Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop +

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I am not, just long enough to be here to see same **** over and over and over. Specially when threads like this are just filled with hypocrisy.

Wow, you actually paid 75 for Bloodbourne? How much did you get off with your loyalty card(destiny trade)?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭da gamer

Ah, another Gamestop is evil and eats babies for breakfast thread...

I got that Level 3 and its already payed off for it self. It was only 12 quid anyway. I trade in games now and then and it gives me better value. I dont use that return policy, but I can see how it can be useful to others though.

In the end of the day it is business to make money and if that business makes offers a service that works for you, then use it. If that offer does not suits you, then you can take your business elsewhere. Easy as that.

Then again, no point in to talking reason here, as Gamers have some sort off genetic disorder that makes them hate Gamestop no matter what. Here is a tip: if you dont like doing business with X company, then dont! That will show them!

I have only gamestop in my Town. Bloodborne was 75eu and it was almost same to get off amazon, plus it would take almost a week to arrive. I dont have any other shops in town and driving to Cork to buy a game will turn out more expensive then just going in to gamestop. I traded in a Piece of **** that was called Destiny. Tt has no collection value as it is online only game. It saved me the hassle of dealing with a a bunch of timewasters that adverts.ie is.

Nobody should be charging 75 Euro for a standard edition of a game. Nobody. That's robbery and that's why people hate gamestop.

On a positive note on gamestop I have actually got a couple of good deals off then in the past week. 4.99 for an 8gb vita card with 5 games including uncharted. And darksiders 2 for 2.98 new. So they can have the odd deal now and again. But 75 Euro is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Chaps, can we not do the gamestop bashing again? Its boring as this point, we seem to do it once a month or so. Vote with your wallet, thats all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

RasTa wrote: »
    Wow, you actually paid 75 for Bloodbourne? How much did you get off with your loyalty card(destiny trade)?

I had a very long work streak and I havent bought a game in months.

As I said, it was the only option to get it. Do I drive to Cork and spend 20eu on Petrol to buy it for 65eu? On amazon it was almost 70eu. For the sake of 5 or 10eu I might as well just go in and get it 2mins drive from my home.

I got 20eu for Destiny. On adverts I would be lucky to get that. I had 30eu gift voucher too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

I had a very long work streak and I havent bought a game in months.

As I said, it was the only option to get it. Do I drive to Cork and spend 20eu on Petrol to buy it for 65eu? On amazon it was almost 70eu. For the sake of 5 or 10eu I might as well just go in and get it 2mins drive from my home.

I got 20eu for Destiny. On adverts I would be lucky to get that. I had 30eu gift voucher too.

So it works for you, that's great, fair play. I think what people have a problem with is those who have the option of going to HMV, Xtra Vision, etc but still choose GS. If you were near another store you'd probably use it instead and be in the same boat as everyone who gives out about them.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    To be fair Mick if they sell a console, whether its second hand or not, it should work. They shouldnt be selling it if it doesn't. He has a right to be annoyed. Imagine having to return it three times. Most people would be irritated.

Fair enough Kirby

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd imagine they're cute enough to have a t/c saying that they can vary the T&Cs at any time thereafter and however they see fit. As far as I'm aware they don't strictly have to bring the changes to your attention by email, but they do have to display the new ones publically/somewhere easily accessible. Could be wrong on that last point.

Personally, I think the more people that get burnt the better (once only). Hopefully they'll stop shopping in the place and they'll be forced to operate with a more customer-friendly approach.

Bought a game in there before Xmas as a present as I'd not seen it anywhere else, still feel dirty thinking about it.

I'd say that would be different due to the price involved in signing up. Typically there might well be a notation that T&C's are subject to change without notice, but the posters husband would have strong grounds to argue that as a paid service, he paid and signed up on the agreed T&C's at the time.

What also seems to be overlooked in this cases is that storefront staff are liable for comments they make, and the onus isn't necessarily on your prove it. If a staff clerk mis-represented and misinformed you of the service, a good company would honour it(good luck with GStop honouring that) but you'd have good grounds to cancel any contract length you are currently engaged in, and potentially seek renumeration for the fee.

As a total polar opposite example, was in B&Q yesterday with herself getting gardening stuff, and they had an offer on display that was obviously out of date (was some sale from last week). A lady gently inquired if it was still and active sale or if it was a mistake, and the guy working there said it was from last week, but that there should be no problem honoring the old offer if that is what had her interested in the products.

A little touch of good Customer care goes absolute miles, companies like gamestop will inevitably fail because of not understanding this basic point( forgetting their chaotic business model that is solely based on people not copping on to how second hand sales work)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So it works for you, that's great, fair play. I think what people have a problem with is those who have the option of going to HMV, Xtra Vision, etc but still choose GS. If you were near another store you'd probably use it instead and be in the same boat as everyone who gives out about them.

There is also the problem of them having a business model that has more harmful effects to the gaming industry then piracy, a perceived horrendous customer service record, and is flippant with legislation and consumer rights.

I'd never have a problem with what people do with their cash. I really dislike the franchise but even I bought a PS4 in there, for obvious reasons. It's a console. But even with that, I had to have a barney with a store worker who was peddling horrendously misinformed information to customers about the liability of the console should it be defective.

i'm kinda over it now for sometime. I had the options of a HMV near me before it shut down, and bought everything in there since it was €45-50 on release, a good 15-20 cheaper then gamestop. When I started working in town my business moved to HMV grafton street to were consistently cheaper. then gamestop on stephens green.

