Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop +

Options
  • 11-11-2014 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Is signing up to the gamestop+ level 3 worth it?
    One week game return and 3 for the price of 2 on trade in games. €10 on your first trade in.

Is anyone a member?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

^^^^^Reason why Gamestop continue to live and rip us off.

Please don't do it, its a reason for them not to drop prices to Smyths or Amazon levels while subbing them at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What you mean exactly? The only way they get regular custom is through this??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭.red.

I bought it a few weeks ago and had a dissaster with it. The shop entered the wrong email address and i couldnt register. Call after call and they didnt seem to want to help. I was told i had to change it myself on the site but it didnt work. I emailed saying i was sold a product that wasnt fit for purpose and wanted my money back and the email address was fixed in 5 mins.
    Have a look at what games you want. I used the 3 for 2 on a ds game and saved €27 so was up a tenner.
    Just make sure your emaill address is right on your reciept leaving the shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trilla wrote: »
    Hey all,

Is signing up to the gamestop+ level 3 worth it?
    One week game return and 3 for the price of 2 on trade in games. €10 on your first trade in.

Is anyone a member?

You're essentially paying them so they can get more newer trade-ins which they can sell for about €5 less than a new one so they can make more money and take money away from the publishers/developers.

So on a personal level, it's probably worth it. For the industry as a whole, not a f*cking chance is it worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Penn wrote: »
    So on a personal level, it's probably worth it. For the industry as a whole, not a f*cking chance is it worth it.

Probably through my own laziness, naivety and ignorance I never really saved much when buying games over the year... so taking advantage of gamestop here with the one week return on a few 15 - 20 quid pre owned games for a bit is something I might do.

I do recall one instance where I could buy 2 pre owned and get virtual tennis free, and then GAME took €9 off me for virtual tennis and €2 more for the 2 other games. I made a few quid off of that but it didn't last long. Its no surprise GAME didn't last long either!

• Advertisement

Also, I'd just add they do put a limit on using the one-week return if you use it too often. When a GS employee was trying to convince me to sign up, he told me they had one guy who'd do it every week, sometimes even twice a week. Just bring back the week-old game and grab another one. So they limited him to only being able to return a game every second week.

Just to note, if it's not working out in their best interests, they will change the rules on you.

Trilla wrote: »
    What you mean exactly? The only way they get regular custom is through this??

I will give you honest advice instead of Gamestop bashing. The other thread is there for that to be honest.

If you buy the level 3 card for 16 squid (I think) then when you trade in you get best trade prices.

I traded in Shadow of Mordor with my level 3 card and got 69.99 trade credit back. (I actually purchased Shadow of Mordor in Smyths for less). It covered the cost fully for Halo: TMCC.

I think it's about loyalty. I mentioned before in the other thread that if you are willing to initially spend a heavy price for a retail game, but if you do trade it back to GameStop you will get you moneys worth.

For me, I spent 70 euros but got both games for it.

*Edit* Make sure you give them the correct email address. (The guy in my local store initially put in the wrong address).
    They send 10 euro trade in vouchers that you can also use. I got 50 euros credit for Mario Kart 8 with the voucher. It retails for 59.99 in the shop I think. So again not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I used the €10 voucher to trade in Kameo elements of power..... no way they will see €10 back on that one :pac:

I'd have got 50c for it without the voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I like the gamestop loyalty card, when I shop in there. Its handy having all your credit and what not tied to one account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 zeemeee

I hate Game Stop. Made a mistake and bought a used XBOX 360 from them last weekend. Long story short - I had to return 3 (threee!) of them throughout the day!!! Each one replacing the other for different problems. I was going bananas. I asked for something from the store as a good will gesture as they had made me come back 3 times (yes its still three!!) and there response was an unequivocal NO. Bunch of useless knobs!!!!

• Advertisement

^sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lisa78

I know this thred is a bit old but just to see if anyone knows about this - I can start a new thread if needed - just let me know!

My husband bought the new Battlefield game over the weekend but couldn't get into it so decided to bring it back with his level 3 loyalty card and get the money back with the satisfication returns guarantee.
    When he bought the level 3 card, the guy in the shop had given his the spiel about how great it was and it was worth paying €16.99 to level up, he told us that you just bring a game back within a week and you get the money back - that was the only thing on it that really would have made it worthwhile for my husband.
    When we went into the store yesterday, they told us it only works for pre-owned games.
    They had the leaflet with a list of benefits for each level stuck to the counter and it didn't say anything there about it - then I checked the website last night, the same leaflet updated to say pre-owned. My husband is going to follow up on it but I was just wondering if anyone else had come across this.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    ^sigh

To be fair Mick if they sell a console, whether its second hand or not, it should work. They shouldnt be selling it if it doesn't. He has a right to be annoyed. Imagine having to return it three times. Most people would be irritated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 zeemeee

Worst customer service you can imagine.
    That is typical of what I have been hearing about this company.

Lisa78 wrote: »
    I know this thred is a bit old but just to see if anyone knows about this - I can start a new thread if needed - just let me know!

My husband bought the new Battlefield game over the weekend but couldn't get into it so decided to bring it back with his level 3 loyalty card and get the money back with the satisfication returns guarantee.
    When he bought the level 3 card, the guy in the shop had given his the spiel about how great it was and it was worth paying €16.99 to level up, he told us that you just bring a game back within a week and you get the money back - that was the only thing on it that really would have made it worthwhile for my husband.
    When we went into the store yesterday, they told us it only works for pre-owned games.
    They had the leaflet with a list of benefits for each level stuck to the counter and it didn't say anything there about it - then I checked the website last night, the same leaflet updated to say pre-owned. My husband is going to follow up on it but I was just wondering if anyone else had come across this.
    Thanks
    Bad Horse wrote: »
    Just to note, if it's not working out in their best interests, they will change the rules on you.

Doesn't surprise me in the least tbh. And in previous instances where they were trying to get me to sign up, they definitely said it applied to new releases.

Did your husband ever get any email saying the terms and conditions had changed? If not, I'd go back to them and tell them that as they didn't inform him the T&C had changed, they should honour the T&C applicable to when he signed up, as that was partially the reason he signed up and he bought Battlefield under the impression that those T&C were still applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The idea of paying more for a better "loyalty" card is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Phew, i'm off work tomorrow and Monday, wasn't sure if I was actually gonna get my weekly dose of Gamestop bashing, but well, here we are again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

You have to pay for this? I am pretty sure I have one around here some place, and didn't pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

wes wrote: »
    You have to pay for this? I am pretty sure I have one around here some place, and didn't pay for it.

The first level is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You get a card for free I think and you get points for treading in and/or buying. If you do that enough to get to lvl 3 with better rewards or you can just pay 17ish to get lvl 3.

Im tempted by it but would really only use it to get a game each week and return it. Only pre owned games restricts it a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Doesn't surprise me in the least tbh. And in previous instances where they were trying to get me to sign up, they definitely said it applied to new releases.

Did your husband ever get any email saying the terms and conditions had changed? If not, I'd go back to them and tell them that as they didn't inform him the T&C had changed, they should honour the T&C applicable to when he signed up, as that was partially the reason he signed up and he bought Battlefield under the impression that those T&C were still applicable.

I'd imagine they're cute enough to have a t/c saying that they can vary the T&Cs at any time thereafter and however they see fit. As far as I'm aware they don't strictly have to bring the changes to your attention by email, but they do have to display the new ones publically/somewhere easily accessible. Could be wrong on that last point.

Personally, I think the more people that get burnt the better (once only). Hopefully they'll stop shopping in the place and they'll be forced to operate with a more customer-friendly approach.

Bought a game in there before Xmas as a present as I'd not seen it anywhere else, still feel dirty thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The first level is free.

