Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Granny leads

Options
  • 13-11-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm looking for a granny lead for a new Leaf, but a bit put off by Nissan's €700 asking price. I've seen a few recommendations of sites to buy one off but thought it deserved its own thread. Any recommendations based on personal experiences? I was hoping to get one for around €300.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Have you asked on the Facebook page?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Leafo

I've been reluctant to do that as it's probably been asked several times before on there and the format of Facebook means that older posts just get lost. At least this format of threads on Boards can be accessed again in a few months, I had a look through the threads to date and was surprised there wasn't a dedicated thread on EVSEs before now.

Leafo wrote: »
    I've been reluctant to do that as it's probably been asked several times before on there and the format of Facebook means that older posts just get lost. At least this format of threads on Boards can be accessed again in a few months, I had a look through the threads to date and was surprised there wasn't a dedicated thread on EVSEs before now.

Yeah I definitely agree with useful information getting buried in the FB group, it needs a proper Forum.

I'd start with leaftalk.co.uk if someone there can;t get you one at a decent price I don't think you'll get on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tony67

I don't think you'll find cheaper than evconnectors.com I certainly haven't been able to.

tony67 wrote: »
    I don't think you'll find cheaper than evconnectors.com I certainly haven't been able to.

Thanks Tony, checked them out, they're not exactly cheap, after taxes and shipping are applied the 5m cable works out at £488 (€613) and the 8m cable is £518 (€651), not really much cheaper than the genuine Nissan part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

You can get those also from Mitsubishi and Renault for sure as they use J1772 in their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

September1, Zoe doesn't use J1772. Type 2 all the way.

nuworldenergy.co.uk currently has theirs on sale. Maybe you could use parcel motel to ship it to Ireland?

Thanks Dexter, tried them before, so far they're the best price I've seen, but with currency conversion and including shipping it still works out at €425 for a 5m cable and €500 for a 10m cable.

Surely there's an opportunity there for a company to manufacture and sell these products for less? Or even for a company to rent out Granny cables? I would only anticipate needing one perhaps twice a year, I find it hard to justify paying that price, especially if I could rent one for, say, €10 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    September1, Zoe doesn't use J1772. Type 2 all the way.

Renault has 4 EVs and at least Fluence and Kangoo are J1772

September1 wrote: »
    Renault has 4 EVs and at least Fluence and Kangoo are J1772

Correct. Twizzy has a build in 3-pin plug and Zoe has a Type 2 connector. Just saying it's not all Renault cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Thanks Dexter, tried them before, so far they're the best price I've seen, but with currency conversion and including shipping it still works out at €425 for a 5m cable and €500 for a 10m cable.

Surely there's an opportunity there for a company to manufacture and sell these products for less? Or even for a company to rent out Granny cables? I would only anticipate needing one perhaps twice a year, I find it hard to justify paying that price, especially if I could rent one for, say, €10 per day.

People have been making their own on myrenaultzoe.com?

Considering the savings on ice car I'd just buy a proper tethered evse.

Considering the savings on ice car I'd just buy a proper tethered evse.

I don't need one for the house, I already have the ESB box. I need one when visiting relatives or staying somewhere that perhaps doesn't have a charger.

Even so, you're still saving big bucks over an ice car. If I get an EV this year I'll be getting the granny evse for sure.

Even so, you're still saving big bucks over an ice car. If I get an EV this year I'll be getting the granny evse for sure.

Are you just buying the manufacturers' own or shopping around like myself?

Are you just buying the manufacturers' own or shopping around like myself?

Sorry, I meant in 2015.

I'll be getting the manufacturers one.

I'm waiting to see if the Kia soul comes out because it will be the only affordable EV that has true potential to allow me travel my 85 mile commute on one charge.

The Golf will not and it's hugely over priced.

The I3 will not and it's hugely over priced, the Rex is insanely over priced but would make it guaranteed on the generator.

The Nissan leaf will not allow this in winter either at any reasonable speed. So I need to charge at work or see if I can make it back to the fast charger in Naas. I'm guessing I would need about 10 mins to get me home.

It would be 56.5 miles from my house to work and back to the Naas fast charger, so that's possible on a new charge.

The Newlands Cross QC is 3.5 miles each way so that could be done on lunch but then I'm adding 7 miles a day extra to the mileage. Prob working 3-4 days a week on shift. Might not be too bad.

I hope I could convince work to allow me charge. But being new I would have to keep my mouth shut for a month or two, I'd be seen to be making demands only in the door. I did work there for nearly a year as a contractor.

But if the Soul doesn't come by the time I say I definitely want an e.v it will have to be the Leaf.

Someone in the Irish EV Owners facebook group said their local KIA dealer said the Soul is not coming to Ireland. Importing one from the UK may be an option?

