Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014 graduates - the next step onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done everyone who did Raheny. I must make a note to do it next year as it sounds like a good one. I've been thinking about target races so have decided on the k club 10 k in April then the race series over the summer. Won't be doing the marathon though as its just after my 40th and I intend to eat and drink to my hearts content around then!

Training is going OK. I'm struggling to keep it consistant due to lack of time and bad weather. I really need to just toughen up! I feel better now I have a goal though even if it is in April. My best 10k is 52:xx but that was during a training run a couple of weeks pre marathon so I'm not sure what to aim for. I was thinking of doing a parkrun on Saturday and running flat out to get an idea of where I'm at. If I do that I was going to skip the session on Friday, but should I still do an easy run on Sunday? Maybe a shorter one?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, the parkrun seems like a good idea to see where you are at, I'd take the Sunday off if you do.

K-Club should be good, hopefully a few from here do it and we can compare notes afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

aquinn wrote: »
    Well, what news from Rahney? Everyone have a good race/day?

Great day, great race. Still working my way through the diabetic coma that is their goody bag! Very happy with my time (44:06) and there seemed to be some good pb's and times about.

Clearlier - have to say I'm loving the plan, seems to be working well. Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

chickey2 wrote: »
    Well done everyone who did Raheny. I must make a note to do it next year as it sounds like a good one. I've been thinking about target races so have decided on the k club 10 k in April then the race series over the summer. Won't be doing the marathon though as its just after my 40th and I intend to eat and drink to my hearts content around then!

Training is going OK. I'm struggling to keep it consistant due to lack of time and bad weather. I really need to just toughen up! I feel better now I have a goal though even if it is in April. My best 10k is 52:xx but that was during a training run a couple of weeks pre marathon so I'm not sure what to aim for. I was thinking of doing a parkrun on Saturday and running flat out to get an idea of where I'm at. If I do that I was going to skip the session on Friday, but should I still do an easy run on Sunday? Maybe a shorter one?

Hi chickey2

If you want to do a parkrun because you want to do a race then go ahead but it's of limited use as a guide to where you'll be in April. 8 - 9 week of consistent training can make you an awful lot fitter!

If you do the 5k on Saturday then yes do an easy run on Sunday but keep it fairly short and towards the low end of easy effort.

To get consistency you need to make running part of your routine, whether that's the routine of getting up at 5am, running during lunch time or straight after you get home while your dinner is cooking is up to you. What's important is that you're not thinking about it, there's no decision to make - it's just something that you do. That's something that a club or a training partner can really help with actually. It's a lot harder to just not do something when you're expected by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

aquinn wrote: »
    Well, what news from Rahney? Everyone have a good race/day?

Super day for me. Was a near last minute entry. Only decided to do it 12 days out and hadn't ran a mile faster than 9 min pace in 6 months. Went in with a PB of 39:54 aimed for sub 39 and came out with a 38:15 avg 7:43 pace. Clearly marathon training did have benefits for the shorter distances.

Race report here if anyone is interested. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93997564&postcount=571

From a training perspective here my self tested max HR was a good bit off. When it came to pushing it hard at a race turned out I hit 206 BPM having previously thought 199/200 was my top.

• Advertisement

Clearlier wrote: »
    Hi chickey2

If you want to do a parkrun because you want to do a race then go ahead but it's of limited use as a guide to where you'll be in April. 8 - 9 week of consistent training can make you an awful lot fitter!

If you do the 5k on Saturday then yes do an easy run on Sunday but keep it fairly short and towards the low end of easy effort.

To get consistency you need to make running part of your routine, whether that's the routine of getting up at 5am, running during lunch time or straight after you get home while your dinner is cooking is up to you. What's important is that you're not thinking about it, there's no decision to make - it's just something that you do. That's something that a club or a training partner can really help with actually. It's a lot harder to just not do something when you're expected by someone else.

I think I just wanted to do the parkrun to see if I've progressed but you're right about it being of limited use as a guide to April. Think I'll just stick to the plan and end up with a massive pb when I eventually do a race! (The fact I've just realised I have something else on Saturday morning has nothing to do with it!)

