Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspended sentence and fine for student who made 'wicked' false rape claim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

unkel wrote: »
    Thankfully no man was arrested / accused.

From the opening piece;
    “The sinister element of the (alleged) crime is that a person she alleged committed the act was an actual real person that she had encountered,” he said

Gardai were "close to making an arrest".

• Registered Users Posts: 65,151 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I missed that. Thanks RobYourBuilder. Thankfully that man wasn't arrested :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

She's obviously in need of serious psychiatric help.
    The poor girl.dont think she's going to get it in prison.

Most criminals are in need of psychiatric help. Generally none of them get it in prison. While I would support improving the availability of such care for convicted ceiminals I'm not sure what makes this particular criminal special in any way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

similar enough circumstances to make a connection and ask a question without being told to feck of in so many words...

You're dead right. I thought the poster was engaging in whataboutery. Apologies to the poster fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

This is why people accused of crimes like this should have their identity hidden until proven guilty.

Just to clarify I mean people accused of rape, in this case some men only had to explain where they were but often this sort of thing is aimed at particular people who have their names in the media and then turns out they're innocent.

My understanding is that in Ireland the accused does have a right to anonymity, though others may correct me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

From the opening piece;

Gardai were "close to making an arrest".

They didn't make an arrest though, did they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

unkel wrote: »
    A few lies that got completely out of hand and when the Gardai were involved there wasn't an easy way out anymore. Thankfully no man was arrested / accused. Pretty harsh sentence as it is imho (and a crininal conviction). She won't do it again for sure, no need to lock her up any further.
    The most sensible comment iin this thread so far, she was.lucky and I doubt she ll ever do anything like this again, I'd say she is minus a boyfriend and alot of friends after such stupidity.
    I don't think prison time and her costing the taxpayer more money would be beneficial to either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

That's essentially the point I was making, yes?

Not sure what your point is though?

My point is it's ****ing moronic.

He projected to emphasize the seriousness of what she had done, just because that scenario didn't happen doesn't lessen the seriousness of what she did.

He never mentioned that because some chap could have been sitting in a jail sell that she should have gotten a harsher sentence.

tritium wrote: »
    My understanding is that in Ireland the accused does have a right to anonymity, though others may correct me

Don't be letting facts like that get in the way of a good outrage thread.

My point is it's ****ing moronic.

He projected to emphasize the seriousness of what she had done, just because that scenario didn't happen doesn't lessen the seriousness of what she did.

He never mentioned that because some chap could have been sitting in a jail sell that she should have gotten a harsher sentence.

That's exactly what it does actually, because the case would have been far more serious if that actually HAD happened. The point is - it didn't, and you can't punish someone for what didn't happen.

• Advertisement

That's exactly what it does actually, because the case would have been far more serious if that actually HAD happened. The point is - it didn't, and you can't punish someone for what didn't happen.

No it lessens the consequences of what she did, a false claim of rape is still a false claim of rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

How dare you OP! This is the kind of increasing misogynistic vitriol that makes female posters afraid to browse After Hours alone at night. Shame on you.

Ah deary me. Couldn't resist sticking the knife in, could we? Us silly women getting our knickers in a twist over nothing!

I have no issue with threads like this appearing if debated reasonably but it's the comments that often follow them that justifiably piss women off in here.

Case.In.Point:

Beaner1 wrote: »
    She should be genuinely raped for that. She won't be making little of that particular crime then in future.

BANNED

Edit: To mods: I understand I'm breaking the charter with this post but I really believe this problem has to be highlighted. People asking for examples on the other thread who, for some reason, seem to completely miss what's under their nose. HERE'S an example for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

As appalling as the sentence is, I wouldn't regard it as evidence of sexist discrimination in our courts (there is plenty of that, just not in this particular case) - suspended sentences for heinous crimes including sexual assault are the norm here. Our justice system is completely f*cked.

No it lessens the consequences of what she did, a false claim of rape is still a false claim of rape.

It doesn't lessen the consequences of what she did? Making stuff up is trying to exaggerate the consequences of what she did.

She was punished for what she did, she couldn't be punished for what she didn't do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

She needs to be jailed for a considerable time to punish her for what she has cost the taxpayer. A sentence of 6 years with the final two suspended sounds about right.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    She needs to be jailed for a considerable time to punish her for what she has cost the taxpayer. A sentence of 6 years with the final two suspended sounds about right.