Someone in the Irish EV Owners facebook group said their local KIA dealer said the Soul is not coming to Ireland. Importing one from the UK may be an option?

if that were true then Kia Ireland would have told me but they said they don't know when or if it's coming.

Windsor Belgard weren't even slightly aware of the MK 1.5 Leaf coming out not too long before it came. I wouldn't believe anything dealers say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Yeah I read that post with a massive pinch of salt.
    Even if the dealer said that (which they more than likely didnt), the dealers are often the last people to know!

the dealers are often the last people to know!

Yeah I agree.

I wonder could a Kia dealer in Ireland import it for me ?

They would probably say no because they wouldn't be able to service it, though technically there is no servicing just checks, but they'd still need to be trained on the new tech.

I know it will be more expensive than the Leaf but imho it would be very well worth it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Yeah I agree.

I wonder could a Kia dealer in Ireland import it for me ?

They would probably say no because they wouldn't be able to service it, though technically there is no servicing just checks, but they'd still need to be trained on the new tech.

I know it will be more expensive than the Leaf but imho it would be very well worth it .

Could you bring it to another EV dealer, eg Renault or Nissan?

Could you bring it to another EV dealer, eg Renault or Nissan?

Honestly don't know. But I'll start calling around !

Okay, having researched this for a while and not being happy with the prices on offer, I’m ordering a bulk quantity of granny cables from an electronics manufacturer to get a reduced price. They will be brand new, CE-marked, 16A cables, 5.5m long, can be either J1772 for Leaf or IEC62196-2 for Zoe, and come in a carrying case. I’m hoping to be able to sell them for €300, plus €10 p&p. Hoping to have delivery in April/May. If anyone is interested, let me know, I can send on the full spec.

Also might order 10-metre “ICE-breaker” charging cables for anyone tired of being ICEd at public charging points, if there’s enough interest, €180 plus P&P.

Okay, having researched this for a while and not being happy with the prices on offer, I’m ordering a bulk quantity of granny cables from an electronics manufacturer to get a reduced price. They will be brand new, CE-marked, 16A cables, 5.5m long, can be either J1772 for Leaf or IEC62196-2 for Zoe, and come in a carrying case. I’m hoping to be able to sell them for €300, plus €10 p&p. Hoping to have delivery in April/May. If anyone is interested, let me know, I can send on the full spec.

Also might order 10-metre “ICE-breaker” charging cables for anyone tired of being ICEd at public charging points, if there’s enough interest, €180 plus P&P.

Ice breaker cables, what are they ?

What current will the "granny" cable charge at ? will it have selectable current settings ?

Any pics ?

Ice breakers are just extra long cables (10m), so even if a parking space is ICEd you can easily just park behind and still reach.

Standard unit has cable rated 16A and fused as such. I can order 32A ones as well but a bit reluctant to encourage people to use them as wiring in houses might not be suitable. Haven't gone for adjustable settings, drives up the price too much. Really doing my best to keep the price down. If I was ordering 100 units, maybe, but I don't want to be stuck with thousands of euros of stock I mightn't be able to shift.

I'm getting a sample unit in the next 2 weeks, will have pics then.

If you can make one that will also do 30A for a Zoe via selectable switch I might be interested. Would like one with 10A, 16A and 30A single phase. Will probably get/make a commando adapter to maximise compatibility.

That won't be possible at this stage, Dexter (JBS?). That's a pretty specific order which we can't do at that price for a single unit and not sure there are sufficient numbers for me to encourage the manufacturer to make these just for Ireland. Could be possible down the road but the current design which will have CE mark doesn't include a switch.

Can you enlighten me as to why you would need to switch between those specific currents?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

FFS, you'd think considering the price of a new EV that they would include a granny cable as part of the car as it's reasonably important with the national public charging network not being excellent as yet, bit like a jack, you hope to only use it in an emergency but would like to have one in the boot all the same.

Surely they should be doing all they can to entice people to buy, it's sh1te like this that annoys people, well me anyway

FFS, you'd think considering the price of a new EV that they would include a granny cable as part of the car as it's reasonably important with the national public charging network not being excellent as yet, bit like a jack, you hope to only use it in an emergency but would like to have one in the boot all the same.

Surely they should be doing all they can to entice people to buy, it's sh1te like this that annoys people, well me anyway

It annoys me too, they get the granny cable in the U.K but they don't (afaik) with the 6.6 Kw charger.

I would say it's Nissan Ireland don't want to buy them and don't want to give us them for free.

• Advertisement

Leafo, I don't think at the moment I would go for any granny cable, I want to get the 32 amp home evse first, I'm really annoyed E-cars won't even allow you to pay extra for the 32 amp, they can in the U.K but of course not in Ireland and they don't cost much extra.

Advertisement