And finally made the full witch to Amazon, which is just ridiculous to me how avid gamers dont use it.

Shadow I had Bloodbourne in my cart up until a few days before I cancelled the order, and it was €47. If you go to buy a new release straight off the bat then yeah it's probably on par with high street stores here, but the point of amazon is you can pre-order stuff in your cart, with no commitment until its shipped.

How many people are going to fork out 60-70 quid for the new Batman game? I'll be paying €42 from Amazon for PS4, as I threw it into my cart and made a pre-order(again with no commitment) the day it went up for order.

Again I've no beef with what people do with their money, I spend outragous amounts of garbage that would make heads spin. But there is some pretty good reasons as to why Gamestop get bashed on here, and it's proper order. Rip-off ireland is a thing for a reason you know....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Don't get me going on the cost of games in gamestop

Ok then...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hi folks,

Getting rid of a Gamestop gift voucher here worth €50 so I just bought to some Network top ups on the website.

If I buy these on the website do I get emailed a code for the top ups or do I get delivered post with the codes? I'd assume it's the former but I'm not sure now since I haven't received the email yet with the codes.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

callaway92 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Getting rid of a Gamestop gift voucher here worth €50 so I just bought to some Network top ups on the website.

If I buy these on the website do I get emailed a code for the top ups or do I get delivered post with the codes? I'd assume it's the former but I'm not sure now since I haven't received the email yet with the codes.

Thanks

Not that it matters now, but I think they email the codes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not that it matters now, but I think they email the codes :p

That's correct, they did.

I takes up to 24 working hours to receive the codes, so I was left waiting all weekend to get them haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Hi Folks just a question on this loyalty card, I fell out of consoles and all a good few years back but now the kids are coming to an age where they are getting into games so I need to get my head around it all again. We were in Gamestop after Christmas and I signed up to the scheme, I was in the shop today asking them if they do a Christmas Club because I think we're looking at a console etc this year, and the guy behind the counter told me I could load cash onto the loyalty card.

I'm here researching what exactly I get for using it now because I've collected some points on it during the year, but I can't figure out what I get for points. Do you get money off vouchers like a Tesco clubcard or is it just improved deals on trade ins and early access to games? Their site is confusing as hell on it. I see from posts Gamestop isn't too popular but I would be grateful if people would just tell me exactly what I get from the loyalty card and not start telling me to shop elsewhere. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

rpurfield wrote: »
    Hi Folks just a question on this loyalty card, I fell out of consoles and all a good few years back but now the kids are coming to an age where they are getting into games so I need to get my head around it all again. We were in Gamestop after Christmas and I signed up to the scheme, I was in the shop today asking them if they do a Christmas Club because I think we're looking at a console etc this year, and the guy behind the counter told me I could load cash onto the loyalty card.

I'm here researching what exactly I get for using it now because I've collected some points on it during the year, but I can't figure out what I get for points. Do you get money off vouchers like a Tesco clubcard or is it just improved deals on trade ins and early access to games? Their site is confusing as hell on it. I see from posts Gamestop isn't too popular but I would be grateful if people would just tell me exactly what I get from the loyalty card and not start telling me to shop elsewhere. Cheers.

Basically it's just an improved price on your trade ins. The points can also "level up" the card, so you initially get level 1 which gives you 5% extra, then you go to level 2 and level 3, each offering slightly more. Level 3 also gives you some vouchers, nothing amazing. They will try to sell you this card, you can pay to skip straight to level 3, and try to get everyone to do this. There are also occasionally offers that are available to card holders only, some for all, some only for level 3.

As said loyalty card is really only of use if trading stuff in and for offers etc.

My advice would be to get a post office savings book (I have one for myself and the little one for christmas things) and put a few euro in every week. That way your money is not tied to one shop and come christmas you have the freedom of shopping around for the best deal at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

whatever "benefits" the card offers are outweighed by the extra you'll pay to them.

their games are frequently €10+ more expensive than Argos/Smyths/Tesco, and that's without even getting into cheaper sources online.

then with the trade ins, even with the bonus they're not much better (if at all) than CeX, or what you would sell them for on Adverts.ie or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

whatever "benefits" the card offers are outweighed by the extra you'll pay to them.

their games are frequently €10+ more expensive than Argos/Smyths/Tesco, and that's without even getting into cheaper sources online.

then with the trade ins, even with the bonus they're not much better (if at all) than CeX, or what you would sell them for on Adverts.ie or similar.

Exactly. The loyalty card is basically a way to get your email address and send you lots of ads. Unfortunately, Gamestops refusal to be competitive with pricing or to treat their customers with respect looks mean their is little reason to shop there. Individual staff in the shops may be nice people, but they are held back by ridiculous company policies. It's a shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm amazed they even do enough business to keep 3 shops in Dublin city open, there must be that many clueless technophobe parents out there still :eek:

I'm on their mailing list, somehow, but i remain for comedic value really, i got a good laugh out of their recent big summer sale emails, it was just them selling the games at the normal price everywhere else does, hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Thanks for the advice folks. I've loyalty cards coming out my ears for stuff but in all of them you normally get a few bob back eventually

Advertisement