That would cost the taxpayer more than the investigation?

Keeping people in prison, especially for six years, costs quite a bit, certainly isn't provided free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Edit: To mods: I understand I'm breaking the charter with this post but I really believe this problem has to be highlighted. People asking for examples on the other thread who, for some reason, seem to completely miss what's under their nose. HERE'S an example for you.

That same poster has been making threats of violence against water charge protesters and threatening to 'out' them for weeks. It's a miracle he hasn't been banned before now.

He's not a misogynist, he's just an all round vile individual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

That same poster has been making threats of violence against water charge protesters and threatening to 'out' them for weeks. It's a miracle he hasn't been banned before now.

He's not a misogynist, he's just an all round vile individual

Course he is.

It doesn't lessen the consequences of what she did? Making stuff up is trying to exaggerate the consequences of what she did.

She was punished for what she did, she couldn't be punished for what she didn't do.

The fact that he wasn't arrested when an arrest was close lessens the consequences of what she did yeah. It doesn't lessen the seriousness of a false accusal of rape.

What RobYourBuilder said about some guy possibly sitting in a jail cell was in response to another poster saying 'poor girl'.

At no point did anyone say she should be punished for what she didn't do, but sure run with that one if you want to...

Ah deary me. Couldn't resist sticking the knife in, could we? Us silly women getting our knickers in a twist over nothing!

I have no issue with threads like this appearing if debated reasonably but it's the comments that often follow them that justifiably piss women off in here.

Case.In.Point:

And as said in the other thread it's an obvious new-reg troll.

• Advertisement

Anyway something has to be done about yer one. To claim rape because it was raining and she wanted to go home and she had lied about having a job isn't the behaviour of someone with any kind of empathy.

Course he is.

As someone in the misogyny thread described, he's not a misogynist but an equal opportunities gobsh!te. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

The misogyny thread was closed. For a reason. I asked ye to move on from the comment, it was dealt with. Move on. Last warning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

disgusting woman, deserved to be punished with a custodial sentence for sure for that. she could have ruined one or more innocent mens lives. scumbag pure and simple. judges must be under pressure to not send people to the clink from what you'd see with so many getting suspended sentences.

The fact that he wasn't arrested when an arrest was close lessens the consequences of what she did yeah. It doesn't lessen the seriousness of a false accusal of rape.

What RobYourBuilder said about some guy possibly sitting in a jail cell was in response to another poster saying 'poor girl'.

At no point did anyone say she should be punished for what she didn't do, but sure run with that one if you want to...

It's not me is running with anything. You and the OP are trying to whip up a bit of outrage on the basis of something that didn't happen. For clarity sake -

Nobody was accused by the Gardaí, arrested for, or even charged with committing rape.

I'm not sure where the OP got the bit about the free flight home either if they're using the same article they quoted from in the OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Bhopkov

Course he is.

Based on what evidence is he a misogynist?

It's not me is running with anything. You and the OP are trying to whip up a bit of outrage on the basis of something that didn't happen.

By your rationale, murder would be a big deal but attempted murder would not be...

By your rationale, murder would be a big deal but attempted murder would not be...

That's a strawman.

It's not me is running with anything. You and the OP are trying to whip up a bit of outrage on the basis of something that didn't happen. For clarity sake -

Nobody was accused by the Gardaí, arrested for, or even charged with committing rape.

I'm not sure where the OP got the bit about the free flight home either if they're using the same article they quoted from in the OP?

I'm not trying to whip up anything, i'm saying that a false accusation of rape is serious business especially given that the woman in question indicated that an actual person she encountered while out on her walk had raped her.

I'm saying that just because an arrest didn't occur in this case doesn't lessen the seriousness of what she did, it only lessens the consequences of what she did.

The guy in the OP may think that the sentence was too lenient, that's a matter of opinion.

And again, as you seem to have ignored this, his post that someone could have ended up in a cell was a response to another poster saying 'poor girl', he never mentioned that she should have been given a stiffer sentence because of what she could have done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Jesus all that to go home early from a job she didn't have ?

Advertisement