Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry decides it's an island (seriously)

Options
  • 11-11-2014 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Did you hear the one about the Kerryman who tried to sail from Tralee to Limerick?

In an staggering show of contempt for maps the councillors of Kerry have voted overwhelmingly to change the status of the county to an island. And instead of building a bridge over their problems they now plan to petition the EU to further their campaign.

Hopefully there is some way for these idiot councillors to sail away before they arrive in Brussels to embarrass us. Knowing their contempt for atlases they'll probably try and walk to Brussels.

Kerry politicians agree to seek island status

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well with enough explosive we can make their (and our) dreams come true ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

gandalf wrote: »
    Well with enough explosive we can make their (and our) dreams come true ;)

Float away, Healy-Raes... (we wish).

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

A Kerry man walking by a field spots a mate of his rowing a boat in the middle of it, no water anywhere for miles.
    He shouts at him "it's ejits like you why the rest of the country calls us thick. if I could swim I'd go over there and kick the shït outta ya".

This seems very close to real life now, class.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I suspect they're taking the piss

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Why Kerry?

It should be Dublin that should be pushed off the map. They cancelled our concerts. They'll never be forgiven.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

So glad my all that tax we pay is being used to discuss the really important issues

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Who elects these people to local office? Seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

entropi wrote: »
    Who elects these people to local office? Seriously!

People in Kerry, the same people who keep voting for the Healy-Raes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Packrat

Did anyone actually read the link?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I think there doing this to highlight the issue that no progress is been made with the two by passes, I seriously doubt they believe Kerry is an island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

True or false, I smell a Healy Rae sniffing around this somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Why Kerry?

It should be Dublin that should be pushed off the map. They cancelled our concerts. They'll never be forgiven.

We don't want your forgiveness.
    Also, if Dublin was pushed off the map, who would subsidise the rest of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why Kerry?

It should be Dublin that should be pushed off the map.

Dublin people would be very happy with that arrangement

all our hard earned tax spent on the capital instead of propping up 25 unviable counties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Why Kerry?

Your attempts to crow-bar Garth Brooks into every second thread you make a contribution to is a little tiresome tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

OP, ever hear the words facetious or scarcasm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

It should be Dublin that should be pushed off the map.
    Yes please.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

jamesbere wrote: »
    I think there doing this to highlight the issue that no progress is been made with the two by passes, I seriously doubt they believe Kerry is an island.

Could they not spend more time lobbing the relevant bodies then rather than pointless motions that make the local authorities look ridiculous?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: Firstly, people may want to actually read the article. And secondly, don't start with the "My county is better than your county" rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Packrat

marco_polo wrote: »
    Could they not spend more time lobbing the relevant bodies then rather than pointless motions that make the local authorities look ridiculous?

Well having run a business there for many years, I would say that if I HAD lived on an island, I wouldn't have had to get up any earlier than I had to in order to get to either of the two nearest cities.
    It's disgusting that snails on one hand and thatch cottages on the other can impede progress for near 25 years.

I jeer when I see the "Macroom needs a bypass" signs now, - when there was money to build one, they Fcuked it up themselves with infighting over the route by vested interests.
    Fcuk yis now, - languish in my exhaust fumes as I crawl through your sh1thole of a town.

On the Adare side, - again, vested interests wouldn't have a bypass. I hope they die of asphyxiation, those baztards who have had us sitting in hours of traffic for decades so they can sell fags and coffee.

I make a point of NEVER spending a red cent in either town.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Its roads infrastructure is appaling considering the volume of tourists that visit the county along with all other traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IsaacWunder

OP, ever hear the words facetious or scarcasm?

Why stop at island, then? They could have proposed a motion that Kerry is part of the Moon. It would explain a lot off the lunacy that eliminates from the county, and they might even have attracted the attention of NASA.

My point is there is a time and place for fatuous analogies like this, and a council chamber isn't one of them. By proposing and voting on motions like this all they do is make themselves, and the people who voted for them, look thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

For those who haven't bothered to read the link, they're clearly doing it as a protest and a way to highlight problems with the road network. The councilors don't actually think Kerry is an Island. (not that it makes this motion any less stupid, mind)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Out of interest how many people are only learning about this issue because of this stunt? I know I was completely ignorant to it, now I know it's a problem. You might say it's stupid, but it is highlighting the issue.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

jamesbere wrote: »

It was a joke based on this. Seriously did no one read the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Why Kerry?

all our hard earned tax spent on the capital instead of propping up 25 unviable counties

Ouch! That had to hurt.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Your attempts to crow-bar Garth Brooks into every second thread you make a contribution to is a little tiresome tbh.

The idea of taking a crow bar to Garth Brooks appeals to me very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

So would everyone else, what with the taxes paid elsewhere not being shuttled off to Dublin for bullshit pet projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Macroom and Adare bypasses are badly needed for both Cork and Limerick as well as Kerry,So anything to highlight this is good in my books.
    Them towns are a disaster for traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Out of interest how many people are only learning about this issue because of this stunt? I know I was completely ignorant to it, now I know it's a problem. You might say it's stupid, but it is highlighting the issue.

The first hint that not the full story was not being told here came in the OP as surely no one could be that stupid. Reading the link confirms that yes indeed, there is more to this story.

I felt that, from any time I passed through Adare on my way to Kerry, it could do with a bypass but as I don't pass through all that often I never really thought about it once I was out of Adare. This is the first I've ever heard about these potential bypasses and it makes a lot of sense.

So fair play to those councillors. I don't agree with idiots carrying out stupid pointless stunts that will achieve nothing (à la Mick Wallace and Clare Daly trying to storm a US military aircraft...good work guys :rolleyes:) but this Kerry's an island business will draw attention to a worthwhile, necessary and achievable objective or possibly (if unlikely) get them "access to grant aid and special funding". So they have my support (whatever good that is).

Advertisement