Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

142 Skoda Octavia L&K or 09 Opel Insignia

Options
  • 12-11-2014 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I currently have 09 Opel Insignia Elite 2.0 Diesel Saloon.
    The car has done 15K Km and recently serviced and had timing belt changed.
    It has been showing niggling issues like 3 glow cylinders (fancy name for spark plugs) replacements and manifold pipe replacement in 2014. There is also AFL (front lamp) fault with comes on sometimes but the dealer hasn't been able to figure it out.

Just saw a 142 Skoda Octavia L&K Estate (ex-demo) which ticks all same boxes as Insignia and also has huge boot space which is a plus point but not a requirement.

My daily commute is 100km.

Cost wise its a huge jump as I own (no loan) the Insignia and I would pay 400 Euro/pm for the skoda.

I think the problem with opel are just starting and it will get worse.
    I will save substantially on fuel as Skoda has 50+mpg and my Insignia gives 35mpg.

Should I stick with Insignia or go with Skoda ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

You had to change the belt after just 9k miles? Its very low mileage for a five year old car.

I'd go for it. You'll have to change at some point anyway so if you're not completely happy you might as well change now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

my wife just bought a new Octavia (4x4) not the L&K model and while it is a nice car and ticks a lot boxes on paper it is not as refined or as nice to drive as my superb (now nearly 4 years old). The road noise is much more evident and on a longer drive its miles behind the bigger brother. I would assume the insignia would have a refinement similar to the superb (I haven't driven the opel) so with fairly hefty miles and long commutes the octavia would probably feel that little bit cheaper.

The reason why there is a second skoda in the household now is that I have 110,000 miles on the clock and the only part that needed replacing so far is a single side bulb .. by far and away the most reliable motor I have ever owned and I can say that the two dealers I have dealt with for servicing have been a pleasure to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Jesus. wrote: »
    You had to change the belt after just 9k miles? Its very low mileage for a five year old car.

I'd go for it. You'll have to change at some point anyway so if you're not completely happy you might as well change now.

I meant the timing belt change was done at 142000 km. which is at correct duration for insignia. The manual put the duration at 150000 km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

There's something very wrong if your only getting 35 mpg out of an insignia on a 100km commute. Is it extremely heavy traffic ?

Bpmull wrote: »
    There's something very wrong if you only getting 35 mpg out of an insignia on a 100km commute. Is it extremely heavy traffic ?

I live in Dublin. So its 80Km on M50 (North in morning and South in evening). While its not a parking lot :p the traffic is quite heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

The Octavia is a clear class below yours, despite being a good car it is really just a Golf with a big boot. Very bland IMO. Have you considered a Passat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

The Octavia is a clear class below yours, despite being a good car it is really just a Golf with a big boot. Very bland IMO. Have you considered a Passat?

The indo motors review of it maintains that the l&k Octavia is a mighty "passion wagon".

I can see it whipping the ladies football team into a bit of lather... for carrying team mates to matches, but can't imagine it igniting passion in many other circumstances.

The indo motors review of it maintains that the l&k Octavia is a mighty "passion wagon".

I can see it whipping the ladies football team into a bit of lather... for carrying team mates to matches, but can't imagine it igniting passion in many other circumstances.

:D I loved the interior personally. Now you have got me thinking or doubting myself.

I donot like shape of a passat. Even new ones :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

How about a Superb? Or a Mondeo?

• Advertisement

free_man wrote: »
    :D I loved the interior personally. Now you have not me thinking or doubting myself.

My comment was not a criticism of the car, more power to ya if thats the car you like - as long as you only ever use the terms "babe magnet", "passion wagon" etc in a sarcastic way! (tbh I think that applies to pretty much any car)

Moneymaker wrote: »
    How about a Superb? Or a Mondeo?

Superb are terrible looking as well personally. Mondeo is coming with a new one next year. Maybe I should just wait for that.

Superb are terrible looking as well personally. Mondeo is coming with a new one next year. Maybe I should just wait for that.
    Superb estate looks fine (to me). Superb saloon looks disproportionate. Especially bad in the favoured "metallic beige"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I donot like shape of a passat. Even new ones :p

You should take one for a drive though, you might be happily surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

New Mazda 6 estate?

Mazda6_Wagon_Paris%2887%29.jpg

bazz26 wrote: »
    New Mazda 6 estate?

