Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New jockeys for godolphin

Options
  • 09-11-2014 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭

James Doyle will join Saeed Bin Suroor as first jockey and William Buick will be first rider for Charlie Appleby

Interesting move for both

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

James Doyle will join Saeed Bin Suroor as first jockey and William Buick will be first rider for Charlie Appleby

Interesting move for both

Strange, but I suppose that with Prince Khalid starting to cut back, Doyle is thinking ahead. Buick doesn't have much to lose as he'll probably still get plenty of rides for Gosden.

Still, the Godawful operation gets worse as the years go by. Serves Sheikh Mohammed right for boycotting Coolmore stallions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Seen a comment on Facebook which seems to be a lot of peoples view
    I hope both enjoy the all weather handicaps at Kempton instead of group 1's. Be interesting to see who replaces both.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

its two new trainers they need and a new bloodstock adviser, I could do a better job than Ferguson, but whatever about the foals/yearlings be buys, the number of high profile purchases they have made only to never to be heard of again is shocking
    no wonder Bolger kept any few he sold them - if they went across to Newmarket, they would fall into the big blue hole

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

Will Doyle and Buick be number ones in Dubai as well or are De Sousa and Barzelona still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIVE2_THREE

They can appoint Jesus Christ as lead jockey and even he wouldn't be able to solve the calamitous puzzle that is Godolphin. the stock they have is not up to par and Saeed couldn't train a fish to swim let alone a horse to run. everything that Godolphin touches tarnishes. they forced Bolger to run Dawn Approach in the Derby and that was God awful. they forced Slade Powers team to run in Australia also. Godolphin is live living proof that you can have all the money and it doesn't mean a thing if you're still a fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Just cannot und€r$tand wh¥ Do¥le left a proper Grp1 operation for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

They can appoint Jesus Christ as lead jockey and even he wouldn't be able to solve the calamitous puzzle that is Godolphin. the stock they have is not up to par and Saeed couldn't train a fish to swim let alone a horse to run. everything that Godolphin touches tarnishes. they forced Bolger to run Dawn Approach in the Derby and that was God awful. they forced Slade Powers team to run in Australia also. Godolphin is live living proof that you can have all the money and it doesn't mean a thing if you're still a fool.

Winning three arcs is quiet an achievement for a fella who cant train....as i said before godolphin concentrate in there own racing in dubai. Prime example is ihtimal who was ran in to the ground in dubai before running in the English guineas and oaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Winning three arcs is quiet an achievement for a fella who cant train....as i said before godolphin concentrate in there own racing in dubai. Prime example is ihtimal who was ran in to the ground in dubai before running in the English guineas and oaks.

You honestly think saeed is a good horse trainer with the horses he gets?
    Buick must have lost his mind to take this job, either that or they offered him insane money that he couldn't turn down.

Buick must have lost his mind to take this job, either that or they offered him insane money that he couldn't turn down.
    I think he was a good trainer but godolphin main focus is on dubai now and there own racing which is the main reason why they aint that competitive in europe any more. Since the festival was set up there power in europe has wained.

I think he was a good trainer but godolphin main focus is on dubai now and there own racing which is the main reason why they aint that competitive in europe any more. Since the festival was set up there power in europe has wained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Would do the same in Doyle's position, I would imagine he is on a hefty retainer and will still pick up plenty of good rides elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I can't believe that Godawful are just ignoring Europe for the sake of success in Dubai. If Sheikh Mohammed wants the success that he used to enjoy, then he should scrap the European Godolphin outfit and send his horses to proper trainers such as Stoute, Gosden and Varian, and he's got to start using the Coolmore stallions again. He's too proud and stubborn, but I doubt that anybody close to him is going to say that.......

Your buddy Saeed hasn't won a G1 in Europe in 2 YEARS. Godolphin spent 22 million pounds on horses in that time frame. for the stock that he gets he has shown that he isn't capable. and don't give us that crap about them focusing on Dubai. if that were the case they wouldn't be expanding in Australia and still have 130 horses in Newmarket and 64 in France.

Sheikh Mohammed’s Godolphin racing and bloodstock operation, which has yet to record a Group One winner in Europe this season, announced on Thursday that it had been forced to “let a relatively small number of yard staff go” following the closure of its Highfields Stable on Newmarket’s Bury Road.