Just checked my wallet, and have a level 3 grey card. Didn't pay for it. Was upgraded when I bought some hardware I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Ya it used to be like that get money back on new game after a week, was talking to a staff member last year about it and asked were they still doing it, she said inland revenue had got on to Gamestop about it and it was breaking the law selling the same game twice really, how they managed to get away for so long crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ya it used to be like that get money back on new game after a week, was talking to a staff member last year about it and asked were they still doing it, she said inland revenue had got on to Gamestop about it and it was breaking the law selling the same game twice really, how they managed to get away for so long crazy.

I'm no accountant, but that ain't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Just checked my wallet, and have a level 3 grey card. Didn't pay for it. Was upgraded when I bought some hardware I think.

Yeah, I'm, pretty sure you can get to lvl 3 by just buying Engrams from Gamestop but it takes a lot longer as you need to rack up like 1,000 points or something so most people look at this real world equivilent of a micro transaction as a viable alternative. Warframe and Candy Crush should come free and preinstalled on any system a person who buys their way to level 3 gets

I'd imagine they're cute enough to have a t/c saying that they can vary the T&Cs at any time thereafter and however they see fit. As far as I'm aware they don't strictly have to bring the changes to your attention by email, but they do have to display the new ones publically/somewhere easily accessible. Could be wrong on that last point.

Personally, I think the more people that get burnt the better (once only). Hopefully they'll stop shopping in the place and they'll be forced to operate with a more customer-friendly approach.

Bought a game in there before Xmas as a present as I'd not seen it anywhere else, still feel dirty thinking about it.

Yeah, had a quick look at their website:
    We may change these Terms from time to time by posting revised Terms on the Website. Your use of the Website after these revised Terms have been posted signifies your acceptance and agreement to be bound by the revised Terms. GameStop may in its discretion at any time immediately terminate, temporarily or permanently, these Terms or your permission to access and use the Website.

I'm guessing their printed T&C in the shop probably says something similar. By using the shop you agree to the revised T&C.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lisa78

Yeah, that's what he's planning to do. We were just starting to doubt ourselves, so thanks for letting me know they told you the same thing about new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ah, another Gamestop is evil and eats babies for breakfast thread...

I got that Level 3 and its already payed off for it self. It was only 12 quid anyway. I trade in games now and then and it gives me better value. I dont use that return policy, but I can see how it can be useful to others though.

In the end of the day it is business to make money and if that business makes offers a service that works for you, then use it. If that offer does not suits you, then you can take your business elsewhere. Easy as that.

Then again, no point in to talking reason here, as Gamers have some sort off genetic disorder that makes them hate Gamestop no matter what. Here is a tip: if you dont like doing business with X company, then dont! That will show them!

I have only gamestop in my Town. Bloodborne was 75eu and it was almost same to get off amazon, plus it would take almost a week to arrive. I dont have any other shops in town and driving to Cork to buy a game will turn out more expensive then just going in to gamestop. I traded in a Piece of **** that was called Destiny. Tt has no collection value as it is online only game. It saved me the hassle of dealing with a a bunch of timewasters that adverts.ie is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Ah, another Gamestop is evil and eats babies for breakfast thread...

I got that Level 3 and its already payed off for it self. It was only 12 quid anyway. I trade in games now and then and it gives me better value. I dont use that return policy, but I can see how it can be useful to others though.

In the end of the day it is business to make money and if that business makes offers a service that works for you, then use it. If that offer does not suits you, then you can take your business elsewhere. Easy as that.

Then again, no point in to talking reason here, as Gamers have some sort off genetic disorder that makes them hate Gamestop no matter what. Here is a tip: if you dont like doing business with X company, then dont! That will show them!

I have only gamestop in my Town. Bloodborne was 75eu and it was almost same to get off amazon, plus it would take almost a week to arrive. I dont have any other shops in town and driving to Cork to buy a game will turn out more expensive then just going in to gamestop. I traded in a Piece of **** that was called Destiny. Tt has no collection value as it is online only game. It saved me the hassle of dealing with a a bunch of timewasters that adverts.ie is.

You're a very angry man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You're a very angry man!

I am not, just long enough to be here to see same **** over and over and over. Specially when threads like this are just filled with hypocrisy.

Advertisement