Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time article shows men more likely to be abused online then women

Options
  • 10-11-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭

Before I even start this discussion I don't want it to be the usual "feminism vs MRA" style crap we have been getting recently, or about how males have it worse than women. The article shows that men are slightly more likely to receive abuse online.
    The Pew online harassment study, based on a survey of nearly 3,000 Internet users last June, found that 44 percent of men and 37 percent of women had experienced some form of online abuse, from name-calling to physical threats and stalking. The biggest gender gap was in the fairly mild category of being called offensive names, experienced by nearly a third of men on the Internet but only 22 percent of female users. However, more men—10 percent, compared to 6 percent of women—also reported being physically threatened. Women were more likely than men to say they had been sexually harassed (9 percent versus 6 percent) and stalked (10 percent versus 7 percent); sustained harassment was reported by 8 percent of men and 7 percent of women. Interestingly, the survey also found that people perceived most online spaces to be female-friendly; 18 percent even said that the social media were more “welcoming” to women than to men, while only five percent agreed with the reverse.

Meanwhile many articles on the study emphasized the perils for women. Sample headlines: “Pew: Women Suffering Online Harassment Worse Than Men.” “For Women, the Internet Can Be a Scary Place.” “Everyone’s a Jerk to Everyone Online, But Young Women Have It the Worst.” Some commentators even expressed frustration and disbelief that so few Netizens saw online life as a hostile environment for women.

The rest of the article is an extremely interesting view of how online media and journalistic pieces make it out like women get a lot more abuse than males.

What I think about this is that both sides (both female and males) receive abuse online. But that's the nature of the internet. The anonymity, facelessness of the online community makes it a lot easier for the darker side of us to come out because of no fear of repercussion. Obviously both sexes should report anything like credible threats or stalking to the relevant authorities but apart from that it's best to just ignore it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

I don't want it to be the usual "feminism vs MRA" style crap

Best of luck with that, bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

impossible as there are no women on the interweb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Best of luck with that, bud.
    I know, optimistic or what? But still, better to put it there and see what happens then to seem to endorse it I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

Obviously both sexes should report anything like credible threats or stalking to the relevant authorities but apart from that it's best to just ignore it.

Perhaps the fact that the article reports women are more upset by online insults and harassment - i.e. less willing to 'ignore it' - than men may explain some of the disparate public reaction...and some poster reactions on boards as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Perhaps the fact that the article reports women are more upset by online insults and harassment - i.e. less willing to 'ignore it' - than men may explain some of the disparate public reaction...and some poster reactions on boards as well.

And where off!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

These threads are like a hydra. The mods cut one down and more take its place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Would it be fair to say that men are more likely to get into arguments online? Whereas all a woman has to do to receive a torrent of (often gender-based) abuse is express an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

These threads are like a hydra. The mods cut one down and more take its place.
    I don't think this is quite similar to anything we've had so far though? As in it's an actual article that isn't biased in one way or another and it's brought up some interesting results that can be discussed. If it get's too bad I'll gladly want it to be closed

RayM wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say that men are more likely to get into arguments online? Whereas all a woman has to do to receive a torrent of (often gender-based) abuse is express an opinion.

No not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

No not really.

Okay. Let's not argue about it.

• Advertisement

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I don't think this is quite similar to anything we've had so far though? As in it's an actual article that isn't biased in one way or another and it's brought up some interesting results that can be discussed. If it get's too bad I'll gladly want it to be closed

The article is grand and if there wasn't so many mongos in here maybe we could actually talk in a civil manor about it but ya :p.

RayM wrote: »
    Okay. Let's not argue about it.

:pac: Dont worry im not going to. I just think it can come from either side man or woman. Where all the same in that there's gonna be people who love arguing and starting fights man or woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I don't know about other site dynamics, but boards has an oerwhelming majority male user base. the last census here shows an 81% to 18% ratio of male to female. Digest that for a minute. These stats are important.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The article is grand and if there wasn't so many mongos in here maybe we could actually talk in a civil manor about it but ya :p.

Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Is that not because there are more men online than women anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Brillant, which are the "mongos" by the way?

Disgraceful comment, highly offensive to those of a mental disability.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Fantastic.

That was nicest word I could think of to describe some the fools had in After Hours lately.

Seriously it could be a great place to talk about so many different topics but it's been ruined lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Percentages.

The link above doesn't make clear who the main contributors of abuse are, are men more likely to be abused, bullied and harrassed by other men or women and vice versa? It suggests that there is a sexual element but it's not very clear. If there are larger numbers of men on boards for example, would that suggest that men are generally more inclined to abuse each other and if so how to come up with solutions for same? (rather than turning it into a gender issue?..again?)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That was nicest word I could think of to describe some the fools had in After Hours lately.

Seriously it could be a great place to talk about so many different topics but it's been ruined lately.

It's anything but nice to be honest. Using that is as ignorant as anything these so called fools would say. Just smacks of a time when people would say 'coon' or the likes in casual ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

pharmaton wrote: »
    I don't know about other site dynamics, but boards has an oerwhelming majority male user base. the last census here shows an 81% to 18% ratio of male to female. Digest that for a minute. These stats are important.

OK, I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, or how this is inconsistent with what I or the article said...:confused:

OK, I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, or how this is inconsistent with what I or the article said...:confused:
    see post 22 above. You referred to poster reactions on boards, which I quoted in my response.

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's anything but nice to be honest. Using that is as ignorant as anything these so called fools would say. Just smacks of a time when people would say 'coon' or the likes in casual ways.

Right ok I know. I didn't mean it as an insult to anyone with disabilities etc. It be an insult to them to compare them to some the people hanging around.

Anyway no point dragging this off topic I'm just hoping we can have one conversation in here that doesn't lead to you know what!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

The Misogynists are on fire today lol

It could be a lot to do with the numbers but at the same time it's hard to know.

What I do know is having spent many hours in chat rooms and forums over the years women give it just as good as men do when it comes to arguing online!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Who is doing the abusing?

Men of other men?
    Women of men?

It could be a lot to do with the numbers but at the same time it's hard to know.

What I do know is having spent many hours in chat rooms and forums over the years women give it just as good as men do when it comes to arguing online!
    I agree! but as I tend to use boards more than any other site, the majority of it is from men! (as it has a larger male user base)
    and i try to stay away from the women parts of the site :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Chunners wrote: »
    The Misogynists are on fire today lol

Oh, for fuck sake, can you not say any God damn thing without being made out to be bigoted in some way? "Lol" indeed, it's hilarious, I bet you're a riot at every party.

pharmaton wrote: »
    I agree! but as I tend to use boards more than any other site, the majority of it is from men! (as it has a larger male user base)

Lads will argue and dish out **** between each other probley more then women do. It's hard to tell what goes on fully online but I'd say as with most things it depends who and where it's coming from. Some sites will be all men some be all women!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Don't know that the Time article is correct. When you look at the kind of stuff that's happened to Kathy Sierra, for instance - rape threats, death threats, her face photoshopped onto corpses, etc, which have actually driven this talented woman offline - you'd wonder.

Advertisement