The news that Godolphin has laid off staff will cause concern in Newmarket, where Sheikh Mohammed’s extensive racing and breeding interests are the biggest employer and underpin the local economy. In a statement, Hugh Anderson, Godolphin’s managing director, said: “Godolphin today moved the horses out of one of our smaller yards in Newmarket, Highfields.

“Those horses have been distributed around other Godolphin or Darley training yards in the town and, as a result, a number of staff have also been redeployed within the company here or in Dubai. With fewer horses to train, there has unfortunately been a need to let a relatively small number of yard staff go.”

Anderson would not confirm how many Godolphin staff have lost their jobs, but later added that there will “definitely not” be any significant reduction in the number of horses Godolphin has in training. Highfields, a Grade II Listed yard, is believed to have boxes for at least 30 horses. Speculation in Newmarket on Thursday evening suggested that in the region of 20 jobs may have been lost after its closure.

Highfields is one among a number of smaller stabling facilities in Newmarket which are owned by Sheikh Mohammed, in addition to Godolphin’s two main training yards, run by Saeed bin Suroor and Charlie Appleby. Both trainers are believed to have between 150 and 200 horses in training and employ several hundred staff between them.

Given the size of Godolphin’s string in Newmarket and the scale of Sheikh Mohammed’s investment in the sport, the operation’s results in 2014 have been largely disappointing.

Suroor saddled African Story to win the Dubai World Cup, the world’s richest race, in March, but Godolphin’s horses have yet to win a Group One in Europe.
    The operation’s only Group Two successes this summer, meanwhile, were both recorded by Suroor’s veteran Cavalryman, an eight-year-old. Appleby, who took over from the disgraced Mahmood al-Zarooni after the Godolphin doping scandal in spring 2013, has recorded only one European Group-race success this year, in a Group Three event at Epsom in June.

Riding arrangements at Godolphin’s main yards have also been in a state of flux, with Kieren Fallon replacing Silvestre de Sousa as Suroor’s main rider in the spring, and Appleby adopting a policy of using the best rider available.

The closure of Highfields Stable will inevitably prompt speculation in Newmarket that further changes to the Godolphin operation are imminent. The policy adopted at its main yards of separating the jobs of work-riders and grooms is thought to be under review, while Appleby is believed to be in the process of recruiting a new assistant.

Bangor racecourse will earn a footnote in the sport’s history books when it becomes the first British track to stage a card of “schooling” races. Both hurdle events and bumpers will feature on the card on 21 October, giving young horses a chance to experience the racing environment in contests staged on Bangor’s inner course.

“We are in continuous dialogue with owners and trainers and the overwhelming majority have asked if we would consider holding events of this type,” Andrew Morris, Bangor’s clerk of the course, said.

“Now we have introduced the first schooling meeting to Bangor this October, we hope they will grow to become regular occurrences in the calendar.”

The National Trainers’ Federation has launched an online petition urging Newcastle racecourse to reconsider its decision to replace its Flat turf track with an all-weather surface.

“There is a need for an all-weather track in the north and we don’t underestimate the requirements of our members in the north,” Rupert Arnold, the NTF’s chief executive, said. “However, a decision to convert Newcastle’s valued turf course has major long-term consequences for the sport and, as an alternative venue for a northern AWT is still a possibility, the decision must not be rushed.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/aug/28/godolphin-closes-stable-newmarket-staff-redundant

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

What did they do to force Slade Powers team to force the run in Australia?
    tks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

What did they do to force Slade Powers team to force the run in Australia?
    tks

Godolphin/Darley bought him last year for stud purposes i believe but allowed him to remain running for the season for Eddie in the Powers colours. Not certain on this though. It could be a share either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Your buddy Saeed hasn't won a G1 in Europe in 2 YEARS.

To be fair to the man I would say its more to do with the lack of quality horses he has than his ability to train them.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    To be fair to the man I would say its more to do with the lack of quality horses he has than his ability to train them.

Have to disagree. When AOB is wining everything left and right I see the haters come out from everywhere. but Saeed gets a pass for failing with his blue blooded horses ? if AOB put p such dismal numbers the people here would be calling for his head. but the same doesn't apply For Saeed ?

Have to disagree. When AOB is wining everything left and right I see the haters come out from everywhere. but Saeed gets a pass for failing with his blue blooded horses ? if AOB put p such dismal numbers the people here would be calling for his head. but the same doesn't apply For Saeed ?

