Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intercounty Cross country Champs DkIT 23/11/2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I ran this this morning. Very water logged. 2k lap has 3x12m steep hills. Lots of opportunities to slip, should be fun and then one more short hill about 200m out from the finish.

are there ditches in the course (as in the photos from previous years)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

RayCun wrote: »
    are there ditches in the course (as in the photos from previous years)?

No, this is a different course from previous years.

Info released here including course map, timetable, directions etc.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/competition/glohealth-cross-country-championships-dundalk/

Seems it is a 2k lap, the worst part in my experience is always along the straight on the right hand side of the map, seems to be the boggiest ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 portwest

In the u-14 race will it be a small lap followed by a big lap, or a big lap followed by a small lap does anybody know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I see from his blog that Paul Pollock is back to defend his title. Says he's not in the shape he was a few months ago but is getting fitter all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I see from his blog that Paul Pollock is back to defend his title. Says he's not in the shape he was a few months ago but is getting fitter all the time.
    Might be hard to beat

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/fionnuala-britton-headlines-senior-womens-race

Mary Cullen on the entry list, that certainly makes the women's race much more interesting! Wonder can she push Fionnuala the whole way?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

pconn062 wrote: »
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/fionnuala-britton-headlines-senior-womens-race

Mary Cullen on the entry list, that certainly makes the women's race much more interesting! Wonder can she push Fionnuala the whole way?

Wonder when she switched to sligo ac?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

conavitzky wrote: »
    Wonder when she switched to sligo ac?

Would not be the first time someone got this wrong:
    http://www.northsligoac.com/gallery/cullen%E2%80%99s-comeback-trail-include-irish-indoors

dna_leri wrote: »
    Ah here ya must have been searching for hours to find that! Fight, fight, fight! Seriously though, has she turned to the dark side! I have seen her out on the main road a few times lately but dont know whos she is registered with?

• Advertisement

Great to see her back.

Only 13 counties in senior mens and less in the womens, where are the rest?, Likes of Limerick, Waterford , Sligo, Laois have plenty of top runners and no teams ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

conavitzky wrote: »
    Ah here ya must have been searching for hours to find that! Fight, fight, fight! Seriously though, has she turned to the dark side! I have seen her out on the main road a few times lately but dont know whos she is registered with?

I had not heard she changed, I doubt it, no reason to.
    Sure aren't we all the one anyway ;)
    Seriously though I hope she does well, she has had more setbacks than anyone and a weaker person would have given up by now.

youngrun wrote: »
    Great to see her back.

Only 13 counties in senior mens and less in the womens, where are the rest?, Likes of Limerick, Waterford , Sligo, Laois have plenty of top runners and no teams ..

Ya, she has been plagued with injury by all accounts. It has been alluded to on ultrapercys thread already the fact that people dont buy into the club scene in athletics as much as in football soccer or rugby? Maybe something that needs to be looked at?

youngrun wrote: »

Poor journalism if you ask me. No mention of Paul Pollock or Mary Cullen who are both serious contenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Poor journalism if you ask me. No mention of Paul Pollock or Mary Cullen who are both serious contenders.

Not really as Mary not running.

Not really as Mary not running.

I took it she was going by the preview on the Athletics Ireland website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Sounded like a quality race with Pollock defending his crown in the end but being pushed all the way by Hanrahan and Clohisey. Any feedback from the live spectators?

Sounded like a quality race with Pollock defending his crown in the end but being pushed all the way by Hanrahan and Clohisey. Any feedback from the live spectators?

Great race, very strange start with john travers racing nearly a 100m ahead of the field before blowing up after 2k! Then dan mulhare had a big lead but dropped off too. Great finish in the men's race, came down to a sprint with pollock winning from hanrahan and clohissey. Fionnuala was amazing in the women's race, destroyed the field and hammered round the course, Michelle Finn 2nd, Laura Crowe 3rd. Boys under 18 was also a cracker with mulcare from Ennis winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Any feedback from the live spectators?
    Walking Dead?? Monday @ 9 Fox TV....:D:D:D Sorry Kiely!....Couldn't resist!!:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Some Kind of Wizard

Yeah what was Travers thinking?! One of the most bizarre things I've seen at any race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Travers start sounds similar to the Gerry Lindgren school of racing tactics. Although, Lindgren is a little more conservative as he only recommends to start sprinting at halfway.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=841989795851910&id=100001226913832

Great day and event. Was on list to run senior but only if needed to make up a six as injured last 2 weeks /in the end team had 9. Our first guy was top ten with the rest a good way back. Excellent wins by Mulcaire and Britton were first races I saw. A pity Mary Cullen didnt run. Some very good runs by Finn and Crowe also.
    Mens race was a classic, the kind that should be on video or livestream. Could not believe JT early on, maybe he thought someone would go with him? Pollock was wise in picking his way through the field , though I thought he would get caught in a sprint, thrilling race, and easy to watch at two sides of main drag. Good to see some new/up and coming faces like Maunsell - where did he come from, some run again?! - and Dooney , Brady etc making an impact.
    Credit to Dundalk IT and Athletics Louth , didnt see much wrong there yesterday.

Any word on the Euro Cross Country teams yet ?

Advertisement