Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of becoming a teetotal dry****é that can't hack the session and is no fun

Options
  • 11-11-2014 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Thinking of giving up the booze totally - not just for a few months but forever (will probably only last a few months).

Woke up on Sunday morning realising I'd spent the guts of €100 and had nothing to show for it. Spent the first few hours of the day getting rid of a headache then just watched old episodes of The Simpsons on my laptop because I was too tired to do anything. Feel like I wasted a load of money and an entire day. I'm also noticing the makings of a beer belly beginning to appear under my belt and I'm never motivated to go for a run the day after drinking (even only 2-3 pints).

The idea of giving up drink has been on my mind for the past few months. The only problem is that I always have a few events coming up (people's birthdays, get-togethers etc...) that all center around drink. I know you don't HAVE to drink at these events but the idea of being in a nightclub sober isn't one I like the thought of.

Today I just decided "fcuk it, I'm done". I'm sure I'll get the usual comments, questions and slagging but I really don't care anymore. I'm fed up pissing away €5 a go on pints. I'm fed up doing or saying silly things when drunk and cringing the next day (and for all eternity).

I suppose there are other reasons why I'm deciding to give up drink quite young (22). My family (direct and distant) is littered with alcoholism which I won't go into too much but needless to say I gradually witnessed what alcohol can do to people (and those around them) as time passes. I also don't really like who I can sometimes become if I've had one too many drinks. I've never gotten into a fight or anything but I can have a shorter fuse with people which has led to me needing to apolagise the next day a couple of times.

Anyone ever thought of giving up drink before? Or actually done it? Any recommendations, tips or whatever?

I'm a bit apprehensive and kind of expecting my social life (which is small as it is) to go down the pan.

*sups tae*

- Dean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Ah go on, you'll have the one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Drinks on OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Talk to me after Christmas, Dean0088.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Good luck to you OP - don't be afraid to seek help if you think you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Good luck to you OP - don't be afraid to seek help if you think you need it.

Nah! - I'm miles off being an alcoholic. I've gone months without drinking before but it was never a decision - I was just too busy with commitments.

I'm more so just fed up with drinking, not really enjoying it (certainly not for all the money it costs), getting hangovers and not being 100% 'me' when I'm sloshed.

Also thinking ahead health-wise.

So yeah. Mostly just fed up and interested in being sober for the rest of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I basically gave up at around that age too.

If your friends are morons they'll harangue you about it endlessly. You will find out which of your friends are genuinely boring though because they're the ones who "have" to drink to have a good time. You don't owe them any explanation other than "I don't want one".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

It's easy as hell to do.

Change your entire life for the better and you won't miss it nor anything that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

When I got into nice beer (I hate the craft label) I found I drank less.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭cson

€100 is a scary amount of drink OP.

Even if you take off €30 for Taxis/Nightclubs/Chipper; €70 is still about 12-14 pints.

I'd say that's where your issue is rather than alcohol in itself - if you can limit yourself to €30-40 a night all in then do that, just cash and no bank cards. If you can't; cold turkey is probably your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Nah! - I'm miles off being an alcoholic. I've gone months without drinking before but it was never a decision - I was just too busy with commitments.

I'm more so just fed up with drinking, not really enjoying it (certainly not for all the money it costs), getting hangovers and not being 100% 'me' when I'm sloshed.

Also thinking ahead health-wise.

So yeah. Mostly just fed up and interested in being sober for the rest of my life.

I wasn't suggesting you were an alcoholic - but in any case, it sounds like you've nothing to "give up" - should be a breeze!

• Advertisement

I basically gave up at around that age too.

If your friends are morons they'll harangue you about it endlessly. You will find out which of your friends are genuinely boring though because they're the ones who "have" to drink to have a good time. You don't owe them any explanation other than "I don't want one".

My main social circle is friends I went to college with so I'll be expecting a few comments. I've also never really mentioned it before nor had any real problem with drink so it might surprise them that I'm kicking it.

I've seen people get annoyed and offended when someone doesn't drink on a night out or at a party. So I guess I'll be the party pooper. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,258 ✭✭✭✭looksee

With a bit of effort looking at what is available, you could easily find yourself with a much better social life off the drink (or even mostly off the drink).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My main social circle is friends I went to college with so I'll be expecting a few comments. I've also never really mentioned it before nor had any real problem with drink so it might surprise them that I'm kicking it.

