Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intercounty Cross country Champs DkIT 23/11/2014

Options
  • 09-11-2014 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭

So this is only two weeks now so time for a thread. It will be held in DkIT this year so personally I'm delighted to have it in my own County. :) Good course as well, ground is quite boggy though with all the rain recently.

On the women's side we have Fionnuala Britton who is targeting this ahead of the European Champs in Bulgaria in December. I also heard a rumour about Mary Cullen but I don't even know is she is training at the moment? Any other names?

On the mens side, Brendan O'Niell is showing more form that anyone else at the moment. Other names are Paul Pollock (is he back yet?), Clohissey, Mulahre brothers maybe. Any know if McCarthy is targeting this again? Fagan maybe?

I'm really looking forward to this, link from AI below.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/fionnuala-britton-launches-glohealth-cross-country-championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

I wonder will Ciara mageean be running?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Some Kind of Wizard

Unless there is a change in form O'Neill certainly has the edge on Clohissey at the moment, given he has beaten him over 8 and 10k XC in recent weeks.
    Mark Christie could give him a run as he was with him till the final lap at the Gerry Farnan and it's 4k longer at Intercounties which would probably suit Christie more?? Think O'Neill said he is targeting a fast 5,000m in the Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Has there ever being a Rocky like moment at these championships Where a rank outsider finished in the top 6 or whatever it is and made the Irish team for the Euros?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Any more details on the course etc, will it be the same as Interclubs this year? Could be muddy after all the kids races I am sure.
    O Neill is in flying form, probably favourite although there are always plenty going well and peaking for this, the likes of Christie, Travers , Thornton , Clohissey, Rooney cant be discounted. I wonder would Fagan or Batt run it. Would be great to see Mageean run.
    Re surprise packets well Kevin Maunsell was one in the GF/Open XC he might be one to watch also.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

I'll go with a surprise package in the mens, think Conor Bradley will be that surprise. Not sure if he has enough to win but could be in the mix. On his way back from injury and the timing could be just right for him. Won the Donegal Senior XC last week so seems to be hitting a bit of form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

youngrun wrote: »
    Any more details on the course etc, will it be the same as Interclubs this year? Could be muddy after all the kids races I am sure.
    O Neill is in flying form, probably favourite although there are always plenty going well and peaking for this, the likes of Christie, Travers , Thornton , Clohissey, Rooney cant be discounted. I wonder would Fagan or Batt run it. Would be great to see Mageean run.
    Re surprise packets well Kevin Maunsell was one in the GF/Open XC he might be one to watch also.

The course will be similar to the interclubs, probably a 2k lap but with a different start position. It is quite boggy ground so if the rain doesn't ease off and with the kids races I imagine it will be quite mucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

pconn062 wrote: »
    The course will be similar to the interclubs, probably a 2k lap but with a different start position. It is quite boggy ground so if the rain doesn't ease off and with the kids races I imagine it will be quite mucky!

Nationals are always run over a 1500m loop, with a smaller lap of 1000m available where necessary.

Nationals are always run over a 1500m loop, with a smaller lap of 1000m available where necessary.

My apologies, didn't know that. I have run several x-country races at that venue and it is mostly a 2k lap (the National inter-clubs this year was run there on a 2k laps), but I know a 1500m lap is also available.

Interesting comments from Fionnuala Britton here on the selection process for the Europeans:
    The top three in each race at 'nationals' will automatically be selected for Europeans and Britton feels strongly that, after that, home-based athletes in the junior and U-23 grades should be given priority ahead of US college athletes "unless they're clearly a massive step ahead of those at home".

"I don't think that coming in the top 100 in NCAAs is enough to justify being brought home. Year after year they've shown that they're tired after a tough NCAA season or tired after the travel.

From the Indo

Surely a 2km lap would make more sense, less or no lapping and 5 laps beats 6.67 any day for those running ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Is the AAI strict with the 8 athletes per club in the Nationals?

In the Munster Intermediates Men yesterday, our club had entered over the quota. Likewise in all County meets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Batt won't be back due to US commitments but has shown decent form on the cross so could very well be in the shout for a spot

Maunsell seems to be maintaining form with a good win in the BHAA's at the weekend of Hayes and Maher.