Mazda6_Wagon_Paris%2887%29.jpg

Mazda 6 estate is fun to drive and good looking but costlier than octavia, insignia or superb :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Mazda 6 estate is fun to drive and good looking but costlier than octavia, insignia or superb :(

And puck ugly:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mazda6 is easily the best looking car in its segment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

You should be able to get a Mazda 6 Platinum spec for around the same price as the L&K Octavia which frankly is insane money for an Octavia. You'd be better off with a VRS in terms of residuals and performance. A Leon FR ST is very similar too but won't hold its value as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

colm_mcm wrote: »

In the press release photos. When it's specked by paddy however it looks like it's a 6 year old car with a new plate. When I saw the press release last year I thought, wow Mazda have done something here with the 6, but any I've seen on the road are Meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

I drive a Superb, sitting on the M50, you will not be looking at it from the outside, I've almost 70k km after 18 months from new, I must say I love it, the facelift is an improvement, I do like the estate.

But it's the spec, it's crazy, every toy you want, You can watch a DVD on the built in Sat Nav if it really is a car park! :P

It's a really nice place to be inside to pass the time sitting in traffic or munching motorways, miles ahead of the octavia or insignia imo...

719cd6b139e4ad749492d67762150b50.jpg

04cc443c10837fa81036f09f1b1632c2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

In the press release photos. When it's specked by paddy however it looks like it's a 6 year old car with a new plate. When I saw the press release last year I thought, wow Mazda have done something here with the 6, but any I've seen on the road are Meh

I have to agree about them looking a bit meh in the flesh. Nothing to do with the spec either, just something about them in general, it's like Mazda over done it with the styling or something. I think they will age badly in a few years as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any ones I've seen down here in the wesht have been properly specced and always in that bright maroon colour.
    I thi they're really well proportioned, as is the 3 saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Same here, most new model 6s I've seen down here are Sport SE or Platinum models with xenon's, large 19" rims and ivory leather interior in either maroon or silver. The only bog spec ones I've seen have been rental fodder.

Even in basic trim it's not bad, not a huge difference from the high spec one shown already.

mazda-6-tourer-lead-large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The one thing that sets the VAG oil burners in the D-segment is their asthmatic entry level engines. While the Avensis and Insignia aren't going to set the world on fire, they won't leave you in a tight spot. Those VAG wagons, in particular the Superb due to its size, are dangerously underpowered with the 1.6.

And L&K Octavia is a 2 litre 150bhp engine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

ninty9er wrote: »
    The one thing that sets the VAG oil burners in the D-segment is their asthmatic entry level engines. While the Avensis and Insignia aren't going to set the world on fire, they won't leave you in a tight spot. Those VAG wagons, in particular the Superb due to its size, are dangerously underpowered with the 1.6.

Dangerous is abit strong the 1.6 tdi in the superb isn't as bad as you think as the turbo on them is set up differently to the octavia there easily as quick as a 1.6tdi octavia. Granted neither are quick cars by any stretch of the imagination but there not dangerous slow.

As for the octavia in general I find the new one very disappointing I've been in a few granted not l and k ones but considering how the price increased I can't see where it's justified. Also for a car that's supposed to be so much bigger than the mk2 headspace is at least 2 inch less in the back due to the way the roof slopes. My parents have an 11 reg one top spec and I think it's a grand car and has a reasonable amount of space in the back too. As I said its a fine car for what it is back when they bought there's they were seriously cheap compared to now but turning around and spending around 30k on one wouldn't make sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

colm_mcm wrote: »

It doesn't say much for "its segment" that front grille is dire:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Bpmull wrote: »
    Dangerous is abit strong the 1.6 tdi in the superb isn't as bad as you think as the turbo on them is set up differently to the octavia there easily as quick as a 1.6tdi octavia. Granted neither are quick cars by any stretch of the imagination but there not dangerous slow.

I'm quoting someone who drives 1500km a week in one. I had one myself last weekend. They're comparable to the old 1.4 Golf or Focus. When you consider it's the same engine offered in the Golf which isn't exactly going yo set the world alight.

It's 100kg heavier than a Passat, and 250kg heavier than a Golf before you put anyone in it, yet has the same engine tuning. I'm not known for my light foot, but you would have to be completely ignoring the car's own gear change indicator to keep a bit of power available under your right foot.

Advertisement