I've seen people get annoyed and offended when someone doesn't drink on a night out or at a party. So I guess I'll be the party pooper. :P

Tell them to fcuk off. I gave up 5 yrs ago. I'll have a few at Christmas, birthdays and so on but I no longer drink unless its a special occasion. People can't handle it because it makes them think about their own drinking. I'm as much fun as I always was, more so because I'm not falling asleep on someone at the end of the night. I feel a lot better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Lucena wrote: »
    This. Leave behind Quantity, go for Quality.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I knew a lad who went to the chapel and took the pledge and celebrated in the pub on the way home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

It's not as hard as you think OP, I gave it up last year after my birthday (july) and at first it was weird, Halloween sober was surreal because everyone around you is drunk then it came to Christmas but I woke up Christmas day with no hang over and really enjoyed the day just cooking Christmas dinner and looking forward to the Dr Who Christmas special, Stephens day was a laugh because everyone I seen had eyes hanging out of their heads and for most of that week everyone had hangovers most days except me, by New Years they were all swearing off drink forever but I was in bed by 12 and woke up fine the next morning with everyone again complaining about hangovers and swearing never again. We have a kind of trigger in our heads that says that at certain points we should be drinking but to be honest for me I found not drinking a relief.

EDIT: oh yeah and I had saved over €250 to spend on the January sales too which was totally sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

Id miss the taste of beer more than anything. You can't beat a few pints and a kebab, now and then.

Getting gee-eyed all the time is bad for you and a stupid waste of money though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I'm also noticing the makings of a beer belly beginning to appear under my belt and I'm never motivated to go for a run the day after drinking.....

How high do you wear your belt?! :confused:

cson wrote: »
    €100 is a scary amount of drink OP.

Even if you take off €30 for Taxis/Nightclubs/Chipper; €70 is still about 12-14 pints.

I'd say that's where your issue is rather than alcohol in itself - if you can limit yourself to €30-40 a night all in then do that, just cash and no bank cards. If you can't; cold turkey is probably your best bet.

Well it was really more like €70. Didn't account for the massive fistful of change in my jeans pockets with a lucky €5 note balled up in there. I always have shrapnel after a night drinking. :p

I'd say I spent €45 on drink, €15 on a meal before hand, €5 on a quarter pounder and the rest on transport etc...

Even when I'm only having 2-3 bottle at home while watching a movie with friends I'm not really interested in the drink. I think I've reached a stage where it's no longer for me but not necessarily because it's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Could you not just confine yourself to 3 or 4 pints OP?. Take your time over them and enjoy your night. No need to get blotto at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Just don't turn into one of those "look how fun I am even without drink" gimps

catallus wrote: »
    How high do you wear your belt?! :confused:

The beer belly hasn't reached that critical mass of flopping over the belt just yet. More so an extra few pounds around the waste which has appeared since I started drinking more regularly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Step 1 is find some non drinking activitys, make friends with people who like activities like hillwalking or surfing. Its a lot easier to not drink if you've beeb doing something all day and you know you'll be doing something the next day. If your social life is all about nights out and thats all your friends do, your going struggle.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Just don't turn into one of those "look how fun I am even without drink" gimps

I can already feel myself ascending onto the high horse though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

It's impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Fair play to you OP. Your friends may slap you but they will be jealous with the extra holiday you will be able to afford with the extra money you will have.

I could have written your post but I never really tried to give up. I just cut out my habits like going to the pub to watch any game of football. Now I only go out occasionally with my friends and get a couple of cans watching ice hockey at home on weekends.

Chunners wrote: »
    It's not as hard as you think OP, I gave it up last year after my birthday (july) and at first it was weird, Halloween sober was surreal because everyone around you is drunk then it came to Christmas but I woke up Christmas day with no hang over and really enjoyed the day just cooking Christmas dinner and looking forward to the Dr Who Christmas special, Stephens day was a laugh because everyone I seen had eyes hanging out of their heads and for most of that week everyone had hangovers most days except me, by New Years they were all swearing off drink forever but I was in bed by 12 and woke up fine the next morning with everyone again complaining about hangovers and swearing never again. We have a kind of trigger in our heads that says that at certain points we should be drinking but to be honest for me I found not drinking a relief.

EDIT: oh yeah and I had saved over €250 to spend on the January sales too which was totally sweet :)

I'm both looking forward to this and dreading it at the same time.

I HATE hangovers because

a) They suck
    b) I miss an entire day to "recovering" and lazing around

However, the thought of facing a night like New Years where it seems everyone is drunk is daunting. I can't stand drunk people when I'm sober. I've had jobs dealing with drunken idiots before and I hated them on a molecular level.

Guess I'll have to start giving New Years a miss. Was never a big fan anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

eviltwin wrote: »
    Tell them to fcuk off. I gave up 5 yrs ago. I'll have a few at Christmas, birthdays and so on but I no longer drink unless its a special occasion. People can't handle it because it makes them think about their own drinking. I'm as much fun as I always was, more so because I'm not falling asleep on someone at the end of the night. I feel a lot better too.

Exactly that. The naysayers don't like the suggestion that social people don't require an incapacitating lubricant.

Lucena wrote: »

Was craft beer I was drinking on Saturday! :P I love porter and dark beers but they're hell the next morning. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The beer belly hasn't reached that critical mass of flopping over the belt just yet.

Just as I thought, you're one of those fitness freaks that wears their trousers up around their nipples :mad:

Advertisement