Is Rooney back in Ireland? noticed he is no longer on the NAZ Elite roster.

Clohissey is said to be targetting this and should be in good form as well as Travers but I think both will be fighting for that last podium spot

Other than that I think possibles that could be in the hunt if running (though not 100%), Mick Mulhare (is he training at the moment) Mark Hanrahan (I seem to remember him doing a bit of early season XC racing, Dave McCarthy (think he suffered injury since Rathfarnham so not sure what his current fitness is like)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 portwest

Whats the terrain of the course like? Are there hills involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

flat, with a couple of dips I think, but not hills as such

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

ECOLII wrote: »
    Batt won't be back due to US commitments but has shown decent form on the cross so could very well be in the shout for a spot

Maunsell seems to be maintaining form with a good win in the BHAA's at the weekend of Hayes and Maher.

Is Rooney back in Ireland? noticed he is no longer on the NAZ Elite roster.

Clohissey is said to be targetting this and should be in good form as well as Travers but I think both will be fighting for that last podium spot

Other than that I think possibles that could be in the hunt if running (though not 100%), Mick Mulhare (is he training at the moment) Mark Hanrahan (I seem to remember him doing a bit of early season XC racing, Dave McCarthy (think he suffered injury since Rathfarnham so not sure what his current fitness is like)

First I have heard about Rooney being back in Ireland. Think the Rooney reference is about Colm Rooney but surely won't be in contention

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Some Kind of Wizard

eldiva wrote: »
    First I have heard about Rooney being back in Ireland. Think the Rooney reference is about Colm Rooney but surely won't be in contention

David Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Ciara will run the U23 race but would have been interested to see her against the top Seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Ciara will run the U23 race but would have been interested to see her against the top Seniors.

Is the U23 not run as part of the Senior Race?

• Advertisement

Is the U23 not run as part of the Senior Race?

it is

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

What's happened to joe Sweeney? He hasn't really come back since the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

David Rooney

Is Dave Rooney back though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

portwest wrote: »
    Whats the terrain of the course like? Are there hills involved?

I ran this this morning. Very water logged. 2k lap has 3x12m steep hills. Lots of opportunities to slip, should be fun and then one more short hill about 200m out from the finish.

I ran this this morning. Very water logged. 2k lap has 3x12m steep hills. Lots of opportunities to slip, should be fun and then one more short hill about 200m out from the finish.

It can presumably only get wetter and muckier? And with ten or so races before the mens it could be like ALSAA a couple of years back

It can presumably only get wetter and muckier? And with ten or so races before the mens it could be like ALSAA a couple of years back

Yup it can be a real bog when it gets wet. A big group of kids were down training on it this morning and there will be a few clubs in using it during the weeks as well, could be a real mudbath! I ran on it before when it was a mudbath and it's a challenging course no doubt.

Interested in your opinion on what you think of it as a venue for a big event like this? Course, facilities etc? Personally I think it's a good venue, lots of parking, just off the M1, tough course but I could be described as biased! (I work in the college!).

I was there for the Interclubs earlier this year, and the low numbers meant it was a bit bleak atmosphere wise!. Plenty of parking, good venue inside the gym etc. Could do with some tea and buns!. And maybe a marquee or some shelter out on the course. The course was a fair one , got fairly heavy end of mens race, but I think if its a flat mudbath its better than a muddy and hilly course which could just end up being a farce. The best guys will win out , it will be a test of endurance and speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Really liked it, I think it'll be very spectator friendly (I'm bringing a ladder to get on the roof of the green cabin :)
    Lots of parking, my issue today was I had nowhere to have a wee but I assume portaloos are on the way.

The course itself doesn't appear to be that tough but those little steep hills are evenly spread out and I can see the accumulation of them wearing you down, the surface water means you're going to have to be very careful not to fall and with a few twists and turns that'll be hard and a nice long finish down the middle.

And most importantly, a McDonalds only 5 mins down the road :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 portwest

RayCun wrote: »
    flat, with a couple of dips I think, but not hills as such

thanks RayCun

Advertisement