You're right about the consistency. During the week I get up at 6am and run. Think I might try setting my alarm every day for that time and even if I'm not running just get up anyway and do some some core work. As the runs get longer I might try runmuting. My trip to work is 12k so I've not been doing it recently. My OH works beside me so I can run in and drive home (or vice versa, but its uphill on the way home!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Hi Clearlier, I've finally managed to gradually build back up my mileage to a point where I'm good to jump into the graduate plan.

Is there a point I could jump in or should I start from the beginning? I'm thinking of starting on Week 3 with the interval session tomorrow (5x3min @ 5k pace)
    I ran a 51:12 10K on Sunday, aiming for a 48:XX in Adare in 4 weeks time.
    Current mileage is 35mpw.

Thanks.

Hi Clearlier, I've finally managed to gradually build back up my mileage to a point where I'm good to jump into the graduate plan.

Is there a point I could jump in or should I start from the beginning? I'm thinking of starting on Week 3 with the interval session tomorrow (5x3min @ 5k pace)
    I ran a 51:12 10K on Sunday, aiming for a 48:XX in Adare in 4 weeks time.
    Current mileage is 35mpw.

Thanks.

Hi MaggotBrain, good work! Starting at week 3 where the interval session is 5*3mins shouldn't pose any great difficulties. Make sure that it's no faster than 5k pace though and feel free to take longer recoveries if you're still breathing hard after 3 minutes. Be careful about increasing volume/mileage. You're now introducing some faster running which is more demanding so even an initial slight drop in volume/mileage would be perfectly normal.

Just over 9 miles done this afternoon - what a great day for it. Smashing sunshine and not too cold a wind. Endorphins buzzing :)

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Just over 9 miles done this afternoon - what a great day for it. Smashing sunshine and not too cold a wind. Endorphins buzzing :)

It was a great day for a long run alright! Its the first time in ages the wind didn't bother me. I went up to bohernabreena reservoir which is my favourite route. I did 15.42km in the 100 minutes whereas last week I only did 14.41! Heart rate was 156 today and 155 last week so more or less the same. I actually didn't really look at my watch today, just ran on effort and was thrilled when I saw the final numbers.

• Advertisement

chickey2 wrote: »
    It was a great day for a long run alright! Its the first time in ages the wind didn't bother me. I went up to bohernabreena reservoir which is my favourite route. I did 15.42km in the 100 minutes whereas last week I only did 14.41! Heart rate was 156 today and 155 last week so more or less the same. I actually didn't really look at my watch today, just ran on effort and was thrilled when I saw the final numbers.

I've heard others mentioning there before. sounds like you're buzzing too, I'd say you were delighted with the numbers after alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Today was indeed a glorious day for a run :-) even if I only managed 2 very slow miles its fantastic to be back running in any capacity. Choose the beautiful St Catherines park which looked gorgeous in the sun. Have been given the ok to run but instructions are short slow runs so it could be a while before I can even attempt the graduate plan. Looking forward to getting stuck in eventually though!

Firedance wrote: »
    Today was indeed a glorious day for a run :-) even if I only managed 2 very slow miles its fantastic to be back running in any capacity. Choose the beautiful St Catherines park which looked gorgeous in the sun. Have been given the ok to run but instructions are short slow runs so it could be a while before I can even attempt the graduate plan. Looking forward to getting stuck in eventually though!

That's great news firedance - welcome back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    That's great news firedance - welcome back!

+1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I was in Hamburg for the weekend, so have not ran since Thursday. I went out this afternoon and did my long run (20k), was not as difficult as I was thinking it was going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Did 13K at the weekend and felt good, trying to build back up to 15-20K and target a Half Marathon in the next month or two.

I was going to try a Duathlon in 2-3 weeks time, but I don't really fancy getting on a bike in this freezing weather.....might stick with another 10K or 10 miler....does anyone have any suggestions for the Dublin/Kildare/Wicklow area for the end of February.

I think that there is a HM on in Wicklow around the 22nd March 'Gaol Break', might give that a bash :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Mullingar half on Paddy's day could be a good target race.

http://www.mullingarhalfmarathon.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

Some people going well in the new year! fairplay!

