Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

142 Skoda Octavia L&K or 09 Opel Insignia

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

A 1.6 TDI in a Superb is criminal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Jesus. wrote: »

Only interesting car Skoda has made in recent years has been the Fabia RS, rest are boring as hell.

105bhp in a 1600kg car is indeed criminal.

That's the same power to weight ratio as a 98 1.2 Renault Clio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

well after 110k miles in one I would have to disagree.

I have taken it with a family of four and full to the brim with luggage to the south of france a couple of time, across the UK and never once did I think it was 'dangerously underpowered' like someone here mentioned.

My daily commute is a mix of motorway and back roads .. plenty of over taking and if you have any sort of driving ability it isn't a problem .. sure i'd love to have more power, but when it is me paying for the fuel and with such high miles it makes a huge difference.

My previous cars before the superb was a MKV GTi and E36 323i .. so its not like I don't really understand what constitutes power or lack thereof.

I can get up to 70mpg on the daily commute (by the clock .. couldn't be arsed being properly scientific any more) .. yes it's a boring auld fart of a car .. but with kids, dogs, big commute .. it ticks all the boxes for me . comfy, frugile, decent dealer network, big and has everything as standard.

Fair play Whippet and I don't want to denigrate a car I've not actually driven. The bro-in-law has the 1.6 in an Octy and its fine but then its a smaller car. I know 0-60 times often aren't always relevant but they do give some indication as to how nippy a Motor might be and 14 seconds is slow as hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cest6L9WtsQ
    thierry14 wrote: »
    That's the same power to weight ratio as a 98 1.2 Renault Clio.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

Fair play Whippet and I don't want to denigrate a car I've not actually driven. The bro-in-law has the 1.6 in an Octy and its fine but then its a smaller car. I know 0-60 times often aren't always relevant but they do give some indication as to how nippy a Motor might be and 14 seconds is slow as hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cest6L9WtsQ

:eek:

slow is all relevant, what is there to be quick about, yeah 0-60 in 6-7 seconds is fun the odd time you actually might be inclined to do it, the vast majority of the time you get up to speed at same pace as the rest of the traffic around you. And when your on the motorway at 120-130kph you are going just as fast as all those around you.

I've had my quick cars .. i enjoyed them, but at this moment in life the superb I have is more suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I recently drove a 141 Demo Passat 1.6tdi for a day. It was the 1.6 105bhp and I thought it was fine for motorway cruising as long as you don't want to overtake at pace but it was very sluggish everywhere else. I see the new Passat 1.6tdi will have 120bhp so maybe this will trickle down to the Superb.
    Personally, I'm looking at the new 2015 Passat but after driving a Passat 2 litre 140bhp for nearly 8 years, I'm definitely going for the 2.0Tdi 150bhp.

How about the 2.0 BiTdi? 240bhp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Thanks for all the feedback and comments.

I have since then driven a 132 Superb Estate 2.0 TDI 170HP elegance with sunroof and high spec sat-nav.
    Found it fantastic.

Miles ahead of Octavia or my Insignia. The rear legroom is bit too much.
    But looks wise, it crap.

I think I will stick with Insignia for another while.

Advertisement