Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rich Ricci Thread

Options

Comments

BumperD wrote: »
    2nd part is utter nonsense. There are only a very small group of patrons who pump this amount of money into the nh game (Jp, oleary etc). If there is someone else, they'd already exist and you'd be able name them. As regards AP's campaign, I'd take there judgement anyday over mine given their knowledge.

Have you a link for the novice chasers angle, haven't read that but would like to read. I guess from a stable tour?

"Someone else" is anyone who wants to own a racehorse. Supply of racehorses is not a problem - all 'patrons' like Ricci do is drive up the price of horses and make ownership a more remote possibility for others.

If Ricci, McManus and O'Leary left in the morning racing would go on as before (and a broader set of owners would enjoy a greater share of success). The best that can be said of them is that they give us Irish winners to cheer on at Cheltenham but that's a hollow feeling when it's the massive piles of cash of an american living in london that buys them. Maybe that's just me though!

There is no universe in existence in which AP if owned and trained by anyone else would be going for the mares hurdle (for the record I am not convinced she will go anyway, not sure Ricci has anything for the world hurdle and don't see why she wouldn't have a crack at that again).

Mullins story was in the racing post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

"Someone else" is anyone who wants to own a racehorse. Supply of racehorses is not a problem - all 'patrons' like Ricci do is drive up the price of horses and make ownership a more remote possibility for others.

If Ricci, McManus and O'Leary left in the morning racing would go on as before (and a broader set of owners would enjoy a greater share of success). The best that can be said of them is that they give us Irish winners to cheer on at Cheltenham but that's a hollow feeling when it's the massive piles of (stolen) cash of an american living in london that buys them. Maybe that's just me though!

There is no universe in existence in which AP if owned and trained by anyone else would be going for the mares hurdle (for the record I am not convinced she will go anyway, not sure Ricci has anything for the world hurdle and don't see why she wouldn't have a crack at that again).

Preach on man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Perhaps the industry should introduce some communist ideals like China, where parents have only 1 child, racehorse owners can only own 1 horse?

Throw in some price controls at the sales to cap prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

BumperD wrote: »
    Throw in some price controls at the sales to cap prices?

Then when everyone bids the top price the horse can decide who it goes home with!

Bojack Horseman

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

If Ricci, McManus and O'Leary left in the morning racing would go on as before (and a broader set of owners would enjoy a greater share of success). The best that can be said of them is that they give us Irish winners to cheer on at Cheltenham but that's a hollow feeling when it's the massive piles of (stolen) cash of an american living in london that buys them. Maybe that's just me though!

Great stuff.

Don't think AP will go WH unless More of That doesn't perform this season. Sure all Ricci wants is any winner at Cheltenham. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

massive piles of (stolen) cash
    small group of individuals who effectively bankrupted the western world for their own personal gain

You need to be really careful what you write - the last thing we, or you, need is legal action taken against us. Please take this into consideration in your future posts. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Think the chances of Ricci reading this thread are slim now.

jimjamcos wrote: »

Stranger things have happened.....

On a more serious note: it doesn't matter whether or not the person involved may/may not read the thread, posting in that manner is not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

jimjamcos wrote: »

Maybe he will give willie the boot and come here for advice on where to place his horses

No interest in causing trouble to boards so I will say no more about Mr Ricci - his previous posts, remuneration and the travails of his employer are matters of public record so if anyone cares they can look the details up elsewhere.

I still maintain that the concentration of mega-owners is bad for racing, and I think we are mistaken to imagine that the sport 'needs' these people. I will readily admit that I am the romantic type. It's all relative in racing I know but I like to see the 'smaller' owners (and trainers fo that matter) get their day in the sun.

Still think AP wouldn't run in the mares hurdle if she was in any other yard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

The JP v Ricci v O'Leary state of Irish racing couldnt be more boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Easily the most sensible post on this thread - spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Danny Mullins riding Daneking. :eek:

RR needs to grow a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Un De Seaux falls while half a track ahead of the field. Looked mightily impressive until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Un De Seaux falls while half a track ahead of the field. Looked mightily impressive until then.

Jaysus I'd say Ricci's bullin....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

For those wondering about Annie Power over fences I think you got your answer today. Un De Sceaux was borderline wreckless over his fences today. The speed at which he attacked them was electric to watch but when jumping a fence at that speed the slightest mistake & there's zero chance of a recovery. Now, the camera work didn't help us see exactly what happened but judging the distance ruby was from the fence when he was on the ground is hazard a guess that he just flicked through it & unbalanced himself & hit the deck.

I've seen both Annie Power & Un De Sceaux schooling over hurdles (not together) & Annie Power looks a much quicker animal. I've already said this a few weeks ago & got abused over it, but to send her over a fence would be dangerous for both horse & jockey. Both horses hurdle a similar way i.e both seem to accelerate into their jumps.

