today my first EV. I might be interested in getting one of those Granny cables so would appreciate if you could send on the specs. Have the home charger ( or will have soon) so this is more for visiting relatives etc I agree the price is ridiculous for the original cable from Nissan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Leafo

mr.dunkey wrote: »
    Theres a guy selling these Ev cables in Kildare, theevcompany. com
    He sells genuine Nissan cables but sources second hand ones if you mail them. Also does 10 meter cables. Says hes getting after market granny cables soon

Saw them but still very expensive. Those 10 metre cables including delivery are €80 dearer than I'm planning to sell for. Maybe I'll contact him to stock mine instead :-)

• Advertisement

Leafo wrote: »
    Saw them but still very expensive. Those 10 metre cables including delivery are €80 dearer than I'm planning to sell for. Maybe I'll contact him to stock mine instead :-)

Some UK companys are selling 10 mt cables for mad money, I wonder why the big price difference? If your buying out side the EU don't forget import tax, I bought electronics from the states for 25 e with 25 e worth of fees and admin. Cost me 50e could of bought here as cheap :( . no saving in the end

dloob wrote: »
    How much of a difference would the 32 amp make to the charge time?

It would cut the charge time in half.

It would be handy IMO when you drive longer distances, you could plug in and get a decent charge so you might not have to look for a fast charger.

Also if a fast charger is down then the 6.6 kw could mean the difference between getting home, or not compared to the 3.3 kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It would cut the charge time in half.

It would be handy IMO when you drive longer distances, you could plug in and get a decent charge so you might not have to look for a fast charger.

Also if a fast charger is down then the 6.6 kw could mean the difference between getting home, or not compared to the 3.3 kw.

Ohh so it makes a difference when using the non fast charge points too?
    That could make it quite worthwhile.

dloob wrote: »
    Ohh so it makes a difference when using the non fast charge points too?
    That could make it quite worthwhile.

Yes it will mean it charges twice as fast as the 3.3 Kw at non fast chargers.

Very well worth while if you ask me. Means you can go to any half decent town, plug in and you'd have a decent charge in 2 hours meaning you might not need a fast charger. It will also be kinder on the battery not having to fast charge so much.

Advertisement