Just because there blue blooded horses doesn't mean there anywhere near top animals, its not his fault he is getting absolute hounds, sure his best horse in training is Cavalryman who is 8 years old and slow as a boat. The man can train a horse no doubt about it, he trained one of the best race horses of all time to 9 wins from 10 starts and multiple Group 1's.

AOB is winning left right and centre due to the quality of the horses he has. Like I said before AOB has the easiest training job in the country due to the quality of firepower.

Saeed can train horses and he has proved that when he had decent horses available to him,

• Advertisement

Just because there blue blooded horses doesn't mean there anywhere near top animals, its not his fault he is getting absolute hounds, sure his best horse in training is Cavalryman who is 8 years old and slow as a boat. The man can train a horse no doubt about it, he trained one of the best race horses of all time to 9 wins from 10 starts and multiple Group 1's.

That was 15 years ago. this is a what have you done for me lately sport. as I said, if AOB had the same record the haters would be casting him to the gallows
    and you know it.

That was 15 years ago. this is a what have you done for me lately sport. as I said, if AOB had the same record the haters would be casting him to the gallows
    and you know it.

There is no comparison to the 2, AOB has horses Bin Suroor would only dream of having.

AOB is winning left right and centre due to the quality of the horses he has. Like I said before AOB has the easiest training job in the country due to the quality of firepower.

Saeed can train horses and he has proved that when he had decent horses available to him,

Easiest ? LOL come on now, you think it's easy to be in the seat that he holds ?
    firepower means nothing if you don't deploy it properly. before AOB got to Coolmore he was a solid jumps trainer and amateur jockey. before Saeed got to Godolphin he was a Police officer. forgive me If I take AOB in the horsemanship category.

A fine example is Tom Hogan, not the worlds greatest trainer but he got lucky with one horse GLB. AOB got lucky with a ****load of good horses.
    You cannot compare the two trainers

No doubt about the mans quality. He brought Farrh back from 18 months off and another year after that to win 2 Group 1s and place in another 5. A master class in horsemanship that is.

There is no comparison to the 2, AOB has horses Bin Suroor would only dream of having.

Saeed trains for the richest owner in the history of the sport. last I looked Godolphins list of sires is nothing to sneeze at. as I said if you deploy firepower improperly you'll get poor results.

Easiest ? LOL come on now, you think it's easy to be in the seat that he holds ?
    firepower means nothing if you don't deploy it properly. before AOB got to Coolmore he was a solid jumps trainer and amateur jockey. before Saeed got to Godolphin he was a Police officer. forgive me If I take AOB in the horsemanship category.

Yeah I stand by that, he has pressure I know to keep winning G1. This man does not wake up worrying how he pays he staff or the other things that every other trainer in Ireland worries about. He knows every year he has a number of G1 winners in his arsenal .
    His firepower are bred to win and if you give those sort of horses to an average/good trainer he will win G1s. Ask anyone who trains racehorses and they will tell you yeah he has the easiest training job in Ireland.

A fine example is Tom Hogan, not the worlds greatest trainer but he got lucky with one horse GLB. AOB got lucky with a ****load of good horses.
    You cannot compare the two trainers

Oh ok he "Got lucky" you say ? racing has nothing to do with luck and everything to do with skill and ability. possessing the proper rational to place horses properly based on their skill set. if horse racing were about luck the Green Monkey would have won 10 G1's instead of being a 16 million dollar dud

Yeah I stand by that, he has pressure I know to keep winning G1. This man does not wake up worrying how he pays he staff or the other things that every other trainer in Ireland worries about. He knows every year he has a number of G1 winners in his arsenal .
    His firepower are bred to win and if you give those sort of horses to an average/good trainer he will win G1s. Ask anyone who trains racehorses and they will tell you yeah he has the easiest training job in Ireland.

Nor does Saeed have those worries. G1 races are not given. go look back on the start of the past two seasons. AOB's horses were in a bit of a rut and this place was about to explode with worry. oh the stuff they said

• Advertisement

NO luck involved? total bull, besides skill and agility everyone knows you need some luck.

Id say even you could train GLB to acheive what he did, my point is that similar to a jockey a trainer should be assessed on what he is training or riding.
    Your point is he cannot train ( typical grandstand jockey/trainer attitude ) where as I have seen results to suggest he can, I also think AOB is a betyter trainer than him for sure but your trying to say he cannot train. Would he still have a job if he could not?

Advertisement