Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time article shows men more likely to be abused online then women

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Lads will argue and dish out **** between each other probley more then women do. It's hard to tell what goes on fully online but I'd say as with most things it depends who and where it's coming from. Some sites will be all men some be all women!
    yea,and I imagine if a minority, in terms of gender, were on the receiving end of the "usual" daily dosage that is considered acceptable (maybe not acceptable but has been normalised) by the majority, it might be safe to say they could perceive it as a gender thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

pharmaton wrote: »
    yea,and I imagine if a minority, in terms of gender, were on the receiving end of the "usual" daily dosage that is considered acceptable (maybe not acceptable but has been normalised) by the majority, it might be safe to say they could perceive it as a gender thing.

I'd be curious to see what kinda number of the people abusing and being abused are teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Will probably get attacked for this, but my own view is that sometimes people with agendas automatically frame certain online abuse as "because of X" without any evidence of that. This doesn't just apply to feminists, there are a lot of demographics which do this without considering that, as someone said in the other thread, people might be "equal opportunities trolls".

In other words... If I get attacked, I'm not going to say "I got attacked because I'm a guy" or "I got attacked because I'm Irish". Certain others like to run with that without any evidence to stir sh!t up, in my view.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Chunners wrote: »
    The Misogynists are on fire today lol
    Reds under the bed and all that. TBH I'm getting really fcuking dog tired of this imported US dramalamma gender war bullshít. I really fcuking am. On both sides. Keyboard victims all over the bloody place. Give it a bloody rest and go out and engage with real people FFS. Or better yet, take your agendas and stuff them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I don't think this is quite similar to anything we've had so far though? As in it's an actual article that isn't biased in one way or another and it's brought up some interesting results that can be discussed. If it get's too bad I'll gladly want it to be closed

Most of them have potential for good discussion, The problem is most of them lead to some people claiming crap like all woman are slut and others claiming you either agree with them or are the problem. Its like any traveler or dole thread, although we dont have a sticky about those two yet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement