Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm too young for a midlife crisis

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Not worried about the result. It wasn't ever a flat out race. It's about being sensible enough to see the negatives of racing - the risk of prolonging being sick or relapsing and missing further training.
    How sick are you? Be realistic. Sometimes pre race mindfecks can make you feel worse than you actually are, and the race might be the physical shake up and boost you need, heading in to the big 'un in June. Which is the bigger risk factor, the mental dent a bailout will cause (and trust me it does) or the possible physical dent to your health?

Like I said before, Im the one signed off indefinitely through ill health, so you dont have to listen to me.... ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is there a particular scale I can use to define how sick I am? I doubt getting sick a week ago was pre-race mindfecks...I don't get pre-race jitters, not for triathlon, I do for run races. I've trained and raced through stupider things than probably anyone I know...stupid mistakes make one cautious.
    Not doing it won't affect me mentally, it wasn't really on my radar, sure I only entered a couple of weeks ago for the physical benefit going into IM (and the enjoyment). I've tried training and racing with this. Absolutely nothing enjoyable or beneficial about it.

All sorts of advice thrown at me this week. Little of it requested :D Ranges from complete rest for a few days to sure go out and race it.

Easy 25 minute run this evening. Same run as Wednesday. Head still muggy. Stomach still ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

No point doing Athy if its going to affect bigger plans. So base everything on those bigger plans. Would doing the Athy swim only help the bigger plans? At race pace, or as a practice? Would doing the swim+bike help? Or would skipping Athy altogether be the best thing for your A race?

You're the only one who can answer that, don't mind anyone else advice.

Have to say M, this log all sounds very much like a midlife crisis to me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Hope your feeling better today RQ and that you've made the right call for you and for the bigger picture, the A race in a few weeks.

If you're out there now, hope it's going well :)

Good show hooch! :)

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    Hope your feeling better today RQ and that you've made the right call for you and for the bigger picture, the A race in a few weeks.

If you're out there now, hope it's going well :)

I did swim and bike. I was merrily saying the whole way through the bike that I would not do the run. That's my compromise...got off the bike and thought maybe just one lap :D
    Swim a little slow, bike fine - came out of the water just behind one of the girls I swim in the same lane as so perhaps the flow was stronger than it felt.
    Reckon I'd have run well off the bike, legs were in good nick as I ran across transition to the cafe for food. :pac:

Bike course not great. Roads in Athy are sh*te.

A smart day out... looking good for the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I did swim and bike. I was merrily saying the whole way through the bike that I would not do the run. That's my compromise...got off the bike and thought maybe just one lap :D
    Swim a little slow, bike fine - came out of the water just behind one of the girls I swim in the same lane as so perhaps the flow was stronger than it felt.
    Reckon I'd have run well off the bike, legs were in good nick as I ran across transition to the cafe for food. :pac:

Wohoo, well done, that was a great compromise and took ballz to stick to your guns and not do the run :) and you felt strong off the bike to boot so the run would have been no bother to you. Bodes well for the A race?
    Bike course not great. Roads in Athy are sh*te.

Oh god, the rattling you got on bad roads, not good, not good at all :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Proud of you, RQ!! This sets you up very well for the big one. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

Sensible decision and benefit gained, good result all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Sounds like a sensible approach, glad it worked out!

Looking more and more like a skins swim... how does that suit you?

Oryx wrote: »
    Looking more and more like a skins swim... how does that suit you?

Wouldn't be too worried. I'll be slower obviously but it'd be fine - maybe I should so a shoiteload of balance drills for the next 16 days.

Sh*t.

16 days! :eek:

Wouldn't be too worried. I'll be slower obviously but it'd be fine - maybe I should so a shoiteload of balance drills for the next 16 days.

Sh*t.

16 days! :eek:
    Im jealous! Its an awesome place to do a non wetsuit swim. Youll love it.

16 days??!! :eek: Good god time goes fast!! Is cw's race the weekend after yours then?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    16 days??!! :eek: Good god time goes fast!! Is cw's race the weekend after yours then?

Nah CW is the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

What are ye on about

28-9 = 17 days

Loads of time :D

Still wasn't feeling the may west the week after Athy. Concious that it was three weeks since my last proper long bike and proper long run as I'd had an easier week the week before I was sick I set out last weekend to nail both down. The long run was hard. One of, if not the hardest long run I've done, but it was warm and the air was heavy. During the last 20 minutes my stomach starting doing that annoying thing it does where it decides it want's to leave my body via my abdominal muscles. Excrutiating. Annoying. Thought for a while that perhaps I'd picked up the caffeine shot blocks rather than the normal ones and spent the last 20 mins of my run fearing I'd have to give up caffeine. Thankfully (?) they were the plain ones and my body was just being a d*ck.

Sunday was long bike day - so out on the bike. Careful with nutrution and did the old route out towards Dunboyne and round meath before heading to the park for a couple of laps, back to Sandyford and then into Enniskerry and beyond to throw some hills into my tired legs. Stomach, again...not doing me any favours on this and nutrition wasn't focused as I'd resigned myself to being in too much pain to run off the bike. As I hit my last 40k or so I decided to start fueling up again...just in case I could run off the bike.
    Got home and had a longer transition than normal, sucked it up and off I went. Worst run off the bike I've done, full stop, during Austria training. Slow, painful, uncomfortable.

Training this week has been ok - stomach still at me and not overly comfortable while running. So, I missed much of 6 weeks to go to 3 weeks to go which would have been the big weeks so that gave the confidence a big kick in the teeth. But, there is nothing I can do...and it's better than getting sick now! Trying to keep smart now for the next two weeks.
    Making the start line was always going to be my biggest hurdle and as my run coach said, I've done a lot more training and got a lot more consistency in than I have in a loonnnng time.

Part of me can't contain my excitement, part of me wishes I had another 12 weeks as I really don't want to stop training. :D

Where the hell has the last year of my life gone? :eek:

Feeling all the niggles and all the tiredness...none of the scareds

Tipping away this week, good swims, good runs, good bikes...good foods...weight still dropping a bit (though I didn't put enough effort into this part :D)
    This time next week I'll be over there...wondering if it will hit me then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Wow - almost there.

You are gonna love it....

• Advertisement

Cool as a breeze. :) Thats how to do it. Enjoy it all. :)

This time next week, I'll be cursing my bike all going well I'll be over 5 hours into the bike!

Last TT spin yesterday, in the rain...had to give the bike another shower when I got back! Bike and race gear are now enroute. Still need to pick up a bit of nutrition but can bring that in hand luggage.

This time next week, I'll be cursing my bike all going well I'll be over 5 hours into the bike!

Last TT spin yesterday, in the rain...had to give the bike another shower when I got back! Bike and race gear are now enroute. Still need to pick up a bit of nutrition but can bring that in hand luggage.

And nearly ready for your flying dismount! ;)

How you feeling???

Dory Dory wrote: »
    How you feeling???

Tired!! :)

Best of luck to you this weekend! Enjoy the entire experience from start to finish! Looking forward to tracking you, and to hearing all about your day!! :)

SUMMER HOLIDAY!!!!!

I have the paper open to a page that advertises Highlights of Austria right now. It seems like a good omen. Enjoy it, I doubt you will ever find another race as spectacularly beautiful, this is your weekend, youve earned it... go smash it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Best of luck RQ - when are you flying out - are you going out today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of Luck M. Enjoy yourself!

Advertisement