Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Ireland's oldest citizen

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

A child born today should live to see 2114 with ease

Is there to be a ban on Scania trucks?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Karl Stein wrote: »
    That's only 24 in Dog years.
    A 24 year old dog would be ~108 in human years. I guess we're not as evolved as we like to think we are if dogs can outlive us with relative ease.

Go back to bed, you're clearly still drunk. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

That's where you have it all wrong. I'm retired and it is the best time of my life. I can do anything I want, when I want. I have zero stress and can enjoy all the great things in life. The more years in retirement the better.

Fair juice to ya. Arrogance of youth on my part perhaps but I'd rather not live to that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Nice age to get to! Born before independance, first 50 years of his life he witnessed some amount of events! I hope someone documented his memories at some stage id say he had great stories to tell!

RIP
    All is not lost as they can always ask the oldest citizen he's 107 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

o1s1n wrote: »
    Go back to bed, you're clearly still drunk. :pac:

No Sir, sober.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I just don't want to be a blubbering mess, filling me nappy with poo when I'm old.

Unless I turn into a right grumpy bastard and want to teach those whipper-snapper nurses a lesson or two :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No Sir, sober.

Off to the pub with you then!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

A 24 year old dog would be ~108 in human years. I guess we're not as evolved as we like to think we are if dogs can outlive us with relative ease.

I thought a 24 year old dog would be 168 in human years

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Phenomenal age to reach.

Funny......but by the time a kid born today reaches 108, he/she will probably still be working and 138 will be the new "phenomenal age to reach".

They'll look back on old Luke and say "He died young enough, like!"

What I'd like to know is did we have any centegenarians who spanned the 19th,20th and 21st centuries? We must have had. Some trick to be able to say you saw the turn of the century TWICE, AND the turn or the millenium :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Imagine living to be 108 and hearing that the only thing some people can think about is how old you would be if you were a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

My work here is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

A 24 year old human is 168 in dog years.

He'd have been 756 in dog years. Fair play to him. Although how long did he lift the pension for? How much would he have claimed?

EDIT: Snakey Math edit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

To borrow a line from Only Fools and Horses

"108. That's a great age."

"It wasn't for him. He died."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Egginacup wrote: »
    What I'd like to know is did we have any centegenarians who spanned the 19th,20th and 21st centuries? We must have had. Some trick to be able to say you saw the turn of the century TWICE, AND the turn or the millenium :p

Quite a few, actually - there's a web page here with their details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

iDave wrote: »
    Fair juice to ya. Arrogance of youth on my part perhaps but I'd rather not live to that age.

That is one of the saddest things I have read on boards for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

A 24 year old human is 108 in dog years.

He'd have been 756 in dog years. Fair play to him

7 x 24= 168, surely?

And 108 x 7 = 756?

They eat dogs in Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I don't think nature intended people to live so long I know how I feel working
    24/7, stress, paying bills etc im only in my late 40's im knackered maybe if I had an easy, privileged life I'd like to live past 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Well once I'm healthy I would like to live as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Great interview with 100-year-old American lady by Jay Leno here - her marbles and sense of humour are fully intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Egginacup wrote: »

This list includes some:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_supercentenarians

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 AreWeAlone

Egginacup wrote:
    What I'd like to know is did we have any centegenarians who spanned the 19th,20th and 21st centuries?
    Quite a few, actually - there's a web page here with their details.

I see now on the same web page that the oldest woman in the state died on Saturday, 109 years and 296 days:

Can't post the link above but it's here: finbarrconnolly.com

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

some yank aul lad was a bangin a hole in one at 102

hats off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

When you hear of these women who had 14+ children, and lived into their 90's... hard, hard women. These would have been women born into households where they didn't even have a proper working jacks, and if they did, it was outside.

God forbid if you had a dose of the trots in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

AreWeAlone wrote: »
    I see now on the same web page that the oldest woman in the state died on Saturday, 109 years and 296 days:

Can't post the link above but it's here: finbarrconnolly.com

That makes her older than Luke Dolan which means the original article I posted is slightly inaccurate. There was also a nun died in the US last May age 109 but she emigrated there in 1925.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

That's where you have it all wrong. I'm retired and it is the best time of my life. I can do anything I want, when I want. I have zero stress and can enjoy all the great things in life. The more years in retirement the better.

Thirteen years for me. I intend to hit it young at heart and in mind. Like you it seems. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

That is one of the saddest things I have read on boards for some time.

All about quality of life. And attitude. Some people are middle aged at 30. Others 70.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Surely if born in 1906 that makes him British not Irish...

(said the agent provocateur)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

My Grandfather made it to 103. The last 12-18 months of his life were pretty miserable, but he had a fine quality of life until he was 101-102. He used to walk for miles and loved rasher fat and whiskey.

Advertisement