Annie Power will never jump a fence like I said previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

coopdog85 wrote: »
    For those wondering about Annie Power over fences I think you got your answer today. Un De Sceaux was borderline wreckless over his fences today. The speed at which he attacked them was electric to watch but when jumping a fence at that speed the slightest mistake & there's zero chance of a recovery. Now, the camera work didn't help us see exactly what happened but judging the distance ruby was from the fence when he was on the ground is hazard a guess that he just flicked through it & unbalanced himself & hit the deck.

I've seen both Annie Power & Un De Sceaux schooling over hurdles (not together) & Annie Power looks a much quicker animal. I've already said this a few weeks ago & got abused over it, but to send her over a fence would be dangerous for both horse & jockey. Both horses hurdle a similar way i.e both seem to accelerate into their jumps.

Annie Power is quicker than Un De Sceaux? More Of That should have run in the Champion Hurdle so.

So AP is a non runner for Sunday due to lameness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Coopdog45 I can't agree with what you're saying.

First of all we got no answers about Annie Power's potential as a chaser from Un De Sceaux's performance. Annie Power wasn't even on the racecourse. Draw whatever conclusions you like about Un De Sceaux but using his fall as a way to back-up your argument about Annie Power, well that's warped logic !

Also you're the first person to describe Un De Sceaux's jumping as borderline reckless. Most people would have said it was a very good round. I certainly was very encouraged by it and he'll be one of the leading contenders for the Arkle no doubt about that.

Annie Power is staying over hurdles because there's 2 handy G1's for her at Cheltenham and Punchestown every year. You might be right she might never jump a fence but it's for the reason you think. She's a big scopey mare who looks like a chaser. She was bought with that in mind and her connections last season repeated the belief that she'd make a great chaser. I would not use the fact that she jumps hurdles fast as a reason not to try fences. I'd be worried if she jumped hurdles them slowly put it that way.

Also the fact you watched her school at home hardly strengthens your point. I'd be more inclined to use the evidence off the racecourse than anything else.

Adriana Des Mottes may be another reason why she's being kept to hurdles judged on today's performance. Looks made for fences and while getting lots of weight she won with tonnes in hand and looks a real improver. Should mop up plenty of mares chases, at worst. Just another category ticked off for Ricci. All he's missing is a Hunter Chaser or does he have one with Martin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

coopdog85 wrote: »

Coop, the flaw in your logic is that no decent, fast 2 mile hurdler would ever be sent over a fence. Sure all the top 2 mile chasers wing their fences, some are a bit more careful, some less. Moscow Flyer anyone?

As for UDS, I thought he was going really well there. Shame about the fall and the coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Another Graded winner for Ricci, Kalkir won the G3 3 y-o hurdle at Fairyhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Coopdog45 I can't agree with what you're saying.

First of all we got no answers about Annie Power's potential as a chaser from Un De Sceaux's performance. Annie Power wasn't even on the racecourse. Draw whatever conclusions you like about Un De Sceaux but using his fall as a way to back-up your argument about Annie Power, well that's warped logic !

Also you're the first person to describe Un De Sceaux's jumping as borderline reckless. Most people would have said it was a very good round. I certainly was very encouraged by it and he'll be one of the leading contenders for the Arkle no doubt about that.

Annie Power is staying over hurdles because there's 2 handy G1's for her at Cheltenham and Punchestown every year. You might be right she might never jump a fence but it's for the reason you think. She's a big scopey mare who looks like a chaser. She was bought with that in mind and her connections last season repeated the belief that she'd make a great chaser. I would not use the fact that she jumps hurdles fast as a reason not to try fences. I'd be worried if she jumped hurdles them slowly put it that way.

Also the fact you watched her school at home hardly strengthens your point. I'd be more inclined to use the evidence off the racecourse than anything else.

My "wreckless" comment was to do with the speed at which he was pinging them. He wasn't breaking stride at all Ruby was just firing him into them. My point with that comment was that one small mistake & he's got no way of correcting it. Basically a horse who jumps like that cannot make one mistake because going the clip he was going one slight mistake & he was going down. I did also make the point that seeing him jump was electric but the "wreckless" comment wasn't intended the way it was read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Allez Colombieres put down after pulling up today :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Allez Colombieres put down after pulling up today :-(

Awful pity, could have been anything.

Was Riccis talking horse all pre season

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

another Ricci aeroplane being introduced in the bumper tmow at Thurles, bodes well for whats to come over Christmas

Andalucia wrote: »
    another Ricci aeroplane being introduced in the bumper tmow at Thurles, bodes well for whats to come over Christmas
    Who does be backing these horses? Looks like this will be another 2/7 shot tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Who does be backing these horses? Looks like this will be another 2/7 shot tomorrow.

Ive always wondered that. Surely any clued in punter wouldnt touch a bet like that. I suppose ricci's circle of friends only need to throw down their lunch money and the market collapses.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Ive always wondered that. Surely any clued in punter wouldnt touch a bet like that. I suppose ricci's circle of friends only need to throw down their lunch money and the market collapses.

There is no collapse. Instead of taking a view on Ricci's fancy debutants, bookies are just choosing to duck them from the start. I'd be surprised if there's many bets laid on them.

• Advertisement

He's doing Get In! on ATR right now if anyone's interested.

Advertisement