Clearlier, your commitment to the graduates is very admirable! :)

Myself I've been struggling since early Jan; have developed an annoying niggle in my hip that comes and goes seemingly at random. (Altho hard running defo triggers it and running successive days)

Been to the physio once where he just felt it was a bit of tightness in my hip/ass/quad and if I stretched and foam rolled a bit more it would release but that hasn't worked out. After a bit of email back and forth I'm seeing him again tomorrow, so fingers crossed I'll be okay in a few weeks at this stage. Really missing running.

crisco10 wrote: »

Myself I've been struggling since early Jan; have developed an annoying niggle in my hip that comes and goes seemingly at random. (Altho hard running defo triggers it and running successive days)

Been to the physio once where he just felt it was a bit of tightness in my hip/ass/quad and if I stretched and foam rolled a bit more it would release but that hasn't worked out. After a bit of email back and forth I'm seeing him again tomorrow, so fingers crossed I'll be okay in a few weeks at this stage. Really missing running.

Good luck tomorrow! Keep us posted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is there anything to be gained from racing this weekend?

I'm trying to weigh up the benefits of racing against the benefits of just keeping the training going with a little bit of consistency.

The race in question is a 10K race in Enniscorthy. My main goal at the distance is not until April, just wondering if it's worth racing the distance this weekend?

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »

I'm trying to weigh up the benefits of racing against the benefits of just keeping the training going with a little bit of consistency.

The race in question is a 10K race in Enniscorthy. My main goal at the distance is not until April, just wondering if it's worth racing the distance this weekend?

As part of your training plan, not really unless there's some psychological benefits of laying down a marker or finding out where you are. Knowing yourself is important though and if racing regularly is what you enjoy about running go for it. If working towards a specific goal is what you enjoy then maybe give the race a miss. If you do race then just do an easy run on Tuesday instead of the session, also go easy on the long run if you're doing it.

crisco10 wrote: »

Hey Crisco, it's a shame about your injury woes. If you can then I'd suggest you keep doing whatever pain free running you can. If your physio can't sort it then there's no harm in trying someone else out. A good running coach might be able to observe your gait and see if there are any notable imbalances causing trouble. Also, physio covers a pretty broad area and different physios have strengths in different areas. It would probably be a good idea to do the 30 day challenge too if you haven't already. Lots of good ideas there for strength and mobility in your hip area.

Clearlier wrote: »
    As part of your training plan, not really unless there's some psychological benefits of laying down a marker or finding out where you are. Knowing yourself is important though and if racing regularly is what you enjoy about running go for it. If working towards a specific goal is what you enjoy then maybe give the race a miss. If you do race then just do an easy run on Tuesday instead of the session, also go easy on the long run if you're doing it.

Thanks, If I race it would be instead of a long run on Sunday. I'd try to get a session done today, then some easy miles tomorrow and maybe 3-4 miles on Saturday.

One advantage to racing would be to assess where I am as I haven't run a 10K race since August.

Gauntlet has kind of been thrown down:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94126156&postcount=1767

Thanks, If I race it would be instead of a long run on Sunday. I'd try to get a session done today, then some easy miles tomorrow and maybe 3-4 miles on Saturday.

One advantage to racing would be to assess where I am as I haven't run a 10K race since August.

Well when you put it like that :D

You can't back out now Adrian, or you'll never hear the end of it!!!

Heard this while listening to a podcast, while running today (smug look on face):

David Linden, professor of neuroscience at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (therefore a credible dude), was being interviewed about his book, "Touch" and was asked how he looks after his own brain:
    "What I do to strengthen and protect my brain is physical exercise. The single best thing you can do for your cognitive function, particularly when you are in middle age (ahem!), is is to get out of your chair and move your body around. It is a much bigger effect than any of these brain training games or puzzles or things that people want to sell you… the benefits are enormous… reduces anxiety, prevents depression, it improves cognitive function... if there’s a single thing to do for your brain health, do 30 mins of aerobic exercise a day"

Link to full interview for anyone interested, it's got some great stuff about touch, pain, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

annapr wrote: »
    You can't back out now Adrian, or you'll never hear the end of it!!!
    Backing out is. Not. An. Option. :D

Fair enough, I better turn up so.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Backing out is. Not. An. Option. :D

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

I'm almost tempted to make the trip to Enniscorthy as cheerleader :D

• Advertisement

Best of luck in Enniscorthy Adrian.

I did the Tymon parkrun today for the first time I much preferred it to Marley. Its much smaller so less crowded and you don't have to queue for the scanners. I did it in 24:35 which is a pb so I was delighted. I was the seventh woman and first in my age category (although four of the six that beat me were older than me!)

Advertisement