Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were to die tomorrow, what would be your parting wish?

Options
  • 09-11-2014 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Read a really sad story this evening. Life is so precious and we always take it for granted. I'd just want my loved ones at my side, no more, no less.
    A cancer patient has died after a final farewell to her favourite horse outside the hospital where she was treated.

Staff at Royal Albert Edward Infirmary in Wigan granted Sheila Marsh's last wish, by arranging a visit from two of her horses on Monday afternoon.

The hospital said the 77-year-old, unable to speak properly due to illness, "gently called" her favourite horse, who then nuzzled her cheek.

Mrs Marsh, who used to work at Haydock Park Racecourse, died early on Tuesday.

The grandmother from Wigan had six horses, three dogs, three cats and other animals.

But after a farewell visit from one of her dogs last weekend, she told hospital staff of her wish to see her favourite horse Bronwen, who she had looked after for the previous 25 years.

They arranged for Bronwen and another horse to come to the hospital car park, where nurses wheeled Mrs Marsh in her bed.

Infirmary nurse Gail Taylor said: "The horse, Bronwen, walked steadily towards Sheila.

"Sheila gently called to Bronwen and the horse bent down tenderly and kissed her on the cheek as they said their last goodbyes."

Hospital staff and relatives shed tears as Mrs Marsh said farewell to her horses

Mrs Marsh's daughter Tina said: "It was very important for my mum. She was one of the most hard-working people that you could meet and she would do anything for anyone."

Pauline Law, deputy director of nursing, said staff felt privileged to have been involved.

"This was obviously extremely important to [Mrs Marsh] and her family and we feel privileged to have been able to provide this support at this crucial stage of her care," she said.

"It is absolutely right that we should pull out all the stops to ensure that our patients and their families receive personalized, compassionate and dignified care at the end of their life and this is what we will always strive to achieve."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Hitchens

When I die, I want to go like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep...............not screaming like the passengers in his car at the time. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

I can safely say it wouldn't be a horse nuzzling my neck anyway........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

That story got huge publicity, and rightly so.

Nice to see those carers genuinely putting the patient's wishes first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

full time after seeing Waterford hammer Kilkenny/tipp in the all Ireland final

im going to live forever aren't i:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Clear my browsing history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Nib wrote: »
    Clear my browsing history.

Jesus man... that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

myshirt wrote: »
    Jesus man... that bad?
    There's dark corners of the internet where nobody deserves to be subjected to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

To be hung on the nearest farm gate as warning to other trespassers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Quintus, free my men. Senator Gracchus is to be reinstated. There was a dream that was Rome, it shall be realized. These are the wishes of Marcus Aurelius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I'd love to be buried in Taylor Swift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

And please, for the love of god, burn Dublin to the ground :) (just kidding)

Hitchens wrote: »
    When I die, I want to go like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep...............not screaming like the passengers in his car at the time. :pac:

I laughed manically after reading that.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Morphine. Lots and lots of morphine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Very touching story op.

Very decent of the hospital staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

A pint of beamish in McCoy's with bella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

That humanity would free itself from its mad invention called god.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

To stay alive.

myshirt wrote: »
    Jesus man... that bad?

What we do in live echo's for an eternity. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

That humanity would free itself from its mad invention called god.

I'd say you're a right laugh at parties.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

To be able to come back and haunt some of the people that have deliberately done me down over the years.

To be able to act as a guardian angel to my grandchildren

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I wish for my relatives and friends to use my death as an excuse for a good party where everyone laughs and nobody would mourn my passing. If anyone asks, tell them they're crying for joy, not sadness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I'd love to be buried with Taylor Swift.

That would be a pricey plot I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lilblankdress2

I had a patient once who was actively dying for 11 days. All of his family had come to see him and he was still holding on. After many discussions with the family we decided that they could bring his dog in to the hospital for a few minutes.

They brought in his dog wrapped in a fleecy blanket, my patient didn't even react as he hadn't to anything in 11 days so we didn't even know if he knew the dog was there or not...

He died 10 minutes after the dog left.

When we laid him out for the family I put the dogs fleecy blanket up around his chest, he was finally at peace.

I met that patients daughter a couple of months ago and she told me that she still has the fleecy blanket on her bed.

Was a great experience to have early on in my career as it taught me a lot

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I have signed up to be donated to medical science so would hope OH would honor that.

If I get the chance to tell all my family and loved ones how much they mean to me, one last time before I go, then I'll die content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

To be able to act as a guardian angel to my grandchildren

This brought a tear to my eye. It's something I think about too much, worrying about my kids when I'm gone. They make me want to live forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I have signed up to be donated to medical science so would hope OH would honor that.
    ......is it true that science are contesting the will? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

A MiG-29UM and a quarter tank of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Dying in a hospital or surrounded by people does not sound appealing, I don't mind the horse though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

My Da died in hospital. I was 15 minutes too late because of traffic. I have never forgiven myself. I hope the roads are clear if i'm dying and my kids are on their way. Or they have a faster car than